Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-02-22 9:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

Tropical Storm Agnes- 1972

For those who lived in this area in 1972, you probably remember TS Agnes.

I posted some of this back in '12...

I remember being up all night helping out the various authorities around Lake Barcroft in Falls Church. While the dam held, the ground around it did not and thus, a breach on both sides of the dam emptying out the lake.

I also remember working to get furniture out of Jack Perkin's house. He was an NBC news guy. He lucked out as his house was built on a rock bed. If you stepped out of his baseman back door, you would have fallen 60' straight down.

What a night!

It was a Saturday night and Debbie and I had been dating for about 3 months. My parents were moving to Venezuela so I was bringing her over for them to meet her. The storm was just staring and on the way to my house, we encountered a tree that had fallen on the road. I saw some headlights and decided to check out if a car was under the tree. I told Debbi that if she heard anything cracking, to lay down on the seat.

I checked on the car and sure enough, the tree had fallen on it. I went to the driver and she was frozen in fear.  Another person and I got her out safely.

Then, I heard a tree cracking and sure enough, it falls on my '66 Nova. Luckily it was not a monster tree but somehow, I managed to move it enough to get Debbie out. She was safe. I was able to back the car out. The tree landed on the right spot on the roof, causing only a dent on the skin.

That night lives with me as it was yesterday. I can remember most of what happened through the nigh.

Below is a good write up of what happened and the long lasting effects...

Tropical Storm Agnes: 50 years later, still the biggest story I ever covered - Tom Horton

https://www.bayjournal.com/columns/ches … e&s=cl

https://lexleader.net/looking-back-50-y … cwBocuD644

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jul-02-22 10:08AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Tropical Storm Agnes- 1972

I remember, but I was 13.  Crazy flooding everywhere.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jul-03-22 12:51PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I was about 6 yrs old living in Corning NY.  We lived on a mountain.  The levies on the Chemung River (Susquehana) broke that night flooding the entire city of Corning, and beyond.  The mountain we lived on was surrounded by 20 ft deep water.  I woke up in the morning with about 10 strangers in our house that had swam out of the flood waters in the dark that night and were homeless.  Some missing their families.  They lived with us for about a week or 2 until the flood waters receded enough.  No electricity.  Luckily we were on well water.  Dad was BBQing breakfast lunch and dinner for everyone.  As a 6 yr old, I thought it was cool, like camping.  My brain didn't quite get the tragedy, plus my parents tried not to focus on that too much.

#4 Jul-03-22 2:33PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Incredible!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer