Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-14-09 10:30PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

10/14 Fountainhead

Carl, Mo, and I went to Fountainhead to catch some crappie. We were using live minnows suspended under bobbers. We started off fairly quickly when Mo caught a big crappie. Carl caught a small bass and then Mo caught a keeper sized bass that made acquaintances with his crappie in the cooler. Then it slowed down for a while. I can't remember exactly but I think Mo caught another undersized bass and so did I. Mine was probably no longer than my hand. We motored around to a few of Carl's honey holes with no luck. I managed to catch a better but still undersized bass on a jig. Carl and Mo didn't think my jig looked like anything they had seen living in the water but that bass didn't seem to share their thoughts. I absolutely LOVE flipping and pitching jigs. Next to topwater frogs they are easily my favorite way to catch bass.  The rest of the day was quiet and COLD! I believe we were off the water around noon.

Mo had to leave but Carl and I picked up some more minnows and went to a local pond in his neighborhood to try to cross crappie off of my list. After about an hour there we decided to pack it up and call it a day. I can't speak for Carl but I think I could feel my bones starting to freeze. It is amazing how cold it was after how warm it was yesterday. I think we were lucky to catch the few fish that we did considering the major temperature drop that we experienced in the last 24 hours. We saw a lot of fish on the graph but they were hanging in 18-20' of water along deep ditches and drop offs. I think we could have caught them on a deep water dropshot but I don't really use that technique and didn't have any of the necessary hardware, besides, we were there for crappie!

I'll have to wait until another day to cross crappie off of my list, but I am fine with that. Carl has been an excellent guide and helped me cross two species off my list in less than a week and also to fill my freezer with perch fillets.

It was nice to finally meet the famed "Dr. Mo" that I've heard so much about. I will post pictures once I get them from Carl's camera which I forgot to bring home with me again for the second day in a row.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Oct-14-09 10:32PM)

#2 Oct-15-09 5:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 10/14 Fountainhead

Those crappie are schooled up....somewhere!

Did you show Carl your giant sized swim bait?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Oct-15-09 8:28AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

No, not yet but I'll show him soon.

#4 Oct-23-09 5:56PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Some pics:

Mo with his big crappie: