Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-09-07 4:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

Basin Harbor, Lake Champlain, VT report, 9/7-8-9/07

This last weekend, I had a conference at the Basin Harbor Hotel.....

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6495/img2191up3.jpg

.....which is right on Lake Champlain in Vermont. The weather was unseasonably warm on Friday and Saturday and a front moved in on Sunday morning. Since it was a work trip, I only got a few chances to fish. I decided to bring a 4 pc, 7 wt fly rod in case I hooked into something of substance....but that was not going to happen but I did catch some fish.

My 1st attempt was early Friday morning from 6-6:45 AM. I went down in front of the sign at the mouth of the harbor and threw an olive over white clouser. I managed two strikes and landed a decent 12-13" smallie that jumped a few times. No picture due to forgetfulness.

That afternoon, I got a free hour and I rented a 10' Sit In kayak (mine is 13' and Sit On Top). This was not the most stable craft and the winds started howling so I was taking waves over the bow since I had slipped out side the harbor.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2032/img2198uc6.jpg

So I went back in the harbor and managed to catch a largemouth bass! YES....I had the camera and NO....I wasn't about to take a picture of the little baby bass that had no business taking that fly!

The next morning (Saturday), we still had seminars and early meetings but I managed to throw the fly for 45 minutes and landed a couple of small yellow perch (YP)....my 1st ever on a fly!

Finally, on Sunday I was going to get some time since breakfast was not until 9 AM. I headed down to the other side of the harbor this time and got there just as it started to rain! I didn't care....I had some fish to catch.

My experiance from the previous outings taught me that I needed to strip line short and fast. It didn't take long and I caught a YP and then another small lagremouth. Then I started to catch some decent YP....

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6964/img2205rb6.jpg

......but I was getting soaked....and the temps were dropping! Right before I went in, I managed this nice YP.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2487/img2207sg4.jpg

All told, I caught 9 of these in the last morning. That lake has all kinds of possibilities....it's long, clear and deep!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-10-07 3:35PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Basin Harbor, Lake Champlain, VT report, 9/7-8-9/07

nice ernie -Champlain is an awesome lake
we should put together an expedition up there sometime

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#3 Sep-10-07 6:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

Josh,

I've been up there a few times but never have much time to fish it. There are lots of possibilities in that lake, that's for sure! An expedition in the future might be worth looking in to!

Ernie

#4 Sep-11-07 4:56AM

rit.05

Smallmouth and perch on LT make for a good outing. Especially with that scenery. Thanks for the pics.

#5 Sep-12-07 8:25AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

i was i the area a few years back in late may and had an absolute blast with smallmouth, largemouth, pike, pickerel, walleye and trout...hmmm

the wheels are turning

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#6 Sep-12-07 9:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

Keep those wheels turning! The times I have been up there have been work related with limited fishing time (and resources). There are lots of possibilities for sure!! A couple of years ago, I hooked in to a big pike but he cut me off as he came close to the boat. I have yet to catch a pike, pickerel, walleye or lake trout.

Ernie

Board footer