Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-25-18 1:45PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ocean City 9/22

I am proud to write this report about my first fishing outing this year, and in almost a year (last report was from 9/27/2017 lol). I was in Ocean City this weekend and I was determined to get some fishing in. I haven't fished OC very much and the few times I did I had no idea what I was doing. I wanted to make the most out of the little fishing I knew I could get in on this trip. I ended up bringing my hardly used salt water Penn Battle combo, M fast rod with size 2000 reel. I wanted to try out Gulp Swimming Mullets a try so I stopped by Walmart to get some and some jigs. They only had 1/2oz and 1.5oz in stock so I just went with a 1/2oz since I didn't know if my rod could go 1.5oz. Fortunately I found in my tacklebox some 3/4oz bucktails so I used those instead.

I was able to get out Sat night after everyone was in bed. First stop was the bulkhead. When I got there there were only 2 people fishing. I only stayed for about 30 minutes and by the time I left there was no one. I knew I couldn't keep bottom so I just tried jigging around. I only caught this ugly toad fish before making my way to the next spot.
https://i.imgur.com/RJKOR0o_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Next was the Route 50 bridge. There were a number of people fishing here. All jigging for stripers! I have never jigged for stripers and I could see that they all had much heavier tackle and jigs than I did. The current is fast so I guess the heavier weight is needed to get down where the fishies are. I gave it a shot with what I had. The guy next to me was pulling up decent sized throwback stripers every 5-10 minutes. I watched what he was doing and tried to mimic. I'm not sure if I knew what I was doing but soon after I got a bite, and it was pulling drag! Okay so my drag was set a bit light and I was also fighting current, but still! It was definitely pulling like a striper. I got the fish to the surface but no way I could pull it up with the tackle I had. Someone kindly helped me out with their pier net and thus I landed my first OC fish and jigged stiper!
https://i.imgur.com/13VeeNY_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Shortly after that I hooked up again! This time I foolishly tried to bring up the fish myself and you know how that ends. I was out of heavier jigs so I decided to move on to the inlet to try out that spot just to see what it is like. The water was much more calm and no one was catching anything. I didn't stay long before calling it a night.

The next day I found myself with a small window to fish and take my 2yo daughter with me. Wifey was not feeling good so I was giving her a break ;) I decided to try the Route 90 fishing pier. The scenery was gorgeous here.
https://i.imgur.com/ZHM2LzI_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Great egret/great white heron
https://i.imgur.com/YPF0nql_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

The water was much more calm so I decided to try to fish for flounder. To my surprise, I actually got one early on! lol
https://i.imgur.com/a2Ikfm0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

There were a lot of baby flounder too small to hook and they were chewing off the tail of the gulp. I also wasn't really planning on fishing much but wanted to have my daughter get comfortable with fishing. I showed her how to reel and she ended up loving it! I would hold the rod with her and she would do the reeling. I even taught her to reel slow, and then pause to let the jig fall to the bottom and give an opportunity for fish to bite. She would reel slow saying "slooooooooooow" and then pause and say "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait". Oh my heart! If this were the only fishing I was able to get in the entire weekend it would have well been worth it! She says she wants to go fishing again!
https://i.imgur.com/qweiDmU_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Last edited by firemunkee (Sep-26-18 4:31AM)

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Sep-25-18 2:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Ocean City 9/22

This is a most awesome post in many levels. Glad you fished some...and very glad that your beautiful daughter liked it! I expect to see her at the BRHS tourneys soon.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-25-18 3:13PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

So cool!  You underestimate your abilities.  Great teaching and bonding moment with your daughter!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Sep-25-18 5:01PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome report and pics. Glad you were able to get out and get the little one interested in fishing.

tight lines

#5 Sep-25-18 5:27PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Very cool, it only gets better!

#6 Sep-26-18 7:56PM

Fishfry
Northern Snakehead

Awesome...!!!

#7 Sep-27-18 11:14AM

momusau

Great report bro! Enjoyed reading it

#8 Oct-01-18 5:39PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Great report bro!

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#9 Oct-02-18 4:36AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks everyone! This past weekend I had a small window of time where I could either take my daughter fishing or be responsible and go to Lidl for groceries. I asked her what she wanted to do and she said she wanted to go to Lidl to push the small shopping cart lol Not the answer I was hoping for but it was still adorable! At the end of the day after we finished all our activities I asked if she wants to go fishing in general and she said yes so the seed has definitely been planted big_smile

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer