Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-29-09 8:54AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

New England Striped Bass Fishing

I had to be in Portsmouth NH for a meeting last week so it was a perfect excuse to drive up, take a few days off and get some fishing in. As it turns out, a buddy of mine was heading up to Fishers Island this past weekend, a trip that I had originally passed on due to my work schedule. We were back on!

So I packed up the truck and did the long drive up last Thursday stopping in Auburn MA for the night. After a successful meeting on Friday, work went to the back seat and I was in mini vacation mode. I drove an hour and a half northwest to the middle of nowhere where my cousin has a house on 125 acres of wooded land. I had a great night with my cousin and his wife who I hadn't seen in quite a while. It was 34 degrees up there that night and a reminder that fall is here and thoughts of migrating bass made me happy. The next morning I left my cousin's house for a 3 hour drive to New London CT to catch the ferry to the Island. I met my friend Charlie and his wife and 9 month old son who were along for the long weekend.

With Monday and Tuesday off from work it was all aligning to be the perfect weekend of fishing. Except that no one told the weather and the fish. The winds were brutal early Saturday night and when they finally died down they left a lot of floating weed in the water making fishing tough. Sunday night started off with light wind but a huge swell coming in due to an offshore storm and again lots of weed. Then after midnight the wind picked up and made impossible to fish the spots that weren't affected by the swell and weed.

We ended up picking a few fish on both nights but decided that last night wasn't getting any better as thunderstorms were forecasted and the wind was only going to increase after that. It simply wasn't worth putting our bodies through the abuse of sleepless nights climbing around rocks in a pounding surf for just a few small fish. We both caught the ferry off the island yesterday and are enjoying a quiet day off at home today.

The trip certainly wasn't a bust since I got to see my cousin and his wife and spent time with some great friends. Oh yeah, along with a few little ones I did manage one decent fish while I was there. This one was 19 Lbs and ate a live eel.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/19Lb.jpg

Last edited by Paul Naj (Sep-29-09 10:24AM)

#2 Sep-29-09 9:31AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: New England Striped Bass Fishing

Outstanding!

That is a classic New England style of fishing picture. Nicely done Paul!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-29-09 11:05AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

That's a beauty, Paul. How long is that rod you were using?

#4 Sep-29-09 1:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

Tica rod?

#5 Sep-29-09 5:26PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

It's a 10' rod that I built myself on a Sabre 1208 blank. I plan on building another 10 footer this winter to throw some of the lighter plugs I fish better. I'm also not going up there again without a new Van Staal reel to put on the rod. The Nautil reel I was using is waterproof but the drag is not and it was sticky after taking a dunking or two.

#6 Sep-29-09 7:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

That Van Stall will set you back a few pennies!

#7 Sep-29-09 8:13PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

I would never have considered one in the past until I borrowed my friends VS250 back in June. It's completely waterproof with a smooth drag and can literally be fished while submerged under water. Many of the spots we fish up there require the reel to get dunked getting on and off rocks. I also prefer a manual pickup to a bail since I've snapped off a few $10 to $15 plugs when the bail on my reel snapped shut. I figure 40 or 50 more times of that happening will equal a new reel. hmm

#8 Sep-29-09 9:00PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Naj, do you catch fish like that on a regular basis? WOW!

#9 Sep-29-09 9:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Those Van Staals are some of the coolest looking reels I've ever seen.

If they don't have bails, how do you operate them?

#10 Sep-30-09 7:52AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Rob, that used to be the bulk of my fishing when I lived in NJ, I don't do too much of it anymore. Now it's 2 or 3 trips a year. Typical fish in the 5 to 15 pound range with fish in the 20's considered a good fish. We would get a shot at the occasional big fish in the 30 and 40 pound class. Anything over 50 pounds is considered a trophy. My biggest from the surf was 34 pounds and from a boat 42 pounds. The picture below is the 42.

Dan, a manual pickup is just that. You use your index finger to manually catch the line and pull it towards you as you start to crank the reel. This puts the line on a ball bearing roller where it is then just like any reel with a bail. When you fish saltwater bails are notoriously subject to failure because of the elements. They either get tight from salt intrusion and don't shut properly or, as I have experienced, can snap shut due to the force of casting a 2 to 3 ounce plug and possibly snap off your lure. This happens because there's times you need an 80 to 100 yard cast just to be in the fishable zone. Other times the fish are right at your feet.

For you guys that have never done it, surf fishing is an amazing sport. You really become one with the elements and there are so many factors that can affect your success but when you figure them out you have the chance at scoring with some really big fish. In New England this is taken to the extreme. To get to the rock I was standing on in the picture above, as an example, I had to walk about a quarter of a mile down a beach that has very little open sand and is mostly large pebble, baseball to softball sized rocks that move around underfoot and bowling ball sized rocks near the point. Once you get to the point you then need to climb onto a few bigger rocks and then wade in the water stepping over and around medium to large rocks covered with thick slippery seaweed. You then get to an elevated boulder in knee to chest deep water where you need to climb up on between waves so that you have a nice perch to fish from. They are rarely flat and comfortable. We wear cleats on our boots called Korkers to help from slipping on the rocks. Then you're casting past the boulder field to get to the fish which, if and when hooked, you need to get past all the obstacles.

We are typically fishing dusk to dawn and that alone is physically demanding. Throw on top of that the occasional bruises you get from getting knocked around on rocks and falls that happen from time to time. Sunday night I got blasted in the gut by a breaking wave while wading that sent me on my but and I bruised my tailbone. It sounds nuts to a lot of people but there is little in fishing that is more satisfying than that moment you see in the picture above. It’s always great to get away fishing and spend time with friends but the reason I make the long trips up there is the increased odds of getting a bite from a bass that’s 30 pounds and bigger. I’m toying with the idea of one more trip in October but that may be tough. Although writing about it has gotten me juiced again.

VS250 with Manual Pickup-
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/vs250b.jpg

42#-
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/paul_naj_42.jpg

#11 Sep-30-09 7:56AM

Ernie
Administrator

Who is that young guy in the picture?

I have used a Van Staal....amazing!

Board footer