You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-03-21 6:47AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Stop the Mattawoman Airport Expansion

Help send a message by signing this petition:

https://preservationmaryland.salsalabs. … index.html

Or email directly to: planningcommission@charlescountymd.gov

Last edited by Junger (Jun-03-21 10:01AM)

#2 Jun-03-21 7:07AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Stop the Mattawoman Airport Expansion

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41cMFn0LozL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Careful what you ask for ...

The citizens of Virginia Beach tried to ban the aircraft noise from the Navy base so the base decided to move their base.  The economy of the region would be totally reliant on tourism.  With the loss of military money from the region, the residents were worried that they would loose essential services because they to would leave the region.  Housing prices would drop and the only revenue to the area would be from seasonal tourism. 

When the residents realized the Navy called their bluff, they started the campaign "I love Jet Noise".

#3 Jun-03-21 7:29AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

I think the big issue is removing the conservation districting designation, which would open the flood gates for other types of industrialization right next to the wetlands, and set a bad precedent. Also, I don't think the Mattawoman Creek equates to the scenario you described for VA Beach. While the town of Indian Head is no bustling area , it does have major access and is adjacent to highly commercial areas where residents can sustain the local economy. Mattawoman also generates eco-tourism, vastly different from VA Beach's seasonal tourism.

#4 Jun-03-21 8:30AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Expanding an airport is good for area.  I've worked on many cost/benefit studies and the economic gain of an airport expansion in new jobs, new business', and improved infrastructure far exceeds the perceived costs of the noise.  Noise can be mitigated by many means.

LAX's another example.  When the residents complained about the noise, LA got the county to condemn the residents property. 

I can go on and on about many airports in the country that have tried to stand up to economic progress so the Mattawoman is not alone in this fight.

I'll admit the current political climate is conducive to environmental issues, but the income potential benefit from fees and taxes will far exceed any gain from eco-tourism.

One of the best area's I've caught fish is right off a major airport's runway.  I personally think it's cool watching the planes take off and land from a boat and the aircraft noise has no bearing on the fish.  Just the anglers.

#5 Jun-03-21 8:53AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

I think we can disagree all day on this, but I will point out you're citing examples of airports in highly congested, already commercialized areas where expansion would have minimal environmental impacts. LAX, DCA, VA Beach...not quite the same, and not quite the same geographically.

Simply don't sign the petition if you don't agree. Thanks and move on.

#6 Jun-03-21 8:57AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

There's many studies for the smaller airports.  When I use to do the studies myself, I'd go after the big fish for bigger $$$'s.  But the theory of each study is the same.

Not signing the petition because airports, no matter what the size, are good for the economy. If an airport is seeking to expand, , whether big or small, shows the community is growing. 

I support economic growth

edit.  I'll also add that this is a fishing board that does not support political discussion. Sourcing the Sierra club is very political.  The Sierra club is a lobby that gets paid to support political causes.

Last edited by hookup (Jun-03-21 9:00AM)

#7 Jun-03-21 9:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

I don't think this is about noise...it's about possible encroachment to a very delicate watershed that is fragile...at best. Tom's fear is what happens in the future. Not too long ago it was a road, a bridge. The Mattawoman, like Kane's Creek is a special place. Not many places like that around here.

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Jun-03-21 10:00AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

I'll also add that this is a fishing board that does not support political discussion. Sourcing the Sierra club is very political.  The Sierra club is a lobby that gets paid to support political causes.

My personal belief is that conservationism is not political, until someone makes it political, but I do recognize that the Sierra Club has engaged in political activity in the past. I'll edit the link to another petition from SaveCharlesCounty.com.

#9 Jun-03-21 11:02AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The delicate watershed of Mattawomen has just recently started to support Pickerel again. This largely due to the canopy of trees expanding and the more filtering of the swamp as it sprawls out to new land. The water flow is higher on average than it was 10 years ago and cleaner. Two things that normally do NOT happen together.

Rezoning and non-porous roads are its worst enemy.

I need to look at this proposal before I make a decision.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#10 Jun-03-21 1:04PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I've been in aviation all my life.  Part of my life was subsidized by airport environmental studies and the cost benefit of the service to the community of airport expansion.  A couple pickerel in the watershed would never be factored into the analysis for the decision to expand an airport's service and the benefits to the community of that expansion.

