Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-26-21 4:37PM

Ernie
Administrator

Plans to Restrict Boating in the Washington Channel take action now!

Make Your Voice Heard on January 27 at Virtual Public Forum

Washington Channel

The Army Corps of Engineers plans to create a permanent security zone in the Washington Channel that would dramatically restrict boating and fishing in a large portion of this narrow, busy waterway next to Fort McNair and very close to the Wharf and several marinas. The Corps has not offered any detailed justification for creating this zone, and has not publicly talked about any alternatives, such as a barrier fence along the Fort’s waterfront that could provide security. Restricting boat traffic to a narrow section of the Channel would increase, not reduce, safety concerns and could deter boaters from recreating in this area, which is theirs to use!

The Washington Channel is a public waterway and part of the Potomac River that belongs to all of us! In response to strong public concern, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton will be hosting this virtual forum, joined by staff from Fort McNair. Join us Wednesday, January 27 at 6 p.m. to learn more, ask tough questions, and voice your opposition to this ill conceived and misguided proposal.
Support our efforts to keep the Washington Channel safe and accessible to the public!

Congresswoman Norton has asked that you RSVP in advance to participate in the Zoom call. Email her at NortonEvents@mail.house.gov

Don’t forget to submit public comments online; the deadline is Thursday, January 28!

You may submit comments, identified by docket number COE-2019-0010, by any of the following methods:

Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments to docket number COE-2019-0010.

Email: david.b.olson@usace.army.mil. Include the docket number, COE-2019-0010, in the subject line of the message.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jan-26-21 5:04PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Plans to Restrict Boating in the Washington Channel take action now!

Boy, they sure make it easy!  Last minute too.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jan-26-21 5:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

This has been going on for a while....was actually up for Dec. but was extended. My bad for posting so late.

#4 Jan-27-21 3:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

I attended the meeting...I thought I was back at work.

Ms. Norton opened up and then another gentleman spoke and he was terrific.

Army General Jones arrived late (irritated the Congresswoman)...

The folks that spoke were against the Army proposal (cutting channel in half). Patrick Revord for DC Wharf was good as well.

Gen. Jones then tried to clarify the issue.

No loitering, anchoring within 100 meters (110yds) from Ft. McNair. That is a loooog way from the "wall'.

His explanation was BS because he said that they call the cops if they have an issue off base. They can do the same with DC Harbor Police.

A retired Army Colonel spoke against the proposal.

They actually think placing floating signs on th water will stop bad guys. The general said a "swimmer" breached the property one day. He was cold and needed to get on land. Sheesh!

I was able to write a few comments in the "chat" area.

The councilman from Ward 6 was against the proposal as well. He spokel and did a great job.

Now the general says they need to be able to call the police if there is an issue. What had changed?

This is bureaucracy at it best...I lived it for my last 20 years working. I thought I got away from it!

Even the Potomac River Keeper spoke against the proposal! He asked a very specific question about fishing and called a few people out. Strong statement!

The General did say (he read it) that fishing will be permitted withing the prohibited area. If someone is suspicious, they will call the cops.

That's it...I got off at this point and went to get my dinner. Then another Zoom at 7:30p.

#5 Jan-27-21 4:30PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for that, Ernie.  Seems like a ridiculous hassle.  I always saw MPs or police cars patrolling whenever I fished near the wall.  I was only questioned once by police boat when wind took me too close before I got the motor started.   Having small boats in that channel when boat traffic opens up will be dangerous.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Jan-27-21 4:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

The issue is that they've had some threats and are looking to button up all the security areas. It makes sense but it's an overreach.

#7 Jan-27-21 5:15PM

darbrewe

Coming from a retired Army NCO, this is a bad look for the Army. And it's going to get worse.

#8 Feb-15-21 3:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

Norton Calls on Defense Secretary to Withdraw Proposed Rule Restricting Public Access to Washington Channel, Announces Bill to Block Rule

Feb 9, 2021
Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) today released a letter she sent requesting that Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin withdraw the proposed rule restricting public access to the Washington Channel next to Fort McNair in the District of Columbia and prohibit the issuance of any similar proposed rule.  Norton also announced she will introduce legislation to block this proposed rule. Norton hosted a public meeting on the proposed rule on January 27th, where D.C. residents overwhelmingly opposed the rule.

