Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-15-19 7:19AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

July 12th Report

The evening started a bit late due to traffic delays and Alex had a meeting to attend. It was hot and I replaced the bunks on my trailer while I waited. Earlier that morning I crawled in my attic and replaced a fan that stopped working. So I was about a quart low on fluids by the time he arrived. Powered down some water and gatoraid to get me back on track. The creek was muddy from the big rain event. So we looked for clean water and found it way back in the pads but by then the tide was almost out. A few follows and one missed hit for the first several hours. Needed to do something different. Pulled out the poppers and hit some way back waters. Started picking up LGMouth and by the time it was dark we had about a dozen landed. Thanks Alex for letting me fish.

https://indianheadcharters.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/7-12-19.jpg
https://indianheadcharters.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/7-12-19-1.jpg

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Jul-15-19 7:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: July 12th Report

Sounds like you have a good day...bet you slept well!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-15-19 8:39AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Home at 10:30 PM and an ice cold Martini helped with the aches and pains of the long day. Watched a great movie called Bad times at El Royal.

In bed at 1am and back up at 6am to cut grass.

Capt Mike

#4 Jul-15-19 8:50AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Great looking cloud cover! I needed that Saturday...I was drying up like a slug out there, but as you know...my dad was in jeans and a flanel shirt and wasn't even beading sweat.

Do you prepare the bunks beforehand, i.e. carpet them, get supporting hardware etc? I'm thinking of replacing the bunks on the trailer, and thinking of using the PVC board stuff (Ultimate Bunk Boards is one brand) instead of carpetted wood.

#5 Jul-15-19 9:34AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Yes prepped the boards with carpet and installed one set of mounts. Measured the exact distance once old one came off and mounted second bracket. The PVC will last just as long as the non-treated wood ones. Do not use treated wood as it will attack all the lag bolts and any hardware used in the process. Also it will eat the staples used to hold down the carpet. I have seen many of the PVC boards break on cold days BTW.

Every bolt will fight you to the end so be prepared. In other words have a grinder ready to cut bolts and have replacements for them. Leaving your boat tied up for a day or two at a ramp is a bad idea.

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Jul-15-19 9:36AM)

#6 Jul-15-19 4:15PM

dave
Northern Snakehead

My half of the double boat trip had the exact same luck for most of the evening (they did get the toad bit twice and missed)  then,  golden hour came.  Back in the creek the edges were sort of there but,  no love.  One of my guys had already put his rod down and was beat from the heat.  The other,  just not that into it.  Did I mention the pile of crushed Bud Light cans on my boat?  We managed a nice eater blue on my favorite spinnerbait.  The first question was "will Mike clean this for us?"  They wanted to eat it,  just didn't want to clean it.  I like this yearly IHC crew.  Chris calls them the knuckle head crew.

Board footer