Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-03-09 2:09AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

5-2-09 Woodglen Lake

Because I live so close to Woodglen Lake, I have been trying twice a day this week for White Perch. It has been discouraging because there has been no sign of them. Saturday, things changed. On my morning trip, I caught four small crappie, five small bass and two seven inch White Perch. In the evening, I caught four small crappie and four small White Perch. These were all caught on one inch grubs. Before leaving, I tried a small beetle spin. After many casts with no takers, I was about to leave when my line went tight and I instinctively twitched the rod to set the hook. The water opened up about eight feet from the rock where I stood and a snapping turtle about the size of my truck steering wheel rose up out of the lake! In the same motion, he spit the beetle spin! Over the years, I have caught many snapping turtles but this would have been the first on an artificial lure. There are not many things in the wild that make me uncomfortable; but large moss and mud covered snapping turtles make me uncomfortable.

#2 May-03-09 3:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 5-2-09 Woodglen Lake

White perch in a lake? How did they get in there?

Now that you posted this....expect to see Dr. Mo!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-03-09 5:11AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

seems like just about every pond has a resident brute snapper

i am with carl-- them guys are no joke

i read somewhere about how long they can live, and man do they get big!!

#4 May-03-09 7:53AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I caught a white perch there earlier this year ripping a lipless crank. Foul hooked it dead center and I thought I had a nice bass =/  Carl, I've been meaning to slide my yak in there and work the side with the townhouses and the nice structure (that beavers house) but wasn't sure it'd be worth it. What do you think?

#5 May-03-09 10:10AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

There are a couple of big nasty snapper turtles in Cedar too!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#6 May-06-09 9:17AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

AndrewDo124 wrote:

I caught a white perch there earlier this year ripping a lipless crank. Foul hooked it dead center and I thought I had a nice bass =/  Carl, I've been meaning to slide my yak in there and work the side with the townhouses and the nice structure (that beavers house) but wasn't sure it'd be worth it. What do you think?

I would definitely try your vessel. Most of the lake never sees a fisherman because it is inaccessible by shore.

#7 May-06-09 12:02PM

HungUpPaul

I'd like to get my jon in there as well.  Got plans this weekend Andrew?

#8 May-06-09 3:16PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

HungUpPaul wrote:

I'd like to get my jon in there as well.  Got plans this weekend Andrew?

Looks like we're going to woodglen!

#9 May-08-09 12:17PM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

Carl wrote:

AndrewDo124 wrote:

I would definitely try your vessel. Most of the lake never sees a fisherman because it is inaccessible by shore.

I'm leaving this message Friday 5-28 @ 3:00PM. After I read your message about possibly going this weekend, I drove over to check water conditions for you. I returned home ten minutes ago. The lake looks very accepable. Visibility is twelve inches. The rocks, along the side where you will launch, are above water. I'm looking forward for your report. Tight Lines CJ

Board footer