Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-12-20 12:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-12-20, UP

I know, I said that I was not going to fish the UP for a while but Bruce wanted to go so we did.

When I left the house, it was pouring rain with lots of lightning and thunder. But I had looked at the radar and it looked like POR would be spared. Heck, they got zippo rain! Dry as dry can be.

We met up at the ramp at 6:30a and were fishing shortly thereafter.

It's a beautiful morning (who said that?) to be out for sure!

https://i.imgur.com/HOdZEI5.jpg

With the river dropping below 2.5', I did not want to risk going up to Lander, the water with all the rocks, so we drifted a fairly deep (4-7') area for a bit.

I was using my weedless ned rig when I got caught on the bottom but it moved and I caught a fish. He jumped 3 times...it was nice! As Bruce brought the net in the water, the fish came unbuttoned but I was glad a fish had been hooked.

A little bit later, Bruce also had one that decided he didn't want to come into the boat either. We were glad we were getting bit as there was some surface activity.

I should have mentioned that earlier, in the shallower area above where we were drifting, we did try top water. Bruce with a Tiny Torpedo and me with a small Sammie. I think Bruce got a sniff but that was it.

While still in the same deeper water area, Bruce reared back and set a Roland Martin type hook set and got this little guy.

https://i.imgur.com/FfnFIvP.jpg

We drifted some more over the boulder field but once the sun got high, everything shut down.

We were drifting aimlessly when it got really shallow and my trolling motor was getting banged around pretty bad. I went up to lift it so we could pass the shallow water. When I deployed it, nothing. The remote said it was working but the blade was not spinning. So we beached the boat and I started working on it. Took the blade off and there was some snot grass on it but nothing bad. I thought that was it until I redeployed it and it fired up. I think stowing it probably reset it.

Anyway, we fished some more but it was getting hot as we had little to no wind and the humidity was up there.

We saw blue herons, green herons, ospreys and eagles. And NO boats!

Ended up with a nice steak and cheese at the POR Deli and home by 1:15p.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-12-20 2:18PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 8-12-20, UP

River's low - you're brave

Sounds like everything worked out, no skunk, and another memory in the books

#3 Aug-12-20 4:32PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Glad to hear you got some bites.  No casualties and a good meal.  Success!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Aug-12-20 4:44PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

My minn kotas require you turn it off and wait 60 seconds and turn it back on. Must be a relay sensor in the motor speed sensor.

Or the copper ousaty is not gashy ateing.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#5 Aug-12-20 8:31PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Glad you were able to fish. My goal was Sandy Point, but it rained plenty here. Sounds like tomorrow will be a repeat, so I'm not even setting the clock.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#6 Aug-13-20 5:50AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Bites were few and far between, but the conversation was enjoyable. And with all of the Covid-19 quarantining, it was great to just get out of confinement for a few hours. The stretch of water we fished was beautiful and we had the whole river to ourselves. Ernie got to smoke a cigar, use his mechanic skills on the trolling motor, and practice his Spanish skills while enjoying a good lunch. So all-in-all, I think it was a great day.

Board footer