Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-22-21 4:59AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Fountainhead 10/21/21

With the river getting low, I decided to chase greenies.  I got out early and the full moon was beautiful over the lake.  There are always  lots of shad surfacing and bass busting on them in front of the ramp.  I made a few casts, but no bites.

https://i.imgur.com/v14eauV.jpg

I ran downlake to a cove and tried some cranks before switching to a tiny swimbait.  I caught 2 small LM.  I moved around the cove after that and caught one more LM that was about 12-14 inches long, but super skinny.  Looked like maybe it was sick.  There were so many birds around.  Different woodpeckers were working some dead trees and a bunch of Bluejays were moving through.  Ospreys, Herons and Cormorants were working the waters.  I made one cast with the swimbait and felt a hit, when I pulled back, the line cut clean.  It was probably a snakehead.  I moved around the cove, but no more bites.

I ran further downlake to another cove I like.  I worked it for a while and just caught one tiny bass.  Ended up eating my sandwich back there.  I decided to move out to the main lake and drift with the wind.  The wind was blowing me at and angle, but toward the shore.  I was mostly throwing crankbaits and finally caught a decent fish on a Rapala DT Thug.  He hit on as the crank was coming back up and was 15.25".

https://i.imgur.com/ruWaKht.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xEth8HG.jpg

I had to run back to take my daughter to an appointment.  When I was running, I noticed my engine was bogging down.  I thought it was maybe leaves in the prop, but that was not it.  I kept running and it kept happening.  I tried opening the air low on the gas, checked the gas hose and it was peeing, so nothing there.  It ran better at a little over half speed, so I limped back.  I was off the water a little before 2pm.  Nicw day on the lake, but slow fishing.

Last edited by drxfish (Oct-22-21 5:01AM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Oct-22-21 6:03AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Fountainhead 10/21/21

I haven't fished the Rez in years. Can be tough.

However, Tyler Folts (Greg's son) and Matt McCluskey just finished 3rd over the weekend for the Rez Classic and 1st overall for the year (for the 2nd time). Their catches are impressive. They go deep. BTW, they were both members of the BRHS Fishing Club while in HS. They are 25 now.

Hope you figure out the engine issue.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Oct-22-21 8:00AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks.  I just changed the plugs and sprayed a little carb cleaner.  Will put a little extra gas treatment in the gas to see if it was bad gas.  Engine ran great in the morning.  Very strange.

I have had good days on the rez.  Just not recently.  I need to use my fish finder more and go after schools.  I need to try an A rig, spoon and stick with bladed baits more.  Have had good days on the crank and even jerk bait in years past.

#4 Oct-22-21 8:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

Tyler and Matt have the sophisticated fish finders on their boat. They can see the fish like the pros do....spoons and drop shots.

Totally different game.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Oct-22-21 11:50AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

drxfish wrote:

IWhen I was running, I noticed my engine was bogging down.  I thought it was maybe leaves in the prop, but that was not it.  I kept running and it kept happening.  I tried opening the air low on the gas, checked the gas hose and it was peeing, so nothing there.  It ran better at a little over half speed, so I limped back.  I was off the water a little before 2pm.  Nicw day on the lake, but slow fishing.

Air lock in the gas tank?

#6 Oct-22-21 3:38PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I will find out when I take it out again.  Maybe Monday, unless the water is too low.  Need to stay close.

Board footer