Administrator

MD and VA Stay at Home orders...

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Mar-30-20 10:44AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: MD and VA Stay at Home orders...

Been doing it for almost three weeks now.

So it brings to question my trips for April. As I see it I have no choice but to reschedule April trips for next year.

Could use some input on this as I will need to make a decision by Wed. for this weekend. And continue make a decision weekly.

Will not play the old "just friends out fishing" with paid charters. Just not me, you know.

Feel free to say what your thoughts are.

Thanks
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Mar-30-20 11:12AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Seems to me IHC is a non essential business and should be closed till further notice. Probably even qualify for federal relief. Customers should understand and be willing to reschedule. You picked a good time to retire.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#4 Mar-30-20 12:24PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Except the tanking 401k it was a good time. Also most likely never need to see the office again. Got all my personal stuff out three weeks ago.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Capt Mike

#5 Mar-30-20 12:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

I just put my boat away...sad.But I understand the need to get this curve to flatten out.

If allowed, I will use my new balance skills to do some shore fishing. And combine it with hiking (exercise...that's th key word). Kill 2 birds with one stone.

I need to start throwing my new blue gill and bass flies, that I made.

#6 Mar-30-20 12:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

Governor of Virginia Issues Statewide Stay at Home Order

The order directs all Virginians to stay home except in extremely limited circumstances. Individuals may leave their residence for allowable travel, including to seek medical attention, work, care for family or household members, obtain goods and services like groceries, prescriptions, and others as outlined in Executive Order Fifty-Three, and engage in outdoor activity with strict social distancing requirements.

Governor of Virginia Issues Statewide Stay at Home Order

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsr … Hrjy5HUrio

#7 Mar-30-20 7:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Capt. Mike- After further thinking, you should call DNR. If your April trips are crappie and cats, it could be considered subsistence fishing. Commercial guys can fish.

Here is something I got from the White's Ferry FB page:

DNR just issued a clarification that is quite helpful, especially as it pertains to boating and fishing.

Unfortunately recreational boating is not permitted. Recreational fishing for sustenance is permitted. Commercial fishing is deemed essential.

One paragraph of the statement from DNR, I do highly recommend reading the entire article provided.

“ Under the executive order, no Marylander should leave their home except for an essential reason. Therefore, recreational boating is not allowed. Limited hunting and limited recreational fishing and crabbing can continue to provide sustenance, however social distancing must be adhered to strictly. No permits for fishing tournaments, including virtual tournaments, will be issued by the department until further notice. Commercial fishing is deemed essential and may continue since it is part of the food supply chain. “

I think the key for you is Social Distancing.

I guess I can still fish the UP for food...not catching them can't be helped.

#8 Mar-31-20 6:43AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

And then comes the essential business clause. Charter boats are non-essential and can get fines up to 5k and a year in jail.

I do not know. Better to stay safe. However the number of reported cases was down 90 from the day before. There is hope and light at the end of this long tunnel. Maybe the downward trend will continue.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronaviru … story.html

Capt Mike

#9 Mar-31-20 6:44AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/03/3 … ome-order/

"Under the executive order, no Marylander should leave their home except for an essential reason. Therefore, recreational boating is not allowed. Subsistence hunting and fishing — limited hunting and limited recreational fishing and crabbing for sustenance — can continue, however social distancing must be adhered to strictly. No permits for fishing tournaments, including virtual tournaments, will be issued by the department until further notice. Commercial fishing is deemed essential and may continue since it is part of the food supply chain."

The way I interpret that is I cannot take my boat out for any reason, but I can bank fish for sustenance.

#10 Mar-31-20 7:44AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

This sucks since I have several trips scheduled with Mike.  BUT, I totally get it and do not want anyone to put a health, professional, license, ethical, or integrity risk.  I consider Mike a friend also....so the truth is I was more looking forward to the chat, cigar and lunch! lol.  These are different times, so we all understand the situation.  And, just as an observer....IMHO, this is not likely to change for months.

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Mar-31-20 7:44AM)

#11 Mar-31-20 7:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

so the truth is I was more looking forward to the chat, cigar and lunch!

You are not alone on this!

#12 Mar-31-20 8:21AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

So per the interpretative DNR guidance, commercial fishing is an essential activity and permitted.

Are charter boats considered commercial? I really couldn't find much other than:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2 … ion-4-701/

§4-701.

(a) This section applies to any person who is required under Subtitle 2, 7, 8, 9, or 10 of this title to be licensed to guide fishing parties or to catch, sell, buy, process, transport, export, or otherwise deal in fish caught in tidal waters.

(b) (1) The Department shall utilize a single, commercial license, to be known and designated as a tidal fish license.

(2) A tidal fish license authorizes a licensee:

(i) To engage in each activity indicated on the license; and

Also the MD commercial fishing license application has a section for fishing guides:

https://dnr.maryland.gov/Documents/DNR_ … ishing.pdf

Last edited by Junger (Mar-31-20 8:28AM)

#13 Mar-31-20 8:34AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

On one hand DNR leans toward it being OK to take charters and the State says it is not an essential business. Either way it is not worth the jail and fine.

Also I read an article in the Atlantic that really hits the pandemic nail on the head.

There are two types of people in this pandemic. Group A the doctors and health care givers. Group B everyone else.
It is Group A's job to take care of those who get sick. It is Group B's job to stay home. Giving Group A a fighting chance..

