Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-08-07 6:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

10-8-07, Lower Potomac River report

Curly and I left Northern VA at 0515 to head down to the Lower Potomac for some striper and blue fishing. We arrived at Shamansky’s marina, Cobb Island MD at sun up but we were worried that the fog might keep us in. Luckily, it was not very dense and we were able to motor out.

Our 1st stop was St. Margaret’s Island where we had some success this time last year. He only problem was that it was dead low tide and the water was barely moving. Initially, we started throwing jigs but I went to a top water (red/white) presentation. After a few casts, I got a huge hit and “FISH ON”. The excitement only lasted a few seconds as my line broke. Upon further inspection, it seems that my very thin FireLine simply cut the mono leader I had attached to it. A definite bummer but it got our hopes up. A few minutes later, another nice striper hit right behind my lure and got us all worked up.

After 45 minutes on nothing, we moved on.

We decided to try Swan Point which ALWAYS produces something. Curly took the skunk off the boat when he nailed a 4” white perch! Well…at least it was a fish! But Swan Point was dead and we moved on again.

Now we were at Cedar Point and ran in to a good friend, Keech Edelin, who was solo fishing while he waited for his daughter to show up at the ramp. He had caught a few stripers and blues so we, once again, were hopeful.

Here, I managed top land a little striper and a blue and Curly brought in a nice striper…..

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7430/img2270ky1.jpg

…..as well a nice bluefish.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1602/img2271pl6.jpg

While there were some breaking fish, it wasn’t like it was a few weeks ago when Jim Rekas and I had non stop action for almost 2 hours. The blues came up but went right back down…it was rather frustrating.

We decided to head down river to troll some lumps on the VA side. We got a nice fish to hit one of the lures but he came off (I was on the rod). Very discouraging….again!!

We did catch a few stripers while trolling and they were so big…..that we didn’t even know they were on the line!

As our time was getting away, we put up the trolling gear and started to chase the breaking fish so we could cast to them. There was lots of bait moving right next to us and you could see the blues flashing….it was pretty neat!

Curly decided to put on a top water lure and sure enough, he enticed a nice 2 lb+ blue….it was great to watch the whole battle!

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9281/img2272jx2.jpg

I was throwing a Li’l Bunker (Specialized Baits made by George Lenard) and I got a great hit from an almost 3 lb blue that was mad and did not want to come in. He actually took some line!!

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1656/img2273dn4.jpg

When we finished, the river was dead calm and we raced back to the marina so we could get home before night fall….we made it by a few minutes.

Another great ay out on the water!!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-09-07 10:10AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 10-8-07, Lower Potomac River report

Nice Report. I enjoyed reading it.

I was at work doing the 2008 budget. sad

smile

#3 Oct-09-07 10:55AM

Ernie
Administrator

Make sure you budget some "fishing days"!

Ernie

#4 Oct-09-07 12:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

Ask Curly about the blue that was trying to pig out and swallow bait that was too big for him and nearlly killed him.

Ernie

Board footer