Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-02-21 7:44PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

4/2 Bitter Cold Occoquan

I got there around 8am and had the place to myself most of the morning, and for good reason. It was COLD and WINDY! Temps in the 30s and winds in the upper teens. Good thing I was bundled up pretty well. I even fished with gloves on, but even still my fingers were hurting after an hour. That wind is no joke. It was colder than when I used to go trout fishing in the preseason in Feb, at sunrise in subfreezing temps, with ice on my guides it was so cold. Any how this was my view for most of the morning.

https://i.imgur.com/PTiaHJOh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eQoI50Kh.jpg

I had two rods and snagged both within the first 30 minutes. Retying was hard because of the wind and cold. On top of that the anti-reverse on my Okuma Epixor I was using, one of my favorite reels, which I got from Ernie, was only working intermittently. It's like your back, you don't realize how much you use it until it's broken. Someone else showed up around 9 and fished under the bridge. He caught a shad right away. I was dismayed since I had been there an hour and with nothing to show. He left after about 20 minutes though. Maybe just fishing on the way to work? Or he got his fix and got out of there since it was so cold. After he left I promptly moved to where he was. Around 10:30 a Tracker putters up not to far downstream from the bridge. He hooked up within 5 minutes. I didn't see any fish after that. I fished until 11 and still not a bite sad I left wind-burned and beaten.

I did see a ospreys, herons, and cormorants. I saw two osprey flying with fish in their claws. Also while I was under the bridge I saw in the corner of my eye something flop into the water. I thought someone threw something from the bridge but no one was on the bridge. It sounded like a big flop, as if something landing sideways. I figure it was either a bird that dropped a huge fish, or a carp that got some serious air time. I also saw a kayaker. He worked his way all the way up stream and then floated back down. The current was flowing pretty good and the wind was blowing down stream. He was moving at a pretty good rate and looked pretty jacked though so I guess that is one of his forms of exercise?

As I got into my car my wife called me wondering when I was going to be home because she was feeling pretty sick (her pregnancies are always rough). I was originally going to stop by Brickmakers Cafe, but now I was second guessing that decision in order to get home sooner. As I was approaching the light for Occoquan Park I decided that I needed something to reward myself with something good since the fishing wasn't. I got their burger and it was good! I mean just look at it! I am very pleased that it came with the fries too.

https://i.imgur.com/6vpyzCzh.jpg

I am really itching to get some pullage. I don't know if I'll be able to get out again, but I want to return and get some vengeance!

Last edited by firemunkee (Apr-02-21 9:03PM)

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Apr-03-21 5:26AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: 4/2 Bitter Cold Occoquan

Well you gave it a shot with those conditions. Great reward for the efforts, hope you had a nice dram later that night too!

#3 Apr-03-21 5:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

Brrrr....but as Tom said above, great reward. Those burgers are good for sure.

Hope your wife is feeling better.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Apr-03-21 7:28AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Rough going!  Sorry to hear about the skunk.  A good meal always help to get over a tough day.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#5 Apr-03-21 3:27PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I went out and braved the wind at Fletcher's on Tuesday. At least it was warm.  Also skunked.  I only saw a couple shad caught.  Still too early for the numbers?  Or do shad not like wind?

#6 Apr-03-21 4:08PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I read that heavier current bunches them up.  Water needs to be 50 or above.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#7 Apr-03-21 5:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

Water temps only dropped below 50df for a bit this morning...

The early run is always sporadic.

Cold does put them deeper. As does sun.

Turbidity will put them down, spiked on the 28th, but I think it was an anomaly. It's been down all week.

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Apr-05-21 5:51AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I fished last Friday with a crew that just had to fish. Caught 4 keeper crappie and a throw back. Man it was cold and windy. Saw three river otters also. And Saturday fished all day with only one crappie. Saw at least a dozen turkey.
It was a good try to get shad. Kudos to you.

Water temps dropped 15 degrees during cold snap..CAN YOU SAY LOCK JAW>...

Thanks for the report
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer