Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-20-19 6:57AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 5/19/19

My dad called me and wanted to go fishing yesterday, but I had kid's make-up soccer games in the AM, so I'd only be able to get out in the PM and of course last night was the GoT finale...but I relented and took him out. We got to the ramp at 4PM, and lines were in by 4:30PM. The tide was ripping in, so my plan was to hit the shore-line with the timber until there was enough water to go into the pads. Water was 79 in the main creek, and 77 in the upper creek, not muddy but still stained.

I started out with a BLADED JIG, and got a LMB on the third cast. It came off at the boat...that's like the third one in a row I lost at the boat with the same lure, hooks were sharp...bad mojo on that lure? The wind was a steady 6-10mph, with gusts around 15mph at that time. After losing that fish, I switched to my new favorite topwater...the Jackall Pompadour Jr. The action is just too cute to not fish it...I come across an isolated spatterdock patch along the timber and walk the Pompadour through it, and it immediately gets smacked. Huge LMB....I had it at the boat and thought about lipping it, but the trebles made me think otherwise and I went to get my lip grippers and she did a massive jump and came off. I think that would have been my new personal best, guestimate of 6lb+ based on the size of her head. I was frustrated for a moment, but then was just happy to get a topwater bite. I stuck with the Pompadour, and got another one soon thereafter. A good sized spawned out female.
https://i.imgur.com/t4jv9PPt.jpg

Around 6:30PM, the water was up and the tide was really ripping in, so I headed to the pads saw some snakehead porpoising. I think they are spawning, which I think means lockjaw for them.  Lots of activity in the pads, and I hope that means it will be a good sign for SH fishing later on. My dad was pitching a plastic swimbait into the pads. He had one huge hit, but this is where his 6'6 moderate spinning rod didn't help him out, as he didn't get the hookset. I threw a toad, and the Pompadour, but the winds really picked up to a steady 15+mph, and so we called it at 7:45PM and headed back to the ramp.

Saw this one the way back in. It's hard to make out from the picture, but is that a turtle trap? Motored by it and it really smelled bad.
https://i.imgur.com/oYJHJtit.jpg

#2 May-20-19 8:08AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Mattawoman 5/19/19

Sounds like a good evening.  Tough going on the lost fish, but I bet that Pompadour bite was awesome.  Sounds like a spinnerbait might have been an option in the wind.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 May-20-19 12:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Mattawoman 5/19/19

Trebles? What's that?

Nice outing!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer