Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-17-09 4:17AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

9-16-09 Solomons Island

Yesterday, Mo and I went in search of white perch and rockfish. It had been a long time since we had been back to "Solie." This is where I first introduced my adopted son to grub fishing. He was excited at the prospect of reliving those grand "fast action" days.

It was not to happen. We launched in Cuckhold Creek and immediately headed across the river since it was 5:30 am and the prospect of rockfish seemed good. Mo caught two under-size rockfish. I gave up on the rockfish and started casting for white perch. I caught one ! Mo then joined me in casting for perch.

We tried all of the spots that had produced so well last year but nada ! When I say nada I really should say NOT EVEN A BUMP!!

What could be wrong? We had a light rain-drizzle, overcast sky, two hours of incoming tide and smooth water. The water temperature was seventy-six degrees. It was picture perfect. Mo then said we should go to his hallowed Mo's Cove. Surely, things there would be different! By now the water was returning as the tide rose. I could see the excitement in his face as he began casting. This slowly diminished as time wore on without a single bump for either of us.

We were running out of options. With two perch in the cooler, things just did not add up.

Mo moved the boat to an area we call Three Pilings. Here he caught five fish on five casts!!! Then back to nada. Our time was running out since he always has patients to see pm on Wednesdays.

We headed back across the river and tried a few casts here and there--one fish at a time. Mo kept repeating, "Solie, how could you let me down."
Sometimes there is no explanation for why fish do or do not bite.

Final tally---six hours, two fishermen, twenty two perch and two rockfish.

#2 Sep-17-09 4:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 9-16-09 Solomons Island

It happens....even though I caught my almost 13 incher over there, I am convinces that the perch are not as plentiful there as hey are in other spots...this year at least.

1. You guys got out...while most of us were working
2. You caught fish....while most of us were working
3. You got to write a fishing report....while most of us were working

'nuff said!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer