Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-14-20 2:51PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Someone- Anyone

There's no doubt this is my favorite fishing forum. Guys and gals here fish for what I like to fish for. Most posts come with pics, and I really think exaggeration is kept to an acceptable minimum.

My problem is this, you guys and gals aren't posting. Ernie is understandable. He was boatless thru Indian Summer, and now the temperature is hovering near his lower limit. That doesn't excuse the rest of you. If you're not fishing or catching anything PLEASE make something up. Feel free to exaggerate (just this once)

I need a fish story. Thanks

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#2 Nov-14-20 6:30PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Someone- Anyone

Between kids at home for school, and really awful Q3 closing period, I've been super busy been barely fishing. But I'll put up a couple posts up of some outtings.

#3 Nov-14-20 7:05PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I had shoulder surgery and am out of commission for at least another month, Bob.  It is killing me.  Had to get it done.  Will be back at it ASAP though.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Nov-14-20 7:47PM

Ernie
Administrator

I just posted but..........I need to see some of the pickles Bob caught a couple of weeks back!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Nov-15-20 5:20AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

LKA got trashed last week with over 6 inches of rain.  Extremely muddy now and lots of debris. Might be several days before it is fishable.....and give a report.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#6 Nov-15-20 5:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

I drove down to Scottsville to get my boat on Thursday and it rained all the way down. It had been doing that since the night before. The creeks and small rivers (some go into Anna) that I crossed were all double latte, as Capt. Mike would say.

#7 Nov-15-20 10:50AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Been working allot so haven't had the time to fish

But every weekday. I've hiked the Potomac with a buddy

Here's what the river looks like from the bank

https://i.imgur.com/xuLqwMf.jpg

And from a drone

https://i.imgur.com/K3ucqdA.jpg

And occasionally we get company.  These things must be fed by people because they come right up to us like we have food for them

https://i.imgur.com/fDC7TJm.jpg

Last edited by hookup (Nov-15-20 10:50AM)

#8 Nov-15-20 10:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

That drone pic is outstanding!

#9 Nov-15-20 11:01AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

That's Tenfoot Island and VanDeventer Island

Last edited by hookup (Nov-15-20 11:01AM)

#10 Nov-16-20 5:10AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

You're right, and I for one am one of those who loves to fish, but just don't have time for it as much due to work and obligations.  But, I am planning a trout outing soon (to stock up) with an outfit at Star Tannery.  It's not exactly in the "wild" but it gives me a chance to get out and enjoy getting the line wet.  I also have hunting season now!  Not that anyone wants to see a bloody mess.  But the morning views of the sunrise and storys of the hunt are sometimes cool. 
Might I suggest we add a little side discussion of how everyone is setting up their vehicles for boat/kayak/etc.. transport?  I for one have always been interested in this and curious to see how others do it.  I actually set up my new truck just for this!

#11 Nov-16-20 5:38AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

how everyone is setting up their vehicles for boat/kayak/etc.. transport? !

For past vehicles, I've car-topped with a set of Yakima racks.  Each car needed either different towers or clips.  My current vehicle is a Jeep with a soft top so took a Jon boat trailer and converted it to haul kayak's with a conversion kit from Austin Kayak.  Much easier to life the kayaks onto a trailer than on the top of a car/Jeep.

https://i.imgur.com/xBKOfNq.jpg

#12 Nov-16-20 5:41AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Before I got the trailer ...

https://i.imgur.com/5tIo2rQ.jpg

#13 Nov-16-20 7:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

I also have hunting season now!  Not that anyone wants to see a bloody mess.  But the morning views of the sunrise and storys of the hunt are sometimes cool.

Your posts on the Hunting section have received thousands of views over the years...

Might I suggest we add a little side discussion of how everyone is setting up their vehicles for boat/kayak/etc.. transport?  I for one have always been interested in this and curious to see how others do it.  I actually set up my new truck just for this!

With my 2500HD Silverado, it was easy to transport my big Hobie PA (14'). Slid right in, tied it down and needed no extension.

Now that I use the Trailblazer, I added a bed extender and it's pretty easy too. I do have to secure the hatch door but no big deal.

#14 Nov-17-20 5:31AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Dang George!  I forgot how you used to carry your kayak!  I didn't even know a jeep could fit that!

I had to balance my love for off roading with kayak fishing, so it was fun working a technique to lift the feelfree kayak on my truck.  It worked like a charm every time and having the spare tire to sit it on and a roller bar on the roof rack was key!

At first, I had a FJ Cruiser that was lifted, so it was a little tall.  But using my technique it worked out well and sat on top nicely with a couple straps.

