Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-24-21 7:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

Memorial Day Weekend

I always wonder how to "celebrate" this holiday. After all, it's a time of remembrance for those who have fallen. I'm thankful for the path they laid so we can be and stay free.

Memorial Day ground rules...

1. Don't wish me a Happy Memorial day. There is nothing happy about brave men and women dying.
2. It's not a holiday. It's a remembrance.
3. If you want to know the true meaning, visit Arlington or your local VA cemetery, not freaking Disneyland.
4. Don't tell me how great any one political power is. Tell me about Laura Walker, Chesty Puller, Bob Davis, John Basilone, Dakota Meyer, Kyle Carpenter, Mitchell Paige, Ira Hayes and any other heroes too numerous to name. Attend a Bell Ceremony and shed some tears.
5. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I have carried the burden all too many times for my warriors who now stand their post for God.
6. Say a prayer... and then another.
7. Remember the Fallen for all the Good they did while they were here.
8. Reach out and let a Vet know you're there, we're losing too many in "peace".

A good friend of mine (29 year veteran, Special Forces) said this in response to the above:

"While I certainly understand, empathize, and, to some extent, agree with this post, I will summarize the nature of the toast that I made at my Brother's wedding, just after returning from my first deployment to Iraq, and within days of learning of the passing of my friend Obedia "OB" Kolath; The best way to honor and respect those who are no longer with us, is to live, and thoroughly enjoy the life that we have the privilege to have. Enjoy the little things. Enjoy each other. Enjoy the life we have the opportunity to live. That is the greatest tribute we can pay to those we have lost. Enjoy your families and friends! Enjoy your BBQs, enjoy the opportunity to drink a bit too much, if you choose. Enjoy your life, and treasure every aspect of it! Enjoy every day, in honor of those who do not have the option. That is the greatest respect we can show our brothers, and sisters, that we have lost!"

"This is a struggle I go through every year with my contemporaries! The best way to celebrate, and honor those we have lost, is to go forth, do great things, and make the most out of every moment of life we have available!! It is difficult, at times, to fully embrace that, but it remains true! "

Well said brother!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-25-21 5:31AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Thanks Ernie.  This is a somber time of year for me.  I always struggle with those I've lost and those I couldn't do anything to help.  I don't judge anyone who see's this holiday as a drunk fest or theme park event because they honestly wouldn't understand the sacrifices, bonds, and struggles.  I turn to my fellow veterans and we talk, we remember the good times and how we're always going to get together someday.  It's what we get to look forward too that keeps us going, not looking back at the events that scarred us so deeply.  So I agree with living life and stepping forward in life, but it's not always that simple and easy.  It's always done with a pain in the heart that remembers the faces, the horror of events, the sounds and smell.  There is no judgement for how people celebrate this holiday, but also there is no sympathy for how we get through it either.  So, as much as I would like to put on a strong posture, I can't.  I can live with that.  I will live with that.

#3 May-25-21 5:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

I've seen the physical scars of many but can't imagine the pain of the mental/emotional scars.

Only thing I can say is how much I appreciate those who have sacrificed for my freedom.

#4 May-25-21 6:12AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

When I floated Maine, use to stop in at the airport in Bangor and greet the returning war hero's.  Some guys would start crying right away when they saw the greeters.  Other's still had that far-away look in their eyes and just wanted to be left alone.

I'll stop by Mission BBQ and "celebrate".  Always find a few war hero's there. May even pick up a couple lunch tabs

Last edited by hookup (May-25-21 6:12AM)

#5 May-25-21 11:50AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Good post.  Thanks for the "reminder".

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 May-30-21 8:37AM

Ernie
Administrator

https://i.imgur.com/Xwn8LJL.jpg