Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-22-19 6:29PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Savage River- 9/22

The water levels and flows have been way down on the streams I’ve been fishing so I tried a new river for me this morning. I ventured out to Western Maryland and hit the Savage River. The Savage is known to be one of the finest wild brown and brook trout streams in our area. It’s supposed to have some deeper pools and pockets so I thought I’d give it a try. In addition, it was my first trip out with my new Echo Shadow X, 10.5 ft 3 weight that I bought for tight line nymphing.

The stream is pretty small so I immediately went to plan B when I found someone fishing already in the spot I had picked out. My second choice was free and it was a pretty stretch of water.

https://i.imgur.com/ymdRJ0i.jpg

Some stone art right at the riffle I chose to fish.

https://i.imgur.com/Cc7yZnM.jpg

It took me all of 2 minutes to break in my new rod when I hooked up with a feisty 15” brown that turned out to be my biggest of the day.

https://i.imgur.com/U9jEFuA.jpg

Within minutes of releasing that one I picked up another in the same pocket.

https://i.imgur.com/CXftmTR.jpg

I fished for about 4 hours and managed to pick away and land 6 fish. This was the smallest one, so I have to say that the quality of the fish was good. I was hoping to catch a brook trout but didn’t see one today.

https://i.imgur.com/HIgvTMV.jpg

I stopped at the local fly shop when I was done. It’s a great little store in the middle of nowhere, right at the stream. I had a nice chat with the guy there and he assured me that I did well for the low and slow conditions. As I was getting ready to head home I stopped by the lot again to have a look at the stream from the suspension walkway. There was a nice “spinner fall” going on but only saw one fish rise there. As I was driving out I crossed a bridge and stopped to have a look. I saw several fish rising so i threw in the waders again and fished dry flys for a bit. I had one take but missed him and had a couple of refusals. The clear slow water made it tough to get close.

All in all a great day on the water. The only negative for me today was that I fed the trees pretty well. Turns out they like nymphs too. yikes

#2 Sep-23-19 6:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Savage River- 9/22

Nice...that's a long way from home. I have fished the North Branch of the 'mac which is where the Savage dumps in to.

Beautiful country up there.

Time to use the slingshot (to avoid feeding trees).

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-23-19 6:25AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report and beautiful fish!

tight lines

#4 Sep-23-19 7:18AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great job finding some nice ones.  Beautiful place.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#5 Sep-23-19 7:41AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Gorgeous!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#6 Sep-23-19 8:42AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

Nice...that's a long way from home. I have fished the North Branch of the 'mac which is where the Savage dumps in to.

Beautiful country up there.

Time to use the slingshot (to avoid feeding trees).

It's not quite that tight. It's one of those things where you get 5 or 6 good "casts" in (they are really short drifts with a simple oval cast to reposition upstream) and then you change an angle or try a couple of more feet of line and you're hung up. Or my favorite, you hang up on the stream bottom so you change the angle of the rod, dislodge the nymph from the bottom and it goes straight into a tree. roll

A lot of this has to do with the balance issue I've had since 2017. When I'm sleep deprived I'm light headed to begin with, so when I'm there I'm hyper focused on safety in the water and fishing each little piece correctly that I lose focus on my surroundings. I just need to learn to slow down and be more aware of what's behind me as well. I do most of the time but need to take a look every time I reposition. The good news is I'm not alone as I've picked other people's flies out of the same trees. lol

It is quite beautiful. I understand that they closed the paper mill thats just below the confluence so the North Branch should be cleaning up even more. Some intriguing spots there that I will explore next year as well.

#7 Sep-23-19 11:03AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Great fishing and pics! That's one of my favorite places to fish.

Board footer