Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-06-20 8:30AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Carp fishing bug...

I am going to fish with Joe Bruce in a couple weeks for carp. He has got me pretty excited about this stuff. Tackle is totally different so before I pull the trigger on some basic purchases I really need to see if it is as fun as he says. I wonder if clients would be interested in this style of fishing or should I just enjoy it myself. So many possibilities with this style of fishing.

Tackle can be very expensive and for right now I am just looking at the basic low end stuff. Think I could get away with about 350 bucks for three rod pod setup and terminal tackle.

Has any one done this?

What was your experience?

Thanks for your input.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Oct-06-20 9:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Carp fishing bug...

I've caught a few carp when fishing for something else. Quite the ride!

So...Joe Bruce is a lunatic! And I say that in a loving and admiring way. That guy studies and figures it out. I think he has gills...

What is the gear of choice? Is a specific type of rod? Reel?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Oct-06-20 10:25AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Depends on how far you want to take this

I use to take an older heavier rod down to pools I know of, throw out some corn as chum, and put some boilers or strips of balongna on a small hook and have a blast.  Good way to practice back reeling with a spinning reel

Also caught many of the bonus carp fish while bass fishing - we call them bugle-mouth bass.  I've caught them on tubes, senkos, and grubs on ML powered rods and 10# braid or 6# mono

Or you can go the English way - but will warn you they take their carp fishing seriously - which means $$$'s

This website will help you with ideas for gear that range from the beginner to serious carp fisherman
https://www.bigcarptackle.com

I've often wondered with the abundance of carp in our rivers why more guides aren't out there trying to attract the Brits into fishing for them?

#4 Oct-07-20 5:04AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Gear of choice is a three rod pod with Diaiwa MadDragon 12 ft rod and a baitrunner. 10 lb braid and a method feeder.

Kinda sounds like I am speaking a different language doesn't it.

Capt Mike

#5 Oct-07-20 7:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

Kinda like crappie fishing on steroids?

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Oct-07-20 1:29PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TBQAAOSwI49emdiC/s-l1600.jpg

You ain't bass fishing ....

#7 Oct-09-20 4:45AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Capt Mike, I've caught many a carp because they are abundant, huge, and just down right fun to catch.  When they take, it's like a runaway train.  I use a breadball recipe from my wifes family and it works like a charm.  I've also caught them during sight fishing using foliage during fall.  Kinda crazy I know.  Best way I've seen as far as catching for fun and challenge is on a light rod.  Baits are all over the place with corn as George said, wheat balls, etc.  I find that white bread works very well.  I can't even imagine how big they are in the Potomac!

#8 Oct-09-20 5:20AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Capt Mike, I've caught many a carp because they are abundant, huge, and just down right fun to catch.  When they take, it's like a runaway train.  I use a breadball recipe from my wifes family and it works like a charm.  I've also caught them during sight fishing using foliage during fall.  Kinda crazy I know.  Best way I've seen as far as catching for fun and challenge is on a light rod.  Baits are all over the place with corn as George said, wheat balls, etc.  I find that white bread works very well.  I can't even imagine how big they are in the Potomac!

I second the light tackle. To be fair, I haven't done much carp fishing and I've only used light tackle and corn, but it is a blaaaaaaaaaast!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#9 Oct-09-20 6:54AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Funny story while carp fishing

Know a nice pool that's accessible through a parking lot and is full of carp.  So full it's like fishing in a bucket full.

Had a family about 20' below where I was fishing and hooked a carp.  After pulling it in, I released it and the Grandmother came over and gave me a piece of her mind in a language I didn't understand.  But I got the jist of it.

10 minutes later hooked another carp and landed it.  I walked over to the Grandmother and gave it to her.  You could tell from the tone of her voice that she was overjoyed to be gifted the fish.  So much so she tried to hook me up with her grand daughter as my next wife.

#10 Oct-09-20 9:32AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

Funny story while carp fishing

Know a nice pool that's accessible through a parking lot and is full of carp.  So full it's like fishing in a bucket full.

Had a family about 20' below where I was fishing and hooked a carp.  After pulling it in, I released it and the Grandmother came over and gave me a piece of her mind in a language I didn't understand.  But I got the jist of it.

10 minutes later hooked another carp and landed it.  I walked over to the Grandmother and gave it to her.  You could tell from the tone of her voice that she was overjoyed to be gifted the fish.  So much so she tried to hook me up with her grand daughter as my next wife.

CANT MAKE THAT UP!!!  that is funny.  There is a spot I like to fish at bull run where it is loaded with CARP and it's all catch and release with a couple photos for the passerby of course.  Another place I like is Conowingo Dam for many reasons for everything...but Carp are huge there!

#11 Feb-03-21 8:09AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Got the two rods in and one had a broken first eye. So I replaced it and did a rather shoddy job of it. But it will fish. Sometimes getting the recipe for pack bait can be like pulling teeth. Well guarded secrets I guess. Hoping for a bit warmer weather to try my hand at carp fishing.

Still do not know if corn on the hair rig is right thing or a pop up boile.

Capt Mike

#12 Feb-04-21 5:36AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

corn is a great way to chum too.  I like to get them frenzied up for feeding with that.  It's just harder to target your catch because everyone is grabbing at everything creating a cloud in the water.  If you get this going right....you're gonna be very busy with all the Europeans coming in for this.  Most do it from shore, so doing it from a boat may be different.

#13 Feb-04-21 10:31AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Corn to chum and whatever your favorite dough ball, lunch meat, or boilee to fish

I've always wondered why more guides didn't target the Europeans and carp

Board footer