Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-28-08 1:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

11-28-08, Potomac River fishing report

The original plan called for Carl, Mo, Mo's dad and me to go down to "the land" and see if we could catch another one of these monster bass that Carl was raising. We were also to drain the little pond which is where the big 25 incher originally came from. But I got a call last night and Carl indicated that Mo and his dad wanted to go fishing in the Washington Channel (WC). I told him that it was most likely that the stripers  would not be there but they insisted.

we met at Gravley Point at 9 AM where we foumd alomost no wind, temps in teh 43 degree range and a high tide.

Quickly, we motored to the WC and I put out my typical 6 rod spread. I had one umbrella with a curly tail trailing it, a tandem bucktail rig down low (off the back clips) and four different Rebel Jointed Spoonbills.

On our 2nd or 3rd pass, we got a double hit and we manned the rods. When I got to the umbrella rigged rod, nothing was on but Mo was fighting a decent fish....for a few moments anyway. I will spare you the details but I am sure there will be some good editorializing going on about this before too long.

Mo was not too disappointed and he kept a positive attitude!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1238.jpg

Onward we went....and we went.....and we went....all the way up to the case of the Tidal Basin.  We marked several areas of bait (the cormorants were working it) and we marked many fish on the bottom but we could not get anything to bite. It looked like we were headed for a 2nd consecutive WC skunk.....I was not happy about that. A few minutes later, the small rod goes off and Mo takes it and I see a teeny catfish being reeled in...until her get s off....again!

At 1 PM, I told the crew that we would make one last pass out of the WC....since we were getting a little chilly.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1241.jpg

.....in the past, we have picked off something as we headed out.

And sure enough, one of the long rods (Rebel) goes off and Mo grabs it. He was coached the entire time to make sure he kept pressure on the fish. After a few minutes he landed this nice 2.6 lb largemouth bass.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1240.jpg

Finally...the skunk is off. We continued on the last troll but did not get anything else.

I was going to bring the bass back to Cedar Lake but Mo's dad said he would like to eat it. So...dinner for tonight is taken care of.

This was a great crew made up of new friends and an old, old friend (Carl) whom I started fishing with back in 1982.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1242.jpg

Nice day to be out but glad to be back inside!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Nov-28-08 1:44PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 11-28-08, Potomac River fishing report

Sad to see the bite in the WC go but seems like you guys still had a great time!

#3 Nov-28-08 2:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Sad to see the bite in the WC go but seems like you guys still had a great time!

Always a good time.... cool

We caught fish in the WC in December last year and in '06. Who knows, if we get a warming trend, maybe they will return. It's a long way to the bay so I think these guys are close by. We need to start venturing out a little and look at other spots.

#4 Nov-29-08 11:59AM

doberdog1

It was a great day, after all I was fishing with two masters of fishing (Carl and Ernie). It is amazing how much these guys know about fishing.  They're like fishing encyclopedias.  I still think the first fish was a liquor bottle that was left in the WC, we sure did see lots of those.  I told Ernie that if the bass would of gotten away I would have dived after it.  The entire day, the guys wouldn't let my first miss catch get passed me, I think Carl said he thought the fish was a 39 inch rock fish, it started as a small rock fish.  I can't wait to hear Carl's side of our trip.  Thank you so much once again Ernie it was a pleasure trip, and lots of fun.

#5 Nov-29-08 12:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

Mo- you and your dad are always welcome on my boat!

Although I have fished most of my life, it was fishing with Carl who took the passion to the next level. It was funny to hear us both say the same things about landing a fish!

#6 Nov-30-08 2:55AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

After fifty+ years of fishing and taking people fishing, my greatest pleasure is helping a new recruit with the fundamentals. Twenty-five years ago that recruit was Ernie; today it's Mo. When I see the excitement I really enjoy their enthusiasm; but along with the successful days there will be days when you only hope to get the skunk out of the boat.

Yesterday was the one of those days. Perhaps I started Mo out wrong by taking him white perch fishing in the summer with grubs. That kind of fast action is not the way it usually is with other species. I hope to get him excited about catfish, crappie, yellow perch and even carp; all of which I pursue. If all goes well I can show him and his dad how to bottom bounce for perch this time of year when they are not in the shallows waiting for a grub. It is great fishing with Ernie because he is now the teacher and I am the student. I thought I had accumulated some tackle, but by Ernie's standards, I'm a beginner!

#7 Nov-30-08 3:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

It looks like Mo's teacher spared him from any comments on the lost fish....err....bottle!  roll

Board footer