Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Fishing Journal - My quest to become a better all around angler

Great job!  Nice fish!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#27 May-03-18 7:15AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Who's to say you can't own Curly's boat & a kayak?

#28 May-03-18 7:24AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

Who's to say you can't own Curly's boat & a kayak?

A kayak plan is in the works...I bought an electric mower, and plan to cut my own lawn this summer. How is my wife going to say no to me buying a kayak after I saved all the money by mowing our lawn! big_smile

#29 Jan-02-19 10:50AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Junger wrote:

My goals for 2018:

- Take the kids fishing on a jon boat more often, I have Little Seneca Lake and Clopper Lake pretty close to me to rent jon boats. I asked my wife to get me a trolling motor and batter for X-mas.
- buy a fishing kayak to get out on different bodies of water, other than my local ponds. I have my eyes on the Old Town Predator PDL.
- Catch a new personal best large mouth and snakehead.
- Learn how to cast right, reel left on my spinning rods. I currently cast left, reel right, just like I do for my baitcasters, but flipping the bail is all the way on the other side of the rod and it's a little inefficient. I can cast right, and actually prefer to cast right with finesse techniques, but I can't reel with my left hand well. Plus whenever I use Mike and Dave's rods, I have to change the reels...which probably annoys their next customer to use that rod!

Looking back at 2018, I think I had a very successful fishing year and accomplished all the goals I had set, and then some. Thanks to Curly for the opportunity to purchase the OG Fishing Machine, Capt Mike & Dave for putting me on the fish and of course teaching me new things every time on the water, Ernie for the fun fishing tournaments which my kids love going to, and for everyone else on the forums - I enjoy reading your posts.

Goals for 2019:
- Have each of my sons catch a 2lb LMB, right now their PB's are little dinks that they can catch in the pond just off the bank
- Catch a LMB more than 5lbs
- Catch a NSH more than 10lbs
- Use my electronics more to help catch fish

#30 Jan-02-19 10:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

The other day, I told Bob that my only goal was to have less rain. His answer was, "good luck with that one!".

A lot of folks don't post anymore for a variety of reasons. I know that some fish less or not at all. Plus there are so many other ways....

For me, I like to learn something new each time I go out.....plus to enjoy myself.

Time to go fishin' again!

#31 Jan-02-19 11:06AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

That's awesome that you accomplished all your goals! Here's to an even better 2019!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#32 Jan-02-19 1:52PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

My goal for 2019 is to fish the UP with Ernie when the river is @ 12', the current @ 15 mph and the air temp is below 35 deg. The ball is in your court, E.

BTW.... I might be sick that day.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#33 Jan-02-19 2:00PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Osprey wrote:

My goal for 2019 is to fish the UP with Ernie when the river is @ 12', the current @ 15 mph and the air temp is below 35 deg. The ball is in your court, E.

Ha!

Speaking of the UP, that will be on my bucket list of places to learn one day...I'm just kind of scared to take a glass boat around there after hearing of horror stories.

Maybe a 2020 goal will be to get a new boat big enough for me, the wife, and 2 boys...

#34 Jan-02-19 2:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

And I'll be a NO SHOW!

Junger wrote:

Speaking of the UP, that will be on my bucket list of places to learn one day...I'm just kind of scared to take a glass boat around there after hearing of horror stories.

You can easily do that when the river is 3' (POR) or more....we have not seen 3' in a very long while.

#35 Jan-03-19 8:15AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

For 2019 I plan to post more reports. That is my only real goal for 2019. I am planning a trip to Caddo Lake LA in 2020 or 2021 and a trip across America for one month also in 2020. But for 2019 I just want to take people fishing and have fun..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#36 Jan-04-19 9:09AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger wrote:

Speaking of the UP, that will be on my bucket list of places to learn one day...I'm just kind of scared to take a glass boat around there after hearing of horror stories

I fish the Upper Potomac from jon, canoe, or kayak and would not recommend taking a glass boat

You can get away with itin some of the deeper areas but you better know what you're doing

Or you can buy a jet ...

