Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-17-18 6:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Tossing light baits w/ a baitcaster

I use Abu Revos for all of my baitcasting neds. Have for years. I can toss senko's and 1/8" baits with no issues. After reading a thread on another board, I discovered a new sub culture of finesse baitcasting. They call it BFS (Bait Finesse System) which was 1st developed to catch trout with a baitcatser. Why didn't I think of that? I have been throwing light stuff with my baitcaster for years as I prefer that to spinning. But, I used spinning for light stuff because that's what you were supposed to do.

So, the question is, who owns and uses a BFS reel? I am looking at a Daiwa Tatula SV which can be had for less than $200 and as low as $140. The Revo's and Shimanos made for BFS are $250-$400!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Mar-17-18 7:27AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Tossing light baits w/ a baitcaster

I have 2 Tatula SV TW's, got them for $103 each from an authorized dealer (American Legacy Fishing) on Ebay when they have a 20% off coupon which usually happens during around a holiday.

That being said, the lightest thing I've thrown are 1/16 Johnson Mino-Spins on 6lb braid on a 6'6 ML. The reel handled it fine, but I bet I could have thrown it farther on an UL rod.

Check out these two videos:

Daiwa SS Air beaten out by Tatula SV TW and Curado70: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYNEm4I6H8E

7 way BFS shootout where the Daiwa SS Air was last: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJ9Sb7r2UU&t=2078s

So the way I interpret those videos are, the Tatula SV TW and Curado70 are mid-range reels, not specifically designed for finesse casting, but do well enough to hang with the high-end BFS reels.

For $103, I'll buy the Tatula SV TW all day though.

#3 Mar-17-18 7:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

Mid range works for me...this is great info...thanks!

#4 Mar-17-18 11:00AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

If you aren't in any rush, I can let you know the next time Ebay will have that deal again.

I will probably end up getting another one in 6.3:1, I've gotten into mini-chatter and mini-spinner baits from Strike King on a light rod.

#5 Mar-17-18 11:27AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Those mini-chatterbaits are good baits.  Caught my PB (20.75") smallie on one.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Mar-17-18 12:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

If you aren't in any rush, I can let you know the next time Ebay will have that deal again.

No hurry...will wait. Thanks!!

#7 Mar-17-18 12:22PM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

I've gotten into mini-chatter and mini-spinner baits from Strike King on a light rod.

May need to try some of those mini CBs when I white perch fish this summer. But that seems sooooo far away as the snow comes down on this dreary cold day.  sad

#8 Mar-19-18 5:23AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I'll still stick to spinning for the light stuff, it will be safer for me. I don't want to pick out backlashes on 6lb test smile

tight lines

#9 Mar-19-18 5:58PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

While I'm quick to go all in on the next big thing, I never had a pet rock or a mood ring. I was able to mostly avoid fly rods,
even though the topic keeps coming up on this forum. I'll admit I was briefly tempted by this ultra lite casting gear, but the thought of the backlash from trying to cast a feather into a 10 mph breeze is all the convincing I need. i agree with Bryan, and give me a good wind knot anytime.

Bryan wrote:

I'll still stick to spinning for the light stuff, it will be safer for me. I don't want to pick out backlashes on 6lb test smile

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#10 Mar-20-18 9:48AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ebay has a 15% off everything coupon right now.

15% Off Everything!*
Share with friends and family!
Use code PSPRINGTIME.

Search for "Tatula SV TW" and then filter to Buy It Now and list from lowest to highest and you'll see them for $139.xx, 6.3:1, 7.3:1, net price is about $119 shipped.

#11 Mar-20-18 10:46AM

Ernie
Administrator

Done...thanks!

#12 Apr-16-18 6:42AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01J9QADE8/ … &psc=1

Daiwa Tatula 6'9 ML/R rod for $71, it's backordered at the moment. I have one of these for poppers/jerkbaits, but I've thrown in-line spinners with no problems.

Board footer