Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-29-19 7:13AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 7/28/19 Long Day & Long Post

I had the day off (from family duties, that is) so I planned to meet up with Drew from the BR forums, I was picking up some rod tubes that I needed to ship some rods. Low tide was at 11AM, and high tide at 5:30PM, so we planned to meet at the dock at 8:30AM. Got there, launched, and I got the last trailer spot in the lot. The tide was rushing out so I decided to try that creek before the Beach. We get there and there are already 2 boats and a kayak there...so we turn around and head toward the bike trail wall. The hydrilla edges were very pronounced so I started to throw a new frog, the Jackall Gavacho (more on this one at the end).  About 30 minutes in, I get one along the rice grass...not the hydrilla edge. A small 1.5lber.

https://i.imgur.com/8zhqll7l.jpg

We pounded the grass edge all the way up to three river junction, but nothing else hit. But we did see about 4 good size bass cruising along the grass drop offs. The water clarify in this section was really clear, I could see the channel bottom in some spots, 4-5 feet visibility. I'm not sure if the bass were just moving because we spooked them, or they were cruising for a meal, probably the former. So we knew there were fish here and in hindsight, we probably should have gone more finesse and thrown a senko. We got to the false channel and went up there, but couldn't get too far because there was hydrilla everywhere, no hits.

It was now about 1:30PM and we decided to take our lunch break. The plan would be to let the water come in a bit, and then hit the pads across from the beach. So we motor back and look for shade, but there wasn't much to be found without going into the hydrilla. But right across from the beach, where the old rock dump road is, there are overhanging trees just enough to block some sun so we tie up there. I proceed to chow down my triple decker PBJ, sun chips and soda while people watching. Drew also had a handful of Cuban Monte's that needed to be smoked, so I obliged. Saw a fleet of kayakers in some fancy ones...those long thin ones, not the rotomolded types and paddles that looked like helicopter blades, very futuristic looking. A couple teens blasting through there on their jon boat on plane. A few stares at boats as they're trying to fish the timber next to us...sorry fellas...first come first serve. When took our break until about 3:30PM, and when I go back into the cooler...I realized we had managed to polish off 8 Shiner Bocks.

The tide was coming in good now, and we decided to try the pads. Problem was, even with high tide, the hydrilla was so thick there was maybe 3-4" of water all through the pads where we could see, and even then the pads were in bad shape, very shriveled up and not really giving any cover. I just didn't see how a fish could want to be in the pads in that skinny of water under the sparse pad cover. They were probably under the hydrilla, but we couldn't get to them. I texted the Captains and asked for advice...Dave responds that we need to pole in there and look for grass openings...I respond that maybe we'll just smoke cigars until Golden Hour....rather than do that.

So we get out of the pads and decided to try going back up the creek before the Beach. Threw paddletails, frogs, poppers, craws...nothing. We even decided to take the little offshoot on the left and took it WAY back there with the high tide. It was fun being way back there, almost like another world because the rice grass was so high you can't see a thing on the horizon. We move out of that creek and decide to try another set of pads one more time now that the tide should have peaked. Same deal, choked with hydrilla and pads did not look good.

It's now about 6PM, and we haven't gotten a bite since my first one of the day. Time to try something different other than hydrilla and pads. So we go back towards the bike wall, and try the shaded area under those over hanging trees and rocky shoreline. This stretch is always muddy, and I never seem to do well. We decide to practice our skipping, so I break out my frog and we play HORSE with skipping into targets like this. (I got it in there on the first try big_smile)

https://i.imgur.com/oO8aZVgl.jpg

I actually had one blow up back there on top of timber, but it was something small and never took the frog down. Drew had waived the white flag, and tied on a senko. He also got a bite and when he set the hook, it had actually bent out. Ok, maybe a pattern...shaded timber, but nothing more after that stretch.

We set up for our final hurrah, and plan to fish along the pad edge along the Ponds, back toward three river junction, then come back on the timber side, then fish the grass side past the wall. As golden hour approached we were along the timer edge and it finally happened. A good size largie on the popper.

https://i.imgur.com/qzOHUMZl.jpg

Drew had stuck with the senko, and then he scores two.

https://i.imgur.com/ATNmSvhl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NFecTp0l.jpg

We beat up that shoreline and then hit the grass edge past the wall, and I scored one more dink on the popper, and a few bluegill blow ups and then we went home.

Not the greatest day fishing, but I learned a lot from it.

The frog I used was a Jackall Gavacho popping frog. I'm really liking this frog. Even though it has a cupped face, it walks amazing. The hooks are also designed very well, they point just a bit upward/outward, but the body is molded in such a way that they shield the hooks too. From the internet:

https://i.imgur.com/GrRT2SAl.jpg

Last edited by Junger (Jul-29-19 10:45AM)

#2 Jul-29-19 8:08AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Mattawoman 7/28/19 Long Day & Long Post

That's a long day!  Glad you got a few.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jul-29-19 8:34AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice to see the old fishing machine doing its job!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Jul-29-19 9:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

I need a nap now.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jul-29-19 9:24AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I enjoyed the report. Great stuff.

tight lines

#6 Jul-29-19 9:40AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

Nice to see the old fishing machine doing its job!

It's doing well, I replaced the fuel lines over the winter and I think one of them is leaking somewhere...either that or I'm fishing way too often. Those red cans hold what, 4 gallons? I went through a whole tank in about three fishing trips, engine run time of maybe 3 hours...doesn't seem right. Both trailer tail lights went out this year, fixed for $8 each and some wire couplings, but they're nice and bright.

One of the wheel fender covers fell off somewhere on the road...Might replace it down the road along with the bunks, but I think that'll be a late fall/winter job.

The guy, Drew said he has dibs on the Bomber when I decide to upgrade, he loves it too. I do think I'll have to get a bigger boat soon though, since the kids are getting bigger and I want to start getting my wife involved in our fishing trips.

Last edited by Junger (Jul-29-19 9:42AM)

#7 Jul-29-19 9:48AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

So I get this text and I guess I did not recognize the number and I was at the Valor Game with a cold Stella in hand. Email Dave today and ask who texted us and he said no one did. Sometimes Dave is too busy at work to give coherent responses. So here is the answer to your text for all to see.

Yes you have to pole back along the back pad edges and fish the pickerel grass areas. Those areas always hold a foot extra of water and the hydrilla is not choked around them. Another option is where the pads still have water on them at low tide going high. Often the hydrilla is less in these areas.
Flipping pads with water in them mid-day can be very effective too. Big broom stick rod and 50lb braid with a pegged 3/4 oz creature or bush hog. This would be what I would do if was not guiding. However two years ago I did this with Dave Gedra and scored some big bass. But that was the only time flipping and guiding was mixed.

Good report and yes a nap is order.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#8 Jul-29-19 10:49AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the info, I'll use it next time. I was not prepared for the amount of hydrilla and dying pads...just 4 weeks ago on our trip it was so different. Also, I should have took the hint on the first frog fish that was caught off the grass. I think if we poled back to the grass edges, we could have gotten lots more, or found shaded timber. I know there's some shaded timber up the false creek, but we couldn't get there.

Board footer