Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-03-21 2:30PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Fountainhead 8/3/21

River is too low for my boat, so I hit the Rez.  Wanted to take advantage of the nice weather and cloud cover.  Got there just before gate opened and was on the water about 6am.  I packed a bag with deep cranks, bigger swimbaits and plastics for possibly Carolina rigging.  I forgot to pack that bag, so went with what I had.

Tried the Whopper Plopper early, but no bites.  Tried a Rapala DT crank, a swimbait on an underspin, a ned and tube.  No bites at first spot, so I moved.  No bites there, so I ran upriver a while.  Switched around baits some and finally got a dink on the crank.  I was unable to get another bite there, so I moved to some flooded timber.  I got another LM about 12" and chunky on another Rapala bluegill crank.  I caught another dink in that crank and moved to a nearby shoreline.  About my third cast. I ran it through some downed timber and got a good bite,  I was able to net it after a couple runs.  Chunky 18.5" LM. 

https://i.imgur.com/IoYzwyS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hure3CY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mlk8duT.jpg

That made my morning.  I ended catching 2 more dink LM after that, but no real pattern or hot bite.

I missed one fish that blew up on a buzzbait later before heading back.  I had TM battery issues and need to buy at least one new one.

Great day for birds and wildlife!  A group of 5 deer at the water in one cove.  Several Ospreys, Bald Eagles, 2 large brown either hawks or Owls flying through the distant trees, King Fishers, Pileated Woodpeckers and the usual Herons, Cormorants and Seagulls.

Off the water about 2:30pm

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Aug-03-21 6:42PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Fountainhead 8/3/21

Nicely done adapting with what you had in the boat.

#3 Aug-04-21 6:03AM

Ernie
Administrator

Hmmm….based on my experience, you usually have enough tackle on you to cover all bases. Did you actually forget one of your main bags?

Nice chunk BTW….

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-04-21 7:25AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, I had my one main bag.  Just not how I had planned to fish them.  I have mostly plastics in it.  Should have tried a dropshot.  With batteries dying fast, I was not able to troll around with my depth finder to locate schools of fish.  I was happy to catch some after no fish in first 2-3 hours.

#5 Aug-04-21 10:52AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice feesh

drxfish wrote:

I had TM battery issues and need to buy at least one new one.

One was all I needed when I used my Jon allot

#6 Aug-04-21 12:29PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I use an old one for "ballast" in the front of my jon.  It was also the lighter one I used to put into my Canoe when I used the TM.  The bigger battery is 61 pounds.  I just need one, but the second was convenient.  I know everything I do seems complicated.

#7 Aug-04-21 12:33PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Back in the day, Wallmart sold the Big Yellow.  It wasn't a deep charge, but I'd get all day usage out of it and it was cheap.  Normally got five years out of one.

Keep you POS battery and buy a new one for a reasonable price.  Then when you get some extra jingle, get a good deep cycle and use your reasonably priced one for the front of your boat and for back up on those long days on the water

#8 Aug-04-21 1:07PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That is what I have always done.  Quit using regular lead acid batteries and use only AGM now.  Too many jeans and shirts with holes in them and for some reason, most ended up "boiling" during charge even when filled after a while.  Prices are double though.  The older I get, the less time I want to spend on maintenance.

2 things lead to less life with me 1)boat bounces around on water and towing and 2) I am using a 65 pound thrust TM now.

#9 Aug-04-21 2:12PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

drxfish wrote:

Prices are double though

Or triple for a good deep cycle

I always used a battery box to avoid the acid issues

#10 Aug-04-21 5:07PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Have that too.  Again, moving them from one boat to the other was the issue. My fault for complaining.

Board footer