Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-14-09 8:53AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

3/13/2009 L. Royal

Hi everyone, I'm new here, at least posting-wise.  I've been lurking off and on for about a year.  I've met some members of this board (Andrew Do, Dominion Dan), and upon some discussions w/ Andrew, I'm posting a report from Friday.  Please forgive any errors in posting images.

I call this my "speed fishing" outing, as I've only got 45 min between dropping our son off then picking him up from his gymanstics class that is about 2 minutes from L. Royal (Burke, VA).  Caught two mid-sized crappie in the first 15 min. on a white Beetlespin, fished slow and as low as it would go in this lake (6-7' off of this particular point). 

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/mudkart/crappie1.jpg

That bite died off so I switched to a new (to me) jerkbait from Janns' Netcraft, the springer 78.  Here is a pic of two of these in smallmouth and ghost minnow patterns, I believe.  These come as painted bodies, you add your own split rings and hooks (gammy size 6, in this case).

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/mudkart/springer.jpg

I threw the one in ghost minnow and caught this 1#-er, my largest LMB this year.  We've caught some dink LMB at woodglenn this year, also on the white Beetlespin and small white grubs (2-3").

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/mudkart/lmb1.jpg

Last edited by mudkart (Mar-14-09 2:12PM)

#2 Mar-14-09 12:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 3/13/2009 L. Royal

Welcome to the board.....we'll forgive you for being friends with Andrew and Dan. Actually they are great guys, as you know!

Thanks for the post and I hope you continue to show us your successes.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-16-09 3:40AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Welcome to the board.....we'll forgive you for being friends with Andrew and Dan. Actually they are great guys, as you know!

Thanks for the post and I hope you continue to show us your successes.

big_smile

#4 Mar-17-09 5:32PM

HungUpPaul

Another newb here.  I see a few familiar faces though.

#5 Mar-17-09 5:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

Again....welcome HUP!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Mar-21-09 10:49PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

mudkart, nice to see you here! It looks like you caught that one at the point with the manhole right near the parking area. That is the only place I have ever caught fish at Royal but I really have only fished it a few times.

#7 Mar-22-09 6:16PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Dominion Dan wrote:

mudkart, nice to see you here! It looks like you caught that one at the point with the manhole right near the parking area. That is the only place I have ever caught fish at Royal but I really have only fished it a few times.

Thanx.  Yes, it was at the "Manhole point" that everyone fishes.  There was a beaver lodge on the southern "cove" of this point at one time, maybe the remains are what attract the fish.  I know I've lost my share of tackle to some sort of structure where the lodge was.  The northern "cove" also holds fish later in the year when a weedline develops, and its fishable from several spots.  If you're blanked at the point, try the soccer fields.  There was a kid throwing a small (3") senko there Saturday, he said he'd caught one bass.  (I was watching our kids at the time, couldn't fish).

Board footer