Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-18-09 9:08AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Gulfstream Fishing off NC

Hey all, thinking about getting a deep-sea trip together this fall. Myself and a couple of buds were talking about chartering out of Pirate's Cove in the Outer Banks this fall for some tuna or marlin fishing. I've been down there twice before and fished off the Hog Wild and Obsession. We did really well both times and even got a grand-slam with the Hog Wild, including a 350 lb blue marlin. The trip is about 12 hours total with a two-hour round trip to and from the Gulfstream. Most of the boats are 50+ footers and are comfortably equipped with A/C, bathroom, bunk beds, etc. Of course we get to keep all the dolphin and tuna that we catch, and they have a good, cheap cleaning station right on the dock. If we can fill out a crew of six, it comes out to about $300 a person. Including myself, I have 2 firm commitments with a couple maybe's, so we're looking for 3-4 more people. We were thinking the end of August or maybe early September, so if anyone's interested post up or send me an email. Here's a pic from the Obsession...this one nearly broke my arm off smile

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/mikelup82/tuna.jpg

Last edited by purpleworm (Jun-19-09 8:54AM)

#2 Jun-23-09 5:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Gulfstream Fishing off NC

Curly was talking about this tonight...he was trying to temp me. The date is the important variable.

That is one heck of a fish!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-25-09 8:12AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

We haven't set a date as of yet. Marlin run good down there until the end of August, after that it's mainly tuna. We were leaning toward a tuna trip in September just because there's a bit more action and you'll usually get more fish to take home. Check out www.fishpiratescove.com-they have an awesome calendar reservation system where you can pick out the dates you want and what type of fishing and they will show you what boats are available that day. They also have links to the individual boat websites, most of which have their calendars posted. Lemme know what dates you come up with. Weekends work best for us, but we can take a vacation day if necessary.

#4 Jun-25-09 9:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

I would be more interested in fishing for tuna for the same reasons you give. As well, I have a good friend (actually a couple) down there taht could lead us to a Capt. if you wanted to look around. There are a few good Captains out of Oregon Inlet.

Aug. 22-23 or 29-30
Sep. 5-6 (Labor Day) or 26-27

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jun-26-09 5:53AM

Ron's Outdoors

Havn-a-ball.com

Oregon Inlet.Great fast NC built boat and fun Capt. and mate.
Trips out of OI are a little cheaper than Pirates Cove and you have a shorter run offshore as you do not run the sound from Manteo to the inlet.

Best Tuna action is  Oct-Nov with some bigeyes possible.First moon in August usually kicks of a great billfish bite.
Good shot at some nice wahoo and scattered Tuna,sails in Aug-Sept and kind of mixed bag months though Dolphin are the main game.

Any time is good so go when you can and pick the type of weather you like! Thanksgiving can be just incredible for Tuna but chilly.

Good luck!

Ron

#6 Jun-26-09 5:14PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Any of those dates sound fine to me, perhaps we should take Ron's advice and try to book a little later on for some better tuna action. I have no problem looking around at some different boats. I'm sure you guys have quite a bit more experience with chartering than we do, so if you know someone good you want to go with, I'm all for it.

#7 Jun-26-09 6:38PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Check this Capt. out, he WILL take you out when others stay in.
http://doghousesportfishing.com/index.php

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer