Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-26-07 7:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

7-16-05, Potomac River (Lower) report

First, a big THANKS to Josh Turner for the "kick in the rear" after I questioned whether or not I should go out today due to the threat of showers and storms! He pushed me over the edge and I am grateful!

I had my old friend Jim Rekas out for a day of white perch fishing on light tackle. We put in at Shamansk's around 9:30 AM and were heading out of the Wicomico when the outboard started to overheat. Not good! Luckily, it cooled and started back up. I think the impeller is going bad so on to D & S Marine for repairs next week.

So....we decided to stay close to the marina and we headed up to the Swan Point sandbar.  We immidiately started catching perch but few keepers. Then it happened.....Jim caught this nice 11 1/2" fat perch on a 1/8 oz rattle trap. I went nuts! This is the biggest perch we have ever caught on light tackle, nice fish!

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/93/img0880oq0.jpg

We fished there until 1 PM and caught over 80 perch and stripers (all under 15"). Then we headed over to Quades Store for the customary crab cake sandwich. No one makes a crab cake like Mrs. Quade!

We did try to get into some croakers using Fish Bites but zero, nada. After 45 minutes of that, we went back and fished the bar near Bushwood for perch and landed another 35 including a few keepers and a few stripers (under 15"). Then the tummy started to growl and back to Quades for some relief.

When we came out of Bushwood, we were going back for more perch but the VA sky looked very dark. We hightailed it back to Shamansky's (got up to 38 mph) but the storm got us as we entered the No Wake zone....which I obeyed.  We got soaked but when I looked back a low rainbow appeared and the picture below shows the spectacular rainbow.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8114/img0883fc0.jpg

We decided to pull up at 4:30 and not face any more storms . It was HOT, MUGGY but it was another great day!! It is always worth the 90+ mile drive (each way)!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer