Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Apr-07-21 2:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Well this doesn't suck (White's Ferry)!

Whites Ferry Reopening Plans Hit Snag as Virginia Landing Negotiations Stall

https://loudounnow.com/2021/04/07/white … -124133273

Time to go fishin' again!

#27 Apr-21-21 4:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

Loudoun County ‘Taking Steps’ to Resume Potomac River Ferry Service

https://loudounnow.com/2021/04/21/loudo … -124133273

#28 Apr-22-21 4:15AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

More "interests" to appease.  Hope they do figure out a plan.  Current location is fine.  Otherwise, it will be a mess and would be expensive.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#29 Aug-20-21 11:21AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

#30 Aug-20-21 11:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Talk about a Rt. 28 extension and bridge into MD...

#31 Aug-20-21 12:54PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That White's Ferry issue is a mess. I can see the VA owner's point and eminent domain seems extreme.  Hard to know what's really going on, but it sounds like the "business" aspect will be emphasized. 

Where would 28 cross?  Straight would be below Goose somewhere.  Seems close to 495.

#32 Aug-21-21 6:07AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

drxfish wrote:

I can see the VA owner's point .

From $5/year to hundreds of thousands of $s/year

Follow the money trail

#33 Aug-21-21 6:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

drxfish wrote:

Where would 28 cross?  Straight would be below Goose somewhere.  Seems close to 495.

There are 35 miles between the Rt. 15 bridge and the American Legion bridge. Somewhere, there are plans (study was done in late 90’s) for Rt. 28 going along Broad Run into MD270. No where near 495. It’s clear that MD doesn’t want it. If the White’s Ferry deal goes south, this conversation starts up again.

#34 Aug-21-21 7:25AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Interesting.  I would hate to see that happen.

#35 Aug-21-21 7:53AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Old, but yep, MD didn't want this

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/new-b … 69511.html

Things could change with enough transportation infrastructure $$'s thrown at it

Follow the money trail

#36 Aug-21-21 12:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

drxfish wrote:

I would hate to see that happen.

Think new structure! lol

#37 Aug-21-21 1:08PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

drxfish wrote:

I would hate to see that happen.

Think new structure! lol

Both from the bridge and the construction waste

#38 Aug-21-21 1:11PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, and shade too!  I'm sold.  It would be a long shot at best.

#39 Oct-28-21 11:29AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

White's Ferry Update: The White's Ferry Loudoun-Montgomery County Study is nearly done and an announcement should be made around November 10, 2021.  Check back for more information and register here for continued updates.

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DOT/ … 9wE-1pw9Pc

Last edited by hookup (Oct-28-21 11:30AM)

#40 Oct-28-21 1:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

Looking forward to the report. I hope the commuters come out on top and something gets done. Then, we can ride their coattails and go to White's Ferry and fish!

#41 Oct-28-21 2:09PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Fingers crossed!

#42 Nov-11-21 7:45AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

#43 Nov-11-21 7:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

The study will be discussed at the 11/16 Loudoun BOS meeting.

#44 Nov-17-21 10:38AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

The White's Ferry Operations Alternative Study will be presented to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors.

The meeting will be livestreamed starting at 5 pm to night

https://www.loudoun.gov/2203/Meeting-Videos

Last edited by hookup (Nov-17-21 10:39AM)

#45 Nov-20-21 8:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

WTOP news reports (11/19/21): White’s Ferry’s new owners appear to end negotiations with Virginia-side landowners

The future of White’s Ferry is once again in jeopardy, as the new owners say they can no longer see a way to work with the owners of the Virginia-side landing.

White’s Ferry was established in 1786 and before it ceased operation in 2020, it carried nearly 800 daily users across the Potomac River.

The prior owner of White’s Ferry, Herb Brown, decided to sell the business after failing to reach an agreement with the owners of Rockland Farm in Virginia, who owned the landing. At the time of the sale, Rockland Farm owner Libby Devlin said she was hopeful to come to an agreement with new owners Chuck and Stacy Kuhn.

Devlin had said she was “very much in favor” of a proposal from the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors that would charge a fee per vehicle using the landing. She said Brown had rejected the idea, but “We are optimistic that the Kuhns will be open to such an arrangement.” Recently, Devlin said she favored an agreement after a study was commissioned by Loudoun County, Virginia, and Montgomery County, Maryland.

However, the Kuhns said in a statement Friday that they failed to come to an agreement with Rockland Farm, as well. They also said that the farm has maligned them through “aggressive and misleading online and signage campaigns,” and they have been “insulted in public by a Rockland Farm owner … as recently as Tuesday night in front of the Loudoun County Government Center.”

The Kuhns said they paid for three separate appraisals of Rockland Farm and offered $13 million to buy it, but that the offer was initially ignored before being rejected.

“Rockland Farm’s repeated demands for $2 million cash or 50 cents a car each way along with unacceptable deal terms made negotiations impossible,” the Kuhns said.

The Kuhns said negotiations with Rockland Farm have soured to the point that they do not see a way to do business going forward.

“Given the difficulty and lack of professionalism negotiating with the Rockland Farm ownership, no further negotiations with them appear possible,” their statement reads.

#46 Nov-20-21 9:36AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I saw that.  Ugh.

#47 Nov-22-21 7:58AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

#48 Nov-22-21 8:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

Tough to make the run up there from Algonkian when it's in the 30s in the morning. mad

#49 Nov-22-21 8:13AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That is for sure.  Makes for a long day for me if I go that far too.  About a full tank for me and water has to be a little higher.

#50 Dec-01-21 11:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

The previous owner of White's Ferry, Mr. Herbert Brown, released a statement today stating why White's Ferry originally closed. It can be found in the Loudoun Times-Mirror.

"In 2003, Hurricane Isabel destroyed a wooden wall on the Virginia landing. Ed Brown, my father and the previous owner of White’s Ferry, replaced it with a concrete retaining wall, believing it was within the public right-of-way.

Rockland Farm disputed the wall placement. A lawsuit was brought by Rockland Farm, and in 2020 a judge ruled there was no public landing in Virginia (despite the 1871 condemnation which formalized a ferry landing on the Virginia shore). The judge ruled that the retaining wall was on their property and awarded them $102,175, which all agreed was the cost to tear it down. This judgement was paid in December of 2020.

For over 200 hundred years, the Ferry had operated at that site since it was considered public land. The only agreement between White’s Ferry and Rockland Farm happened in 1952 and was for a pole and anchor in the nearby pasture to support an overhead cable.

That changed in 2020 with the judgement. Rockland Farm’s owners Peter Brown and his sister Libby Devlin sent us a revocable license agreement demanding $18,000 a month for the use of the landing. At that time, the boat operation was not generating that amount per month. Mrs. Devlin has reported that the Ferry was netting $750,000 a year, however the 75-year-old White’s Ferry corporation’s earnings came from sources in addition to the operation of the ferry, 7 days a week, 18 hours a day. In fact, a majority of White’s Ferry Inc.’s income came from sources other than the boat. The judge understood this distinction in his opinion.

White’s Ferry Inc. had reserves invested to replace the boat when needed, income from the Store, rental of the picnic area, boat rentals and income from outside investments. When we decided to close, our daily commuters, which were the bulk of our weekday business, were paying $2.62 per trip. Peter Brown and Libby Devlin wanted $1.00 per car (38% of the gross), for these customers.

In a conversation with Peter Brown, he explained why the Maryland Shore should receive 1/3, Virginia shore receive 1/3, and the operator 1/3 of the income. Based on that formula, the operator would not be able to maintain operation costs and would be forced to go bankrupt.

Rockland Farm also offered to purchase the Ferry and its operations. In January 2021, Libby Devlin met with us and reviewed the books on the boat operation and saw that we could not afford what they were asking. We countered the informal offer they made but never hear back.

Instead, we offered Rockland Farm $400,000 for an easement on approximately 7,000 square feet of land and were told it was worth $2,000,000. In addition, they wanted us to sign a license agreement that we received from their attorneys, seven days before closing the ferry operation, stating that the agreement could be cancelled at any time with a 30-day notice. It made no sense to replace the cable and reopen after the flood with the possibility of being closed down after a month.

Now they are trying to get that large amount from Chuck Kuhn, the new owner. My understanding is that he offered more than we did for the easement, but the boat’s business history doesn’t support Rockland Farm’s extraordinary request. The only reason Rockland Farm wants the Ferry re-opened is to have a perpetual annuity to support the Farm from someone else’s labor. It is not for the public, as they claim.

If they want the operation to re-open, they should come forward with a reasonable proposal for an easement so everyone can move forward. No one can operate the Ferry as on ongoing business based on Rockland’s current demands."

Board footer