Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-10-08 10:49AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Lake Anna Cup Tournament

This past Sunday my tournament fishing partner (Tim) and I fished the Lake Anna Cup. We launched out of Sturgeon Creek Marina with more than 70 boats filled with extremely talented VA anglers.

We are quite familiar with the Lake and thus felt quite confident about the tournament. We headed down to our normal spots after a quick boat ride. The bite seemed slow, but we saw fish and pressed on. We really felt that the bite would pick up between 9-11 and 1-3 based upon water temperature. Fortunately we were right.

The first fish of the day...

I was slowly dragging a shaky head worm off of an angled bank when I felt the slightest of ticks. To check and see if that tick was a fish, I reeled down. As I reeled, I expected to feel the bottom contours of the lake, but all I got was the lightest feeling of drag and no contours. With that, I reared back and set the hook. The fish pulled hard and ripped line off of my spool. I kept the line tight as I worked it around the back of the boat over the motor. By that time, Tim realized that I had a fish and that he needed to get the net. I was bringing the fish up the side of the boat as it came to the surface and we saw its size. HUGE! I kept my rod down and my line tight as he went for his final attempt to get free. He shook his head two feet from the net..........and won. He spit the hook and swam away. This bass would easily have gone 6+ lbs and appeared to be a citation. This was by far my largest bass, but it was not to be.

Under normal circumstances, one would be demolished by such a close call with such a huge fish. I knew I couldn't be down for the remaining six hours of the tourney so I pressed on. We caught fish all day and ended up with a limit that weighed 6.13lbs. Now here is the kicker, had we landed that large bass and culled our smallest, we would have earned 2nd place.

Life is full of coulda, shoulda, woulda's, but it must go on. We had a blast on a beautiful day with great success landing over a dozen bass.

Winning weight was around 15lbs and 2nd place was just under 11lbs.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 Nov-10-08 1:22PM

rebellionnum54

Re: Lake Anna Cup Tournament

i own lake front property on lake anna in kellys glen ,it is a cove between hunters landing and the state park.
great fishing in my cove.

#3 Nov-10-08 4:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

Very nice Patrick....and of course, you will be back to get that pig!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Nov-11-08 6:10AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

That is why this sport keeps you engaged and searching for those monster bites. I have run that scenario through my had for the last couple of days and I am sure I will for years to come, or at least until I complete the process of bringing that hawg on board!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

Board footer