Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-01-07 5:17PM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

What should we do with the crappie?

A noticable increase in the crappie population - does this pose a threat to the bass?  We've noticed a number of dead crappie left on the shore.  Should they be removed from the lakes?

#2 May-01-07 5:51PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Re: What should we do with the crappie?

whether or not they should be removed, I'm not sure

however, leaving them lying on the banks to die is not acceptable by any means.  This gives fisherman a bad name, adds fuel for the likes of PETA and other anti-fishing groups, and other negative outcomes.

If it turns out they do need to be removed - eat em up boys! they are a very tasty fish.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#3 May-01-07 6:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

I will echo Curly's yesses and agree with L1Ranger!

Here is what the state biologist (John Odenkirk) said after he electroshocked the lakes a few weeks back.

"Promote harvest of black crappie in all ponds. You should require that any crappie caught be removed from the ponds.  They are excellent eating but will stunt and stockpile in your ponds. They will also suppress the more desirable fish (largemouth bass and bluegill)."

We are working with the board to make sure this happens. And welcome to the board bassman!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Oct-26-07 8:31AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,

I heard early fall is a great time to catch Crappie because theyt are trying to fatten up for the winter. What is the best method for catching Crappie from shore? A jig on a slip bobber? I hear there are lots of crappie in Cedar - maybe they hang around the sunken chrismas tree?

Any advice would be much appreciated.. Thanks

Khanh

#5 Oct-26-07 2:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

What Curly said but try near the spillway with the same rig.

If I ever get some time to fish Cedar, I want to try to catch some bait and use it with a bobber trying different depths.

Ernie

#6 Oct-27-07 2:40PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie/Curly,

Let me know whenever either of you plan to do some fall crappie fishing out at Cedar and I will meet you out there. For some reason, I am not having much luck catching them. Maybe i'm not using proper technique.

#7 Oct-27-07 2:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

I saw you out there and it looked like you were doing the right thing. They may be deeper. I am game for a try tomorrow afternoon. I have to coach a hockey game at 5 so maybe 2-4? If we decide to do that, I will set a minnow tap out tonight.

Ernie

#8 Oct-27-07 3:07PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,

That sounds like a great idea and I also look forward to meeting you. I can meet you out there at 3:00 if that works. I also set a minnow trap the other side of the lake by the lilly pads but only caught tiny guppy sized minnows with it. I might not have set it in a good location. It seems I never do anything right. I might as well dress up as Charlie Brown for halloween. smile

#9 Oct-27-07 3:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

3 PM it is, I will be right behind my house.

Ernie

#10 Oct-28-07 9:08AM

Ernie
Administrator

Kitchen pass? Your turn to cook today?

The minnow trap is in the water so we will see if any of them take the bait. If not, I have a lot of Gulp! stuff that is just as good as live bait.

Ernie

Board footer