#37 Jan-04-19 2:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly took that boat out on the UP many times (out of Algonkian)....just have to be careful. You can certainly do it out of Seneca or even Edwards but the flows have to be up. If less than 3'...stay home!

During higher water events, we've seen gliter type bass boats, Carolina Skiff, hot rods...you name it.

But speed could get you to lose a lower unit as there are a few hidden rocks....

#38 Jan-05-19 5:02AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

If I were you, wait until a steady 4 feet at Little Falls and clear. Putz around west of the ramp in the main channel learning where the rocks and holes are.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#39 Jan-05-19 6:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

To be clear, my "less than 3'" number was referencing the Point of Rocks gauge which is above Seneca/Algonkian. Curly's reference location is down by DC but both numbers work.

#40 Mar-11-19 8:40AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

So I watched some YT videos of people using the Deeper Sonar fish finder for bank fishing and decided to get one to help crack some of these lakes that I bank fish from. I ended up getting the Deeper Pro+ that has GPS so I can map the lake and save the data. I used it for the first time yesterday at Lake Needwood and found some surprises. I found some deeper holes where I did not expect them, and found some fish, but I think they were either catfish, or carp, sitting out way out near the main channel in 20 FOW. I'm excited to keep using the Deeper when I take my kids out bank/dock fishing. It will help locate the fisher quicker, and I'll let them monitor the fish finder like a video game.

https://i.imgur.com/X79Ogi4.png?1

#41 Mar-11-19 1:43PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Woah that is awesome! Maybe I should get one of those. I know there are several similar products out there. Was that one the best reviewed?

Last edited by firemunkee (Mar-11-19 1:44PM)

#42 Mar-11-19 2:24PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

I think overall, the Deeper brand is the best and I think the only one that has a GPS version. I chose the Pro+ because of the GPS and mapping ability. You can connect to the unit by bluetooth, or WiFi, and then the data is stored to your phone. Then you can upload it to their cloud and you can review the detail on a PC, and even share it with others.

https://maps.deepersonar.com/#share-73f … 9a0c092679

#43 Mar-13-19 4:53AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Cool, thanks for your feedback. I think my buddy tried one of their earlier renditions when we rented a jon boat to go fishing. He had trouble keeping a connection even though it was right next to the boat. It was bluetooth only. I wonder if the metal boat had something to do with it. Sadly we didn't get to use it at all and he returned. The one you have though seems great! I am adding it to my wish list smile

#44 Jan-02-20 6:35AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Junger wrote:

Goals for 2019:
- Have each of my sons catch a 2lb LMB, right now their PB's are little dinks that they can catch in the pond just off the bank
- Catch a LMB more than 5lbs
- Catch a NSH more than 10lbs
- Use my electronics more to help catch fish

Another year of fishing in the books. I didn't accomplish the goals for 2019, but I was close on a couple of them. But I was able to take my dad out fishing almost every other weekend from April to August, a lot more than 2018, so that was an unexpected win for me. My youngest son almost landed a good size LMB, it was fishing a 1" gulp minnow on 2lb test along the grass edge at Mattawoman and his bobber went straight down and he fought something big, but it broke the line. He got a good 8" sunfish by the logs near the bike trail wall that day too, so now I know where the big ones are hiding and I'll bring them back there for some panfish fun. My wife seems to be more on board with my addiction, I mean commitment to fishing. I even talked to her about getting a larger boat so that we could all go out fishing or just cruising around the lake. She didn't say no! But first comes renovating our bathrooms, so I may be into a new boat in 2021 or earlier if I come across the right deal.

#45 Jan-02-20 6:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

There is always a deal out there....just make the offer that they can't refuse (usually assisted by a wad of cash).

#46 Jan-02-20 8:26AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

There is always a deal out there....just make the offer that they can't refuse (usually assisted by a wad of cash).

I think the boat I want is the Lund Pro-V Bass 1875XS, hard to get a deal on one of those.

#47 Jan-02-20 9:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

I think the boat I want is the Lund Pro-V Bass 1875XS, hard to get a deal on one of those.

Great boat...that's why I went with the Targa 17 with my previous boat. I enjoyed that boat...not quite a Lund but kinda close enough.

Board footer