Yes, I'm very biased on this subject.

And yes, I get the environmental impacts.  I fish!

non-porous roads are its worst enemy.

I got a briefing on this recently.  Not only non-porous, but asphalt has all kinds of other problems

https://www.aexcelcorp.com/blog/eco-fri … the-planet

Good things I'm a drone guy now ;-)

edit.  But we'll ignore the environmental and health issues associated with mining cobalt for lithium ion batteries and the recycling of LiIon batteries.

My point is I've seen airports close down due to lack of capacity and communities suffer.  Converse to that is airports grow and the community grows.  I love jet noise. They have paid my bills for the past 40+ years and are still putting my son through a PhD program.

Last edited by hookup (Jun-03-21 1:11PM)

#11 Jun-03-21 2:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

edit.  But we'll ignore the environmental and health issues associated with mining cobalt for lithium ion batteries and the recycling of LiIon batteries.

My middle son has a Tesla. I tell him this all the time.

But in reality, everything we do has an environmental impact. Even cow farts!

We're just renting here on earth for a bit...

#12 Jun-04-21 5:14AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

To each their own.  I don't judge anyone's position unless it's just down right stupid (so I judge everyone! hahahha...it's a joke).   Anyway, I can understand both perspectives.  My best fishing is right next to HMX1 in Quantico and the VRE/Amtrack/CSX rail.  I couldn't say what's better or worse.  I just know people are the biggest factor in ruining everything and transportation hubs are the key to economic success.

#13 Jun-04-21 6:34AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

OK done the research and from what I see no real impact to the creek will occur. Jet noise from small private jets is at a minimal and the map shows the runway away from the creek is proposed.
http://www.mattawomanwatershedsociety.org/_/rsrc/1420773298902/our-issues/airport-expansion/Aerial-airport-land-use-study.jpg?height=320&width=284

Economically I see no real benefit except for drug smugglers.

Capt Mike

#14 Jun-04-21 6:58AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Drug smugglers it is!

This is a JOKE!

Last edited by drxfish (Jun-04-21 6:58AM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#15 Jun-06-21 5:33AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

Economically I see no real benefit except for drug smugglers.

Allot of old GA aircraft are found in the desert because they are a mule to smuggle drugs in from Central America.  The cost of the plane is negligible compared to the value of the payload lol

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. 

When an airport expands, that means the community is expanding to the point that the current capacity of the airport is no longer sufficient.  For a GA airport, that means all those houses on the river and bay you're seeing are using the airport - they either own their own aircraft or have sufficient income to rent or get into some kind of fractional share plan.  More capacity at an airport means more jobs to the community.  To me, this is a good thing. 

I live next to a major airport and I'm happy to see the traffic returning after the pandemic.  Sure, the noise levels are growing, and the solution from the aircraft, but that's a welcome relief.

#16 Jun-06-21 8:10AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Have you been to Bryans Road / Pomfret area? 
Even the dollar store has closed up..

Not much to see there. Two airports in a short drive with longer runways too.

But in see no harm in the extension.

Capt Mike

#17 Jun-06-21 8:29AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

Have you been to Bryans Road / Pomfret area?

No - have to check that out. 

I was traveling south to fish the New and came across a runway that was over 5,000' long.  That's huge - 747 and A380 huge.  But.there was nothing around the airport.  Nor on the airport property itself.  After some research discovered the runway was build during WWII to take off and land big airplanes incase on of the major airports was destroyed and lift was needed against the enemy.

Yeah, I'm a nerd too

#18 Jun-06-21 9:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

Just south of Middleberg or maybe in Upperville, there is a 4k+' runway. Saw a big jet taking off once. It was on the Melon estate (2k+ acres but has since been divided into 12 pieces).

There was economic wealth there but the runway was private. Far reach from what Mike talked about on Bryans Rd. (boonies).

#19 Jun-07-21 8:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

There's a bunch of old runways out there

Here's just a few from the VB area

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/VA/Air … aBeach.htm

And many in VA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_ … _Airfields

Board footer