Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-05-20 11:45AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

6/5/20 Mattawoman Creek

So after my son's PB LMB last week, he wanted to try for a snakehead and we headed out to Mattawoman this morning. We arrived at 5:45AM, and were the first boat there. Ashton's helping a little more and more with prepping the boat.
https://i.imgur.com/uxJloCV.jpg

Hightide was around 8AM, and the water level was already up, probably due to the storms last night. Water temps were pretty consistent at 78.3 degrees, but stained everywhere, along with mud in other areas. Off we go, this was Ashton's first time going to Mattawoman, so similar to how Capt. Mike educated me on the vegetation on my first trip out, I did the same for Ashton.

https://i.imgur.com/2U3BnYX.jpg

I started in the back of the pads across from the Beach, but couldn't get anything to hit a frog or toad. There we so many bugs coming from the pads and Ashton's ADHD was kicking in and he couldn't take it anymore, so we got off the water by 8AM. Even though we got no fish, it was a success in my book. Ashton was using a baitcaster the whole time, and doing pretty well with distance. I had set it up to be anti-overrun with a Daiwa SV reel though, so one day I'll have to teach him how to thumb it better to really get the full technique down.

Can't wait to get back there soon. This was only my second time out on the boat this year, first time out was about 6 weeks ago with Brandon, but the motor wasn't peeing and it was cold so it was a very quick trip as well. I figured out the issue so hopefully I'll be able to get out here more with my dad or the boys.

https://i.imgur.com/s1TznNa.jpg

Last edited by Junger (Jun-05-20 1:46PM)

#2 Jun-05-20 12:39PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 6/5/20 Mattawoman Creek

Get them hooked young.  Nice report.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jun-08-20 6:26AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds like a successful trip to me! Looking forward to a report where he catches his first SH!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Jun-08-20 9:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

You have 2 good fishing buddies...plus your dad! Great stuff!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jun-09-20 6:43AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Went out last night for boat shake out. Four rods rigged from last year and no spare tackle. Caught 4 and lost my lure. Found an old hook and plastic bait on floor and caught another one. Had 5 explosive bites between loverly bride and I. Bride caught one nice also and lost two at the boat. Man the 3 hour trip was good. All set for Mattawomen this year it looks like. Water was clear to about 2 feet. No electronics on board so do not know what the water temp was.

Good call on not pushing the day for Ashton. Give them a hint and keep them coming back for more.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Jun-09-20 1:49PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

captmikestarrett wrote:

Good call on not pushing the day for Ashton. Give them a hint and keep them coming back for more.

Next year might be when Ashton and I do a trip with you or Dave!

Done with the Blanton's yet? Ready for another in 2 weeks???

#7 Jun-09-20 2:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

And where are you getting the Blanton's? Asking for a friend...

#8 Jun-09-20 3:37PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

Junger wrote:

MoCo ABS stores, I hit up my local one on delivery day, and since I’m working from home I can time it pretty good. Does your friend need a bottle? I usually get other BT brand bottled too (EH Taylor small batch, Eagle Rare, Baby Saz, and Buffalo Trace). They come in usually once a month, sometimes twice because of COVID. I don’t think restaurants are taking allocations, but that may change soon.

Last edited by Junger (Jun-09-20 3:39PM)

#9 Jun-09-20 4:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

I got some Angel's Envy the other day along with Eagle Rare. I never see Blanton's or EH Taylor SB in the VA ABC stores but I am not diligent about hitting them on delivery day.

They roll their eyes when I ask about Sazerac Rye or McKenna.

#10 Jun-09-20 5:18PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

I got some Angel's Envy the other day along with Eagle Rare. I never see Blanton's or EH Taylor SB in the VA ABC stores but I am not diligent about hitting them on delivery day.

I have some spare Blantons/EHT SB. I will shoot you an email, maybe we can meet up and do some fishing too!

#11 Jun-10-20 10:30AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Blantons rolled through Ashburn last week. Let me know what you're looking for and I will let you know when they come around. I have a system wink. I have passed on Blantons many times because there are other things I'm on the lookout for, but I did grab one for a coworker a few months ago when it rolled through loco.  I scored a bunch of EHT SmB and SiB this way. Unfortunately, those items are now restricted so there is no more visibility to what stores have EHT in stock. Fortunately I have backup bottles of both. Once all this covid stuff is over we should get together for some whiskey and cigars like I saw you doing the other day on your deck!

Also, if you need more Angel's Envy bourbon Costco DC has it for $42. It's been sitting in the case for a while so it doesn't seem like you'd need to rush to get it.

Ernie wrote:

Last edited by firemunkee (Jun-10-20 1:45PM)

#12 Jun-10-20 5:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

JC- always on the lookout for Blanton's, McKenna, EHT etc. Good on Angels Envy, still sealed. I only drink bourbon occasionally (maybe 2x/week) but like to have them in stock. Most of my bottles last a few years...unless my sons come over and raid my stash!

And yes, a stogie and a bourbon on the deck? Name the day!

#13 Jun-11-20 6:39AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Bottle contents are gone. Bottle is next the others I save.

Thanks again it was spectacular.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#14 Jun-11-20 6:46AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/blan … ntucky+usa

#15 Jun-11-20 10:33AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

Ernie wrote:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/blan … ntucky+usa

Ouch, $150 is the cheapest there. Not worth more than $80 IMO. One of the pros of a liquor controlled county, everything is MSRP if you can find it.

#16 Jun-11-20 2:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

I was a day late when I stopped at and ABC store in Zion Crossroads today. They got 12 bottles yesterday...and they had some  other great inventory, just not what I wanted. They had 6-7 bottles of Eagle Rare for $30. That's 1/2 of Blanton's and pretty good stuff.

$150 for Blanton's is ridiculous!

#17 Jun-16-20 11:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Let me know what you guys are looking for.  The coast guard exchange in centreville has some good stuff and great prices.  Grabbed a case of Titos as an example 1.75 for $19 each bottle.....during xmas.

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Jun-16-20 11:53AM)

#18 Jun-16-20 3:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

With JC's system, I was able to grab a few goodies today...

#19 Jun-16-20 6:53PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

With JC's system, I was able to grab a few goodies today...

Glad you were able to score today! Looks like we need a separate thread for whisky lol

Last edited by firemunkee (Jun-16-20 6:53PM)

Board footer