Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-26-21 6:04AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Vitures of the drop shot

This year I learned a new technique called the drop shot. I found an area free of grass and had a good population of LGMouth that just seemed to travel the bay we fished in the 6 foot range often. Kinda like fish in tank would . Two feet from the bottom and just willing to bite the the little fluke I had nosed hooked about 16 inches from the weight. The weights are are 18 and 16 in metric. Interesting how they are marked in metric. I tried several ways to tie the hook on to the 20lb fluorocarbon. The first was a loop and twist method and the hook stood up nice. But a 5lb LGMouth rolled the hook to the end of the line. Luckily an overhand knot at the end of the leader stopped the fish from escaping with my little hook. That little knot was to keep the drop shot weight from slipping off the line. Little pinch on the weight that grabs the line to hold it in place just looked like it needed a simple overhand to keep it attached. Thank full for that knot. Next I used palomar knot on the hook and ran the down ward tag back thru the eye. It held very well as it landed four fish before retie. However the hook was not straight up and I guess it doesn't matter as it caught fish. 

Next I will test this on other species to see if that will work.

Lost four little flukes also in two days. Fish just pulled it off the hook.

Just something I wanted to share.

Thanks
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 May-26-21 7:31AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Vitures of the drop shot

Great post.  I plan to experiment more with this technique to work over snaggy rocks as well.  Figure the cylinder weight might not get hung and you can vary depth on hook.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 May-26-21 7:34AM

Ernie
Administrator

Ahh...the drop shot. Came in big when Justin Lucas won the 2016 Bassmaster Elite at Potomac River tourney using it at the poop plant.

I use it out back from time to time but find it boring. They use it up in big smallie country in the clear water lakes and rivers. They fish it 20-30' deep. Like watching paint dry. Reminds me of fishing for white perch with the double drop spreader rig.

It can be very effective though...

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 May-26-21 7:39AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Here is a knot that works well with thicker flurocarbon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZf8WeQ … 4%E3%81%A8

Also, there's a heavy version of it called the Bubba Shot, using braid and an EWG hook rigged weedless. I think it might be possible to punch through hydrilla with it, so that you can basically suspend a bait like a trick worm right under the top of the bed.

Last edited by Junger (May-26-21 7:55AM)

#5 May-26-21 2:22PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Junger wrote:

Here is a knot that works well with thicker flurocarbon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZf8WeQ … 4%E3%81%A8

Also, there's a heavy version of it called the Bubba Shot, using braid and an EWG hook rigged weedless. I think it might be possible to punch through hydrilla with it, so that you can basically suspend a bait like a trick worm right under the top of the bed.

Almost understood every word..born in Japan and lived there till I was 5 years old and took a babel coarse to learn it..

Now you will tell me it was not Japanese. LOL But that is the knot I used second time.

Maybe a real sea trout killer so I have to try it.

Capt Mike

#6 May-27-21 6:33AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Buddy likes drop shooting on the rivers in deeper pools.  Circle hook on a yum dinger stix-type bait.

Looses a few weights on occasion

Also works on a small tube

#7 May-27-21 9:41AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

hookup wrote:

Buddy likes drop shooting on the rivers in deeper pools.  Circle hook on a yum dinger stix-type bait.

Looses a few weights on occasion

Also works on a small tube

This sounds like the old Vespa story. Fun to ride, but not be seen riding one.

Capt Mike

#8 May-27-21 11:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

You can also use a tube or a jig instead of the weight. Two lures in one presentation.

Time to go fishin' again!

#9 May-29-21 5:46AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

I started drop shotting a few years ago when fishing a lake in NY. The fish were sitting in a stretch where the bottom was covered with nasty, mossy, slop. Any bait you put on the bottom, if not hit when it first landed, got covered and became unfishable. I tied on a drop shot and proceeded to hammer the fish and haven’t looked back since. I use them everywhere and I almost always have a rod with a drop shot ready to go.

For me, the palomar is my go to knot. If you jimmy it a little after putting the line through the eye, the hook stands out straight enough. To your point Mike, it doesn’t matter if it’s perfect, they eat it. The bait also has a little buoyancy and keeps the rig fairly level.

I use the Roboworm rebarb hooks and 4.5” and 6” roboworms most of the time. Those worms really dance when you shake the rod tip and draw a lot of bites. Definitely my most consistent producer for 3 to 4 years now. Last year during our evening sessions, after putting up a 7 to 1 streak the first evening and a 10 to 1 streak the next, my brother finally gave in and started fishing the drop shot. lol

Last edited by Paul Naj (May-29-21 5:52AM)

#10 May-29-21 5:49AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

You can also use a tube or a jig instead of the weight. Two lures in one presentation.

That’s a great idea. I’m mostly fishing mine in and around heavy weeds or rocky bottom so the pencil thin weights and Texas rigged hooks are needed, but for more open water, I’ll be giving that a try for sure.

Board footer