After my traffic accident when I lost my truck due to a heavy rear ending by a semi fuel truck, I decided to go with an overland build and get a midsize pickup.  I build it up based on my use of the kayak and you can see in the link below that I added a Yakima roller bar to the bed truss for this very purpose of loading a kayak and the tailgate makes the perfect staging point for loading and unloading.  I have since then added a couple automatic retractable straps to make tying down anything like the kayak much easier instead of having to fight with loose straps everywhere! 
(trying out this google picture share below).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/16x6KgpaNU1gb9Vi7

I thought about a trailer, but wanted to keep maneuverability and ease of parking (self contained).  Besides, how was I gonna convince the wife I needed this setup on my truck otherwise!!! lol

#15 Nov-17-20 6:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice.  Luv the way you accessorize your vehicles. 

I thought about a trailer, but wanted to keep maneuverability and ease of parking (self contained).

I get it. Been years since I hauled a trailer, but after a few times, was able to back it up reasonably well. On some of the small back roads, have been known to take the trailer off while making a u turn on the small back roads, then hooking the trailer back on.

I'm considering a hard top, but enjoying the soft top too much.  Maybe later?

Wife didn't complain to much about the trailer conversion.  Only cost me $200 and I still have the Jon & trailer stuff I took off

Last edited by hookup (Nov-17-20 6:50AM)

#16 Nov-17-20 7:10AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great pics and mods.  I have been walking, but closer to home until I get cleared to drive (very soon).

#17 Nov-18-20 4:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

Nice.  Luv the way you accessorize your vehicles. 

I thought about a trailer, but wanted to keep maneuverability and ease of parking (self contained).

I get it. Been years since I hauled a trailer, but after a few times, was able to back it up reasonably well. On some of the small back roads, have been known to take the trailer off while making a u turn on the small back roads, then hooking the trailer back on.

I'm considering a hard top, but enjoying the soft top too much.  Maybe later?

Wife didn't complain to much about the trailer conversion.  Only cost me $200 and I still have the Jon & trailer stuff I took off

I grew up with a jeep, so I well know the pro/cons of it.  One of my favorite companies for racks makes a great one for the jeep (Gobi) and I've seen several in the area folks are running.  But, I agree with the small trailer....I've done exactly what you say on dirt roads.....just "unhook" and turn it around! 

I'm actually in the market for a full size trailer at this point for purposes of hauling heavier things like my old couch I gotta take to the dump! 

Oh yea....I forgot to mention!  I moved from Fairfax to Stafford, so I have way more room to do things!  Sold the lake anna home too!  No more trying to take care of two homes....so much better!

#18 Nov-18-20 1:32PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Many friends ask why don't I buy a second home and rent it out?  Your last comment is why.  Same reason I don't own multiple cars.  When I had 5 motorcycles, it became a maintenance nightmare.  Good for you to downsize.  More time on your hands to fish

I've car topped a couch before.  Seriously. 

Never heard of Gobi - will check them out.

#19 Nov-19-20 10:26AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Sunrise on the 'Mac

24dF

https://i.imgur.com/wmpEmIq.jpg

#20 Nov-19-20 11:52AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice view!

#21 Nov-19-20 1:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

Brrrr....

#22 Nov-20-20 5:10AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Brrrr....

That was my exact thought!!!!  I even got a chill when I saw it!

Side note:  I promised the neighbors I would smoke some trout for them and made the run to the market for fish (Blasphemy I know!)  purchased some rainbows for $8 each.  It wasn't much of a fishing experience, but it got me thinking....why aren't I going out and catching some rainbows for a little more?  So, I'm looking at booking a date to catch some "stocked" trout in Star Tannery later in Dec.  It's not the same as you know....fishing the wild, but it's pretty close being 4 miles of stream.  Might as well get the line wet and enjoy the catch!  I'm not retired (2nd time) fully yet, so I don't have the time to take time away completely.  Thoughts on this?

#23 Nov-20-20 6:29AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Nicer out this morning.  Actually sweated after a bit - needed to remove layers

As far as trout - do it.  You're at least on the river, right?

As far as smoking, marinate in soy/teriyaki/ginger/onion/garlic/olive oil/sesame seed, then smoke.  Save some for us

#24 Nov-20-20 9:36AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

You know it!  That sounds like a good recipe for anything!!!!  pics after the smoking....not smoking Cubans like ernie smoking, but curing!

#25 Nov-20-20 9:55AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I both cure & smoke

For curing, I'll rub the fish (usually salmon) with a mixture of vodka, ground pepper, and garlic.  Then wrap the fish in rock salt, sugar, lemon peel, fresh dill and let sit for 24 hours.  This draws out the moisture in the fish and for salmon makes lox.  Some then smoke the lox but I don't

For smoking, marinate and put in a smoker with a mild flavored wood - usually something from a fruit tree.

The marinade works great on pork too

Board footer