Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-24-21 6:17AM

CrankbaitGuy

Sleeter Lake 10/23/21

I met fellow PRSC guy Herschel this AM over at the ramp at Sleeter yesterday morning.  Decent fall weather, partly cloudy, mild breeze.  Not the bluebird sky and rising barometer stuff that I've become superstitious about fishing under.  It was the first time for both of us here, but we both had heard a lot of good stories.  On water in our kayaks around 945AM.

The water is very clear despite the residential building going on.  The crap ton of hydrilla and water primrose probably help with that.  Herschel observed that this place  could be on the road to turning into Lake Frederick and I don't think he's wrong.  Shallower Lake Frederick with more duckweed and no known snakehead, northern pike or walleye.  What I think is the dam (Route 7 embankment) is one of the shallower parts of the lake.

Enough negatives, on to fishing.  We worked the main lake, there's not a lot of coves anyway.  Good mix of brush and rocks in spots.  The weeds are thick.  I imagine punch rigs, careful drop shots and in warmer months power fishing topwater plastic frogs in the weeds would work.  I went with a square bill crankbait and a rotation of soft plastics.  It's a rotation because I snagged those and had to re-tie a lot.

I got two largemouth, both on the crankbait.  First one was in a submerged stump following a bizarrely accurate cast I made.  It's nice when things are textbook.  Stump was a a foot off shore in probably in a foot deep water.  Retrieved the crankbait two feet and got a good subsurface hit.  This one was 9-10 inches.  Second one was along some rip rap by embankment near the water treatment plant.  Tight cast six inches from shore, loud reaction blow up by the fish.  Strong fight from this one, came up a bit bigger than I thought, 13-14 inches.

No pictures, sorry.  I'm very lazy about taking pictures of anything other than big or unusual fish. 

Herschel picked up a 13-14 inch fish of his own square bill crankbait.

We were off the water around 1PM and packed off for a good lunch at Monk's BBQ in Purcelville.  I also got some ice cream at their Tipped Cow store next door.

Last edited by CrankbaitGuy (Oct-24-21 6:18AM)

#2 Oct-24-21 6:41AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Sleeter Lake 10/23/21

Nice report.  At least you did not get skunked.  Nice day out.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Oct-24-21 8:27AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Sleeter Lake 10/23/21

CrankbaitGuy wrote:

I also got some ice cream at their Tipped Cow store next door.

Their coffee ice cream is top notch!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer