Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-05-21 3:53PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 4/5/21

I decided to take my time and got out later.  I was on the water by about 10am, with one other boat in front of me.  Water was a turbid green and moving pretty fast with N/NW winds forecasted 5-10mph, but blowing already.  I decided to make a long run and ended up at Heartbreak Hotel (Ernie knows what I mean).  Water was just over 50 degrees and water was right around 4 foot at POR.

I started with a tube and around the second cast with one, I felt pressure.  I reeled up and had it hooked.  It was moving toward me and I was about to grab the net, when it kept going under the boat.  The line got tight and pulled hard and it broke me off!  I had 6 pound line on that rod and had the drag set too tight.  Just to confirm that it was a bass, it jumped behind the boat trying to throw the hook.  I never saw the fish, but I was unable to move it. 

I proceeded to stay at Heartbreak Hotel for way too long.  I saw one other good-sized smallie follow a jig I was reeling in to re-cast.  I tried tubes, jigs, chatterbait, spinnerbait, ned rig and various tubes.   I drifted and anchored to hit a couple shoreline eddies below there.  Nada.

I ate lunch and floated for a while.  I drifted a couple lures behind the boat with no bites.  I decided to hit the mouth of a tributary.

I got in position and tossed a ned rig and drifted it toward me when something hit.  I set the hook and pop, the line broke.  This was new 8 pound co-poly,  I grabbed another rod with a tube and tossed it near where I got but and fish-on!  After a strong fight, I netted this fat 17"er.

https://i.imgur.com/hUrQ361.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S92WkmH.jpg

I was floating, so I started the motor and swung around to position myself again.  I anchored and tossed the tube.  I got hit again and when I set the hook, the line came flying at me and wrapped around the rod (braid).  I grabbed a different rod with a tube on it and tossed it out near where I caught the fish and I got a bite.  I waited a second and set the hook, but the fish let go.  I remembered that I need to pull straight up when setting the hook when the fish bite like this.  I tossed out again and I got bit again.  I set the hook and the fish pulled some drag.  After a good fight, I netted another healthy smallie that was 18".

https://i.imgur.com/MBOoUAI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cfMZlpV.jpg

I got broke off on another hookset (braid).  I noted that there were rocks and snags that were where I was getting bit and I think I got cut off on a rock.  After a couple more snags and retying, I was unable to entice any more bites.  I got a text from my wife and noticed it was already 4pm.  My allergies were starting to act up and I decided to head back in.

There were a ton of people, plus the crew team was meeting and the parking lot was full.  Luckily, there was no one at the ramp and I was able to get out with no hassles.  Got off by 5pm,  Saw lots of birds, several eagles and a small beaver along with the deer at the park.  Beautiful Spring day to get out on the water!  Fish are feeding and getting ready to spawn soon.

Last edited by drxfish (Apr-05-21 3:57PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Apr-05-21 4:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Upper Potomac 4/5/21

A couple of nice tubs...and some misses. Way to go. Now, you have to go back again for more heartbreak!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-05-21 5:01PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Lesson learned was this is not the time to go with finesse tackle.  You get one chance.  Double check everything.  They are staging.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Apr-05-21 6:17PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Nice fish John!

Board footer