Really straight forward.

Capt Mike

#14 Mar-31-20 8:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

There are two types of people in this pandemic. Group A the doctors and health care givers. Group B everyone else.
It is Group A's job to take care of those who get sick. It is Group B's job to stay home. Giving Group A a fighting chance..

Really straight forward.

Capt Mike

TRUTH!!  My family members are in NOVA and DC at the hospitals working hard and my niece who is an ER nurse wasn't provided an N95 mask on her last shift, but when she went to the market over the weekend.....there were people wearing them!  Everyone who hoarded masks and gloves needs to give them to the hospitals and front line emergency workers and keep their asses home!

#15 Mar-31-20 11:59AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Seems like there has been lots of confusion and MD DNR put out a FAQ: https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/03/3 … ome-order/

I'll do my part and stay home, except to get my kids out to exercise by hiking/biking and keeping social distances. My wife has a plug in vehicle so we won't have to go to the gas station too. Be safe everyone!

#16 Apr-02-20 1:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

from the Virginia Marine Resources Commission...

**Important Information Regarding Charter/Party Boats**

Charter boat and party boat operations are hereby declared non-essential businesses.

This decision has been made based on the directives contained in the Governor's Executive orders pertaining to social distancing and limitations of the number of people that may be onboard. In addition, a person undertaking a charter or party trip is making a discretionary decision that unnecessarily exposes the customer and the employees to the potential of contamination.

Therefore, charter and party boat operations are prohibited until the Executive Orders expire on June 10, 2020.

#17 Apr-02-20 2:09PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Different strokes for different folks (States)
This is copied from a MD DNR question/answer page.

Can charter boats work next month since they technically fall under the recreational quota from a fisheries standpoint?

As part of the food supply chain, charter boats can continue operating but must abide by social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on gatherings of more than 10 people. Charter boats and head boats should NOT have more than 10 individuals on the vessel at any time.

Think I'll pass....

Here's the link to DNR's interpretation.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/03/3 … ome-order/

Last edited by Osprey (Apr-02-20 2:11PM)

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#18 Apr-02-20 5:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

Gravelly Point is now closed!

Columbia Island Marina ramp is still open. The fee is 410...$5 to launch and $5 to take out. Shorter run to Fletcher's.

#19 Apr-02-20 5:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

COVID-19 Update (as of April 2, 2020)

Outdoor areas of the George Washington Memorial Parkway including Great Falls Park, Theodore Roosevelt Island and Fort Hunt Park are accessible to the public. These areas include trails, picnic areas, overlooks and greenspaces.

Starting on April 2, 2020, in effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 and encourage social distancing, the National Park Service will close parking areas along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. These parking areas include: Riverside Park, Collingwood Picnic Area parking lot, Fort Hunt Park, Belle Haven Picnic Area parking lot, Jones Point Park, Gravelly Point, Theodore Roosevelt Island, Fort Marcy and Turkey Run Park.

We are closely monitoring COVID-19 with federal, state, and local authorities. Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia have all issued orders for their residents to stay-at-home. These declarations allow for essential businesses to operate and allow residents to get outdoors for exercise, such as walking, hiking, running, or biking.

Locally—trails, picnic areas, and green space are accessible. Services, including restrooms, porta-johns and parking lots, are not available. If you live close enough to walk or ride a bike, you may access the trails, but currently all park gates are closed, and vehicular access is not permitted. There is not sufficient parking outside of locked gates along the parkway for visitors to arrive by car and park outside.

Hiking trails are open at Great Falls Park but following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health officials, Great Falls Park Visitor Center is temporarily closed, and fee operations have been suspended. The parking lot at Great Falls Park will open later and have limited capacity on Saturdays and Sundays to encourage park visitors to follow CDC guidance to help slow the spread of coronavirus. Clara Barton NHS is also temporarily closed.

Signs will be posted at affected locations. Park visitors are asked to adhere to all closure notices and current social distancing recommendations.

#20 Apr-03-20 9:29AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

C Services, including restrooms, porta-johns .. are not available.

I've been working on social distancing myself from there facilities because there's other options

#21 Apr-03-20 11:34AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

The POR ramp is still open.

#22 Apr-03-20 1:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

T. wrote:

The POR ramp is still open.

Yep...used it a couple of times recently. Hard to find the fishes there.

#23 Apr-04-20 6:31AM

Ernie
Administrator

Fletcher’s Cove parking is no longer accessible as of this morning

#24 Apr-11-20 1:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

Fishing During the COVID-19 Outbreak (VGDIF)

- If you choose to fish during the pandemic it is essential that you follow CDC guidelines.
- Purchase your fishing license online instead of in-person.
- Fish alone or with family members or others that you live with and are isolating with during the Governor’s “stay at home” order.
- Do not fish if you feel sick or think you might be sick.
- Stay at home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or using alcohol-based sanitizer even while afield or afloat.
- Do not share equipment with anyone, and wash your equipment when you’re done.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from other anglers you encounter and try to avoid crowded access points.
- Do not float in a raft, drift boat, john boat, or canoe with friends that you are not isolated with during the “stay at home” order.  If you choose to float please do so with individuals that you live with and are isolated with.
- Try to fish near home as much as possible and avoid traveling long distances.

#25 Apr-11-20 4:51PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice to know.  Thanks!  DC section still ok?

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer