Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-24-20 2:23PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 6/24/20

I got out early and thought I would see if I could catch anything.  Nice sunrise.

https://i.imgur.com/Et1MEsd.jpg

River level was about 4 feet at POR.  The river looked stained. but not muddy.  I tried a few spots near the ramp and then headed up river.

As I was heading up, there looked to be a good amount of debris and the river was getting muddier.  I stopped at the island, but nothing there, so I headed to Goose Creek.  I fished the mudline from the river to the creek.  There was significant muddy water coming down the river.  After no bites there, I headed up the creek.

I worked the faster water and messed around with some little fish that could not even get a ned in their mouth.  I worked my way down slowly, fighting a steady NW breeze.   No bites on spin jig, spinnerbait, craw, ned or 4" lizard.  As I was about 3/4 out of the creek, I finally caught a tiny bass on a small crankbait.  I threw that some more and this guy hit me at the boat.

https://i.imgur.com/zRuvoCG.jpg

I caught one more dink smallie before getting to the mouth of the creek.  This guy was looking pretty majestic perched on a tree limb.

https://i.imgur.com/EBg5Jmf.jpg

I got back out to the river and it was muddy now.  Almost red-clay muddy mixing in.  I ate my lunch and headed back.  I checked the inside of the islands and it was muddy there also.  I was off the river a little after noon.  At least I did not get skunked.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Jun-24-20 5:53PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Upper Potomac 6/24/20

Nice report John, weather looked great! The catfish and heron are my arch nemeses on the Potomac!

#3 Jun-24-20 6:09PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

He paid a price.  All his rolling caused the back hook to catch his eye.  I hate it when that happens, but it seems to happen a lot with smaller aggressive cats.

#4 Jun-24-20 6:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

A day or 2 ago, I looked at the POR gauge and noticed a sharp spike. That's usually a slug of water for sure. Glad you got some bites.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jun-25-20 4:34AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

The weird thing is that the river was not as muddy at first.  There must have been some really muddy water that came down from way upstream.  Reddish cream in the coffee.  Hopefully that clears quickly.  We need the grass to come back.

#6 Jun-25-20 4:39AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

One cool thing I saw was about 6 Loudoun County Sheriffs in 2 ATVs (one with a stretcher) coming back from the trails.  They must have been doing training.

#7 Jun-25-20 5:40AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I was at POR the other day and they were practicing rescues.  The water was at flood level.  One guy would "fall out of the boat" and the others would take chase and rescue him.  Takes some big balls to jump into a flooded river with the current that strong.

#8 Jun-25-20 1:33PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

drxfish wrote:

One cool thing I saw was about 6 Loudoun County Sheriffs in 2 ATVs (one with a stretcher) coming back from the trails.  They must have been doing training.

That wasn't training, it was a recovery.
https://loudounnow.com/2020/06/25/missi … rland-run/

#9 Jun-27-20 5:13PM

Ernie
Administrator

Drownings are up this year...sad.

A few weeks back, after fishing out of Algonkian, there were many, many kids in the river and on the crew dock. They have no place to go. Can be dangerous.

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Jun-27-20 6:47PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I am sorry to hear that.  There were guys wading at the mouth of Goose Creek.  They were in up to their necks at points.  I know there was a drowning there recently.

#11 Jun-28-20 5:48AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Drownings are up this year...sad.

Loudoun Now reports the authorities found another dead kid in Sugarland Run

#12 Jun-28-20 6:05AM

Ernie
Administrator