Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-12-21 11:36AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 4/12/21

Decided to get out in the morning for a few hours.  The little rain we got here must have been a lot more West of here, because the river rose 2 feet overnight and another almost 2 feet while I was out.  I started out running up between the islands and VA shoreline.  I tried an area where I figured fish could stage before spawning with water temps in the 60's.  I got one bite on a small jig and craw, but it just pulled down the craw.

I tried some shoreline eddies out on the main river and then floated and anchored one island going back.  The water was green, but getting more turbid and the water volume and floating debris increased as time passed.  No bites in typical areas and some snags and lost lures.  I finally got to a more protected eddy area with wood at the front and a stump and more wood toward the back.  I cast a tube next to the stump and got a good thump.  I hooked up and landed a feisty 14.5" smallie.

https://i.imgur.com/AkDE8Wh.jpg

I tried tubes, jigs, ned rig, spinnerbait, chatterbait and a small crank, but conditions were tough.  I saw one more boat and he was coming up behind me.  I ate my lunch and tried some more, but the debris was getting heavy with some larger logs floating down.

I called it and got in just as it started to rain.  I had to wait for the other boat (triton with 40hp jet).  I asked if they caught any and they said no.  The Sterling EMS and Rescue squad pulled up with their river rescue equipment as I was pulling out.  They said they were doing training.

I hit the one heavier rain cloud coming out of Algonkian to rt. 7.  It was dry by the time I got on rt. 7.  I fished from about 7:30am until 1:30pm.  At least I didn't get skunked.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Apr-12-21 12:03PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Upper Potomac 4/12/21

Nice chunk! I've been hearing the cicadas a little more frequently...it's almost the invasion time!

#3 Apr-12-21 12:24PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow!  I was thinking it might be soon.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Apr-12-21 1:52PM

Ernie
Administrator

The river rose 2-3 feet while you were out. Maybe more. River is over 7' now...you caught it just before blow out time.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer