Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-31-09 7:42PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

5/31 pond hopping

Today I went fishing with Rob (flippin4it) to show him a couple ponds out in the Loudoun area. He ended up with four or five nice fish at the first pond to my zero. We got there shortly after the early morning thunderstorm ended (between 6 and 7am) and I believe he caught all of his fish there on a popper. Then we went to a second pond but only made a few casts because the water was high from the rain and had submerged the usual walking path. We could have walked through a lot of high grass but neither of us felt like spending the afternoon picking off ticks. Then we went to some ponds that Rob had showed me in the past and we both got bit on shallow crankbaits running through and around grass for the most part. I believe he ended up with 7 including some very solid fish in the 3lb range. I finished with 3 fish, all of which were between 2.75 and 3.5lbs. Today totally revamped my confidence in crankbaits, a confidence that has been missing for quite some time. Rob had a total of 11 if I remember correctly and I finished with just those 3, but we both had better than average fish so overall I think it was a pretty good day.

I really need to quit being so boneheaded and stubborn. Rob started smacking them on a popper and for some reason I kept throwing my frog even though I had the EXACT SAME popper in my box...Sometimes I have trouble adjusting from what technique I want to fish to the technique that I should be using..

#2 Jun-01-09 4:43AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 5/31 pond hopping

You had a good lesson today grasshopper!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-01-09 7:20AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Lesson Learned: It is ALWAYS okay to switch lures if the other one is working. There is no shame in following suit...especially during a tournament!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Jun-01-09 10:17AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

This is how it was told to me about 10 years ago. "You can lead a man to water,but you can't make him fish!!"    LOL, It was the luck of the draw, this little popper kills them everywhere I go. I can cast it really far on baitcasting gear and cover a lot of water. It so cheap that you can get brave with it and throw in tight to cover. I replace the rear hook with a larger one, the hooks it comes with are tiny.
            I really like lake X, it looks like a great spot.

#5 Jun-01-09 12:09PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

yeah, i have some spare hooks that are a little larger and stronger, I will switch the old ones out before my next trip.

Board footer