Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-04-07 7:05PM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

8/4/07 Potomac Float Trip

Went with a friend on a 10 mile float trip on the Potomac today . . . put in just east of Camp Orleans in Maryland - had to be 10 miles of the most beautiful water I've ever seen.  Between the two of us we caught over 100 smalies - and probably lost another 100 . . . I brought in a 1-7, and then my friend topped me with a 2-4.  To me, a 2-4 smallie looks like a 4lb largemouth, and fights twice as hard.  The water is low in spots, but wasn't moving too fast.   Besides the beautiful scenery, we were also entertained by several of the locals enjoying themselves on a float trip - lots of material for Larry the Cable Guy!

The biggest challenge was the rental canoe - pretty bad shape and we had to stop twice to empty the water from slow leaks.  Next time we bring our own.  Part of the reason there are no pictures to share - everything in the canoe was soaked thoroughly.   But the memories and experience won't soon be forgotten.

Bassman

#2 Aug-05-07 1:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 8/4/07 Potomac Float Trip

Tom,

You are welcome to use my canoe any time you want.  Awesome trip!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-06-07 6:01AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds like a great trip. Do they have a picup service on that part of the river?

smile

#4 Aug-06-07 10:58AM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

They do indeed . . . it's actually at a bar/convenience store named "Bill's" . . . you leave your car at the public landing, and Bill or one of his guys will run you 10 miles up over hill and dale - it's a rough ride, but well worth it. The canoe rental was only $40 for the full day - expect the drop-off would be less if you had your own canoe or kayak. 

Heading west on I-70, take the Orleans exit off I-68 (about 7 miles past the I-70 split), and go left for about 7-8 miles.  Little Orleans campgound is to the right, and Bill's is to the left . . . about the only two pieces of civilization in the area.

Now is the time to go - the water level is perfect.

#5 Aug-06-07 6:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

Sounds like another trip in the making!!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer