Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Beaverdam Reservoir Update

On one rock, there was a bikini hatch

Missing a pix

#52 May-26-20 5:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

I have it on good authority that the reservoir was surveyed.

"Bass looked darned good considering.  Most fish were large, over 15".  Looks like we missed two year classes (with low pool).  Catch rate of 15" plus bass was actually still in the top half of district waters.  We removed about 100 carp too.  A year or so at full pool with some forage, and she'll be back in no time."

VGDIF, soon to be renamed, has requested forage (Bluegill and Redear Sunfish) for this year but it may not happen. For sure, we will have forage next year (will be requested this fall).

Time to go fishin' again!

#53 May-26-20 7:00AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Years ago there was rumor there's stripers in the lake - wonder if they're still around?

#54 May-26-20 8:29AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Years ago there was rumor there's stripers in the lake - wonder if they're still around?

Was not a rumor. They were there. Stocked by VDGIF.

They are no longer there....at least none have been shocked up this year or last.

But...there were some nice smallies in there before. Hope they survived!

#55 May-26-20 2:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

Beaverdam Reservoir Water Access to Re-Open on May 29, 2020

Loudoun Water and NOVA Parks are pleased to announce that recreational activities on Beaverdam Reservoir will re-open on FRIDAY, MAY 29. Reservoir and trail users should adhere to proper social distancing guidelines. Public access will be located at the Mount Hope Road entrance. Please note parking may be limited.

Beaverdam Reservoir is first and foremost a source of public drinking water. Loudoun Water has partnered with NOVA Parks to manage recreational activities and public access. To ensure users can safely enjoy the reservoir, refer to the NOVA Parks website for a full list of rules and regulations: https://www.novaparks.com/parks/beaverd … oir/about.

Visitors who choose to visit these facilities must adhere to the following guidelines:

·       Stay home if you are sick

·       Avoid congregating in groups

·       Maintain a 6-foot distance between others

·       Avoid touching shared surfaces

·       Take trash with you

·       Wash hands frequently

Please follow posted facility guidelines for your safety and that of park staff. Consider wearing a mask where social distancing may be difficult.

Future plans: Loudoun Water and NOVA Parks are moving forward with the sustainable, innovative design of the future “Beaverdam Reservoir Park.” Efforts on the new park are well-underway with construction estimated to begin in 2021.

Beaverdam Reservoir Timeline:

May 29, 2020: Reservoir Water Access re-opened to the public

Spring of 2021: Estimated to begin Beaverdam Reservoir Park construction

Spring of 2022: Estimated Beaverdam Reservoir Park construction comple

#56 May-26-20 2:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

Hmmm...based on my hike yesterday, the place looked and felt like it was open.

#57 Nov-27-21 2:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

#58 Nov-28-21 6:05AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Hiking trails still in tact?

#59 Nov-28-21 6:06AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Interesting.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#60 Nov-28-21 6:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Hiking trails still in tact?

Yes, plus lots of new ones.

It's been a while since we saw the presentation but I remember them saying they were gonna have trails all around the lake. One of the trails uses a bridge to cross one of the lower res fingers.

#61 Sep-22-22 7:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

In preparation for Reservoir Park construction, Beaverdam Reservoir water level draw down will begin October 1, 2022.

Water access will be closed beginning October 17, 2022.

Please visit: http://ow.ly/pLwC50KPwO8  for updates.

#62 Sep-22-22 8:55AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Might try to get out there before it closes.  Thanks for the update!

#63 Sep-22-22 2:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

UPDATE! Reservoir Park Construction Getting Underway!

After many years of community input, stakeholder feedback, careful planning and design, construction for Reservoir Park is finally underway! Reservoir Park will be situated on the southeast side of Beaverdam Reservoir. The park is being funded and constructed under a partnership between Loudoun Water, which owns and maintains the 300-acre reservoir as a source of drinking water for Loudoun County residents and NOVA Parks, a regional park authority in Northern Virginia.

The innovative park design includes an entrance road, parking lot, welcome center, restroom building, crew facility, boat rental facility, several pavilions, trails, waterfront boardwalks, a bridge, plantings, site utilities, educational exhibits, and various other site features -- all designed with source water protection in mind.

With the project starting, there will be new rules for public access. Beginning October 1, reservoir water levels will be drawn down to facilitate construction.  To ensure the safety of park users, water access will be closed beginning on Monday, October 17.  Fishing, boating, paddling or other water activities will not be permitted. Once construction activities allow for the reservoir to refill naturally, and the water reaches a safe level, access will be re-opened sometime in third quarter of 2023. This timeline is based on various conditions and is not definitive.

During construction, NOVA Parks will continue to manage public access of the surrounding property. Trails near the southeast portion of the reservoir will be closed during construction. Restricted areas will be well-marked for visitor safety by Meridian Construction Co., Inc.

At this stage, it is anticipated that substantial completion of Reservoir Park will be in the first quarter of 2024 and the park grand opening will take place in Spring/Summer 2024.

Park construction progress, announcements, and schedule updates will be posted on www.loudounwater.org and www.novaparks.com.

Together, Loudoun Water and NOVA Parks have developed Reservoir Park to promote the health and wellness of local citizens and visitors. Interpretive destinations will focus on their strong partnership, highlighting the connections between ecological health, human health, and recreation -- as well as their mission to protect the national resources entrusted to their care.

#64 Sep-03-23 5:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

#65 Oct-09-23 12:26PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

It's been a while since I've posted here.  I haven't done much fishing this year.  I did just go check out the reservoir and took some pics.

https://i.imgur.com/NER14rN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KWXJHji.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xxjiz4c.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kzqjRWP.jpg

#66 Oct-09-23 1:08PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Definitely drought conditions there. tongue

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#67 Oct-09-23 1:56PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

They drained it to do renovations.  But you knew that!

Last edited by drxfish (Oct-09-23 1:57PM)

#68 Oct-09-23 2:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks for the pics Travis! looks like construction of the park is coming along. I like that bridge over one of the arms of the lake.

#69 Oct-09-23 3:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

Definitely drought conditions there.

Yep...they have been trying to get it filled back up all summer. They were supposed to open it back up but no rain means no water means park stays closed.

#70 Jan-07-24 12:34PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

#71 Jan-07-24 1:46PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

The first time I fished it was around 1977.  My friend had a 14 foot jon we fished out of.  I did not fish there for a long time after about 1980.  Next time I went back was around 1995.  Caught some nice fish from shore on the dam side.  After I got my jon in 2001, I fished there a few times every year until they put the big rocks to block the ramp.  Caught my biggest LM ever from there on a deep diving crank.  Wish I had pictures or a scale.  Progress...

Last edited by drxfish (Jan-07-24 1:48PM)

#72 Jan-08-24 7:14AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

When I first came to the east coast, a buddy and I fished out of the creek often. We got some giant largemouth, crappie, red eye and one of the nastiest looking eals I've ever seen.  One night, some people were out shooting shotguns.  We saw allot of lights flashing but kept fishing.  At around midnight we pulled into the ramp by the dam and a sheriff was waiting for us.  First thing he did was shine a light into the boat only to find a bunch of empty Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper cans.  He was looking for beer.  Then he asked if one of our names was Thurston because some pretty lady was real worried about me.  Turns out when I didn't show up at home my wife called the cops.  Numerous times.  And was frantic.  The cops let us borrow their phone to call my wife and she was pissed. 

Fast forward 10 years and I get pulled over for making a U turn where it wasn't allow.  When the cop saw my name he asked "Are you the Thurston whose wife freaked out because you didn't come home from fishing?". 

I'm became a legion in my own mind after that.

#73 Jan-08-24 1:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

Any one remember TA Daniels? That man (Game Warden) could sneak up on you like no one! lol

#74 Jan-09-24 7:27AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I never did.  I remember another time I went out there with a friend at night and was getting swooped on by bats.  Pulled my shirt over my head to avoid and I think we hung it up early.

#75 Jan-09-24 9:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Any one remember TA Daniels? That man (Game Warden) could sneak up on you like no one! lol

I met a game warden from WV named Dwight.  Nice guy.  Big guy.  Found a pile of skinned otters, muskrats and beavers on a Doah Island and reported it.  We became friends.  He busted the guys who did the illegal trapping.  That boy could sneak up on anyone and surprise them

Board footer