“Congress passed my bill to redevelop the Southwest Waterfront, and the Wharf will be one of the sites most affected by the proposed rule,” Norton said. “The Wharf has reinvigorated community engagement on the waterfront and has generated considerable tax revenue for the District. Moreover, the rule is unnecessarily restrictive, and even when given the opportunity, military officials have not addressed the question of whether less restrictive measures could provide the same security.”

The text of the letter follows:

February 2, 2021

The Honorable Lloyd J. Austin III

Secretary

Department of Defense

1000 Defense Pentagon

Washington, DC 20301

Dear Secretary Austin:

I write to request that you direct the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) to withdraw the proposed rule (COE-2019-0010) restricting public access to the Washington Channel (Channel) next to Fort McNair in the District of Columbia and that you prohibit USACE from proposing a similar rule.  This rule is arbitrary, capricious and unnecessarily restricts recreational and commercial access to the Channel without providing any benefits to Fort McNair.  I also will be introducing legislation to block this proposed rule.  On January 27, 2021, I hosted a public meeting with the U.S. Army, USACE and District of Columbia residents and officials to discuss the proposed rule, and D.C. residents and officials overwhelmingly opposed the rule.

During the public meeting, Fort McNair officials cited threats to military assets as the reason to restrict access to the Channel, but did not address whether any less restrictive measures could provide the same security.  The Washington Navy Yard and Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, which also have access to D.C. rivers, do not have restricted zones on their shorelines.  D.C. residents and officials are particularly concerned that the proposed restrictions could cause injury by forcing kayaks and other recreational boats into the same space as water taxis and cruise ships.

Congress passed my bill to redevelop the Southwest Waterfront, and the Wharf will be one of the sites most affected by the proposed rule.  The Wharf has reinvigorated community engagement on the waterfront and has generated considerable tax revenue for the District.  The Channel is increasingly used for regional transportation (water taxis) and recreation (kayaking, paddle boarding, boating and river events).  The stretch of the Channel past Fort McNair in Southwest is the only connection to the Potomac River.

Thank you for considering my request.  Please respond in writing by March 2, 2021.

#9 Feb-16-21 7:48AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

One thing I've learned in government work is don't step in front of the 800 pound Gorilla

In this case the 800 pound Gorilla is the DoD

I use to surf the waves off a Marine base in SoCA.  The military tried to prohibit the surfers from walking the beach to the break.  Although the beach was open to the public, it was still disheartening to come out of the water and be greeted by M-16s.  I fixed it by asking Dad to register my car on base so I could park in the "marine" lot by the beach.  Since Dad was an office, my car got saluted every time a Marine would see the sticker

Last edited by hookup (Feb-16-21 9:27AM)

#10 Feb-16-21 9:19AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

One thing I've learned in government work is don't step in front of the 800 pound Gorilla

In this case the 800 pound Gorilla is the DoD

I use to surf the waves off a Marine base in SoCA.  The military tried to prohibit the surfers from walking the beach to the break.  Although the beach was open to the public, it was still disheartening to come out of the water and be greeted by M-16s.  I fixed it by asking Dad to register my car on beach so I could park in the "marine" lot by the beach.  Since Dad was an office, my car got saluted every time a Marine would see the sticker

Sounds like we surfed the same areas George!  I did a lot back in the early 90s while stationed in Pendleton.  I agree with you on this.  The DoD will have it's way.  Doesn't matter who the opposition is because the amount of support and funding that goes into these regions can easily be redirected...under the guise of national defense or whatever they want.  I do think they will compromise though with a fencing of sorts like at quantico.  Just my .02 cents.

#11 Feb-16-21 9:31AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Sounds like we surfed the same areas George!  I did a lot back in the early 90s while stationed in Pendleton.  .

Use to park at Old Mans and walk up to the Church's break on base until Dad got me the sticker.  Also surfed Trestles, San O, and the San Clemente pier

Even though Norton plans to propose legislation against the DoD closing down the access, DoD is not subject to the Districts regulations.  Norton needs to remember it's the Federal government that funds 25-30% of the Districts $$'s.  Right or wrong, in politics, its not wise to bite the hand that feeds you

Last edited by hookup (Feb-16-21 9:38AM)

Board footer