Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-05-09 6:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

Cedar on the 4th!

Went out after dinner and caught 4 punks on a 3.5" pearl w/gold fleck Case fluke. The 1st two were caught while the bait was not moved and the other two were caught as I moved the bait to imitate an injured fish. I also missed 3-4 others.

Jeffie was out there as well. What was it that guy caught? A turtle or frog?

I missed a nice one when my knot gave way. I had just retied a bunch of lines and on the 1st cast, using a Kinami cigar wacky style. I got a nice take and as soon as I applied pressure...poof...gone. I went back and re checked the 4 other lines that I have retied and two of them failed. I was using a blood knot. Easy enough knot to tie but you MUST make sure that the 2 ends come into the loop from a different angle. That little detail cost me a nice fish. The blood knot is about as thin of a knot you can tie when joining 2 lines.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/ … dknots.com

Oh well......

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jul-05-09 8:04AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Cedar on the 4th!

[
Jeffie was out there as well. What was it that guy caught? A turtle or frog?

i am afraid i have no idea what you are talking about friend.

i fished ashburn hard in the early pm, via plan b

i could hardly get bit.

i caught some real sardines.
i fished edges and my best deepwater hunches

only reason i can conceive is buried deep in the shoreline veggies.

my next move will be a big flippin stick, and some 30# flouro or braid, some 3/4 ounce JP's, or heavy texas rigs.
don't know how else to put the vittles under their noses

then i went to cedar to restore my confidence
even though there was good wind, i couldnt  get bit by anything that didnt have a roof over it's head.

my best method was short cast, draw to floating cover, let jig swing and bounce in a vertical presentation.

i was on ernies edge, just reaching over the brush, and bouncing the jp in little holes tight on the shore.

i had some nice (relatively ) bass hit it after seeming to come out from under the asphalt.

as the light began to fall off,  and distant pyromaniacs frolicked into a rising crescendo of prepubescent mania, i was hitting keepers and runts, swimming the jp
--like a slow and nervous mess.
i managed maybe 25 hits, in a couple hours.

my phone rang at 7.30, and the wifey mentioned my pledge to be home grilling by 7.
i had no choice but to fish my way out of the backside of the water, picking up a few more as i ostensibly hurried home

#3 Jul-05-09 10:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

"Jeffie was out there as well. What was it that guy caught? A turtle or frog?"

i am afraid i have no idea what you are talking about friend.

I saw the guy (you were near him) on the other side from me, hook into something large that was not fighting like a fish. I thought you were next him when he did it...perhaps not

bigjeffie wrote:

as the light began to fall off,  and distant pyromaniacs frolicked into a rising crescendo of prepubescent mania, i was hitting keepers and runts, swimming the jp --like a slow and nervous mess.

Nicely put.....

bigjeffie wrote:

my phone rang at 7.30, and the wifey mentioned my pledge to be home grilling by 7.
i had no choice but to fish my way out of the backside of the water, picking up a few more as i ostensibly hurried home

I believe you were late and I did not see you scurrying to get home!!  roll

#4 Jul-05-09 10:21AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I hate to say it but the heavy jigs are very hard to fish in that slop. If the cover was just weeds it would be alright but there is a thick coating of snot grass stuck in all that stuff as well. You can't really punch through it, it just grabs onto heavy baits. A heavy texas rig might work a little better but it still has the same issue.

#5 Jul-05-09 12:02PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

you can get in there

i need the weight to sink the bait

i did well in cedar today working the j&p in ernies cove

#6 Jul-05-09 12:10PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

But the weight just makes it sink deeper into the scum...

I have no idea how you guys even fish jigs in there with the coating of snotgrass that rests on the bottom and floats in the shallows.

#7 Jul-05-09 12:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

I once was bringing a bait back that was full of scum. i hesitated for a secong and a huge bass ate it. I posted about this a few years back but I can't find it. Remember, they will go through the stuff to get to a frog!

#8 Jul-05-09 12:16PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

I once was bringing a bait back that was full of scum. i hesitated for a secong and a huge bass ate it. I posted about this a few years back but I can't find it. Remember, they will go through the stuff to get to a frog!

This happened at the tournament on the Lower Potomac.  We would have to dig through much to get our fish out of it and into the boat....

#9 Jul-05-09 8:34PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

when i say a heavy J&P, i mean throwing into real vegetation, not algae.
i dont know my plants, but there are several types that grow on the bank and in the shallows in ashburn.
there are edges that grow over several feet of water behind the tennis courts.

i have waded the area and been up to my armpits, almost able to touch dry ground, across the border of veggies.
i can feel the difference in water temp under the grass.
i think some days it is more trouble than the fish will go to to swim out and ambush even on the edge.
i have seen a lot of this at cedar lately.
i need a bait heavy enough to pull itself down through the vines and leaves of bushy grass.
find a slight gap and it will drop through. just falling in like that can draw a drop strike.

if not shake and flutter the bait in place. yo-yo it, in whatever way your fish enticing instincts compell u 2  move your hands.

i have caught many fish like this.
lately they all seem to want a roof over their head, and dont even hold in the deep water areas unless there is shade.

of course there are exceptions, but these are the facts that are getting ME bit

My theory is there are spending the sunny hours relaxing in cooler water, but will only eat if you put it right there.

when they jig loads up with snot, like in cedar, you can snap the rods and clear it. might take several times,
let it drop a foot or two and crack it like a reverse whip. i have gotten big bites just doing this. then swim it high and let it fall into open pockets.

i guess what i am saying is with practice you can keep a jig much cleaner in heavy cover than it would seem.
the bait is bouyant and has tremendous action almost standing still.

this is just my style.
i have seen folks throwing wacky in open water and getting bit also.
coz loves his frog on top.

this year i am a jig throwing fool

i like a 1/4 ounce or less, with a zoom super chunk

#10 Jul-05-09 9:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

i figured you were using a really light jig like that. I know what you mean about the real vegetation but everytime I've been out to those ponds the snot grass has been clinging to all that vegetation as well. Maybe I'm just not fishing the same spots as you.

So you are swimming the jig?

Board footer