Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-27-18 6:31AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Baitcasting reel recommendation?

I'm new to the baitcast game but am looking to get a decent/nice setup. Anyone have recommendations on reels and rods that pair well?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

#2 Jan-27-18 7:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Baitcasting reel recommendation?

Ryan- I use Abu Revo's (SX, STX, Inshore, Winch) and love them. Feel free to drop by and get some hands on with them. But what is your primary use going to be?

And like fly casting....practice, practice and more practice.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-27-18 7:35AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks Ernie! Primary use will be freshwater lake, pond, river, fishing for bass.

Do you spool braid or mono/flouro?

Any input helps ..... and yes - i see birdsnests in my future.

#4 Jan-27-18 8:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Mono backlashes less than braid but I would start with braid, 20 lbs is all you need. A medium rod will serve you best.

I do have a nice reel Pfueger President 2LPf (Wounded Heroes Fishing Program) and some other personal items that you might want to look at if you want good used stuff.

#5 Jan-27-18 9:27AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks Ernie - definitely interested.

#6 Jan-27-18 10:07AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

The Daiwa Tatula SV TW is a very forgiving baitcaster.

You can get it on Ebay from an authorized retailer for about $105 ($130 less 20% off), MSRP is $199.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272613189250 or you can find the other speed variants from the same seller.

Use P20SAVENOW at checkout for the 20% off. I picked up the 7.3:1 version.

#7 Jan-27-18 10:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

That’s a fast reel...

#8 Jan-27-18 5:14PM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

I’ve got a high end Daiwa T3 that I’m looking to move if you’re interested.

#9 Jan-27-18 5:17PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I was in New York and a guy asked from a cab how to get to the Metropolitan Opera . I said practice , practice, practice..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#10 Jan-27-18 6:24PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Might help if you can carry a bucket full of tunes

captmikestarrett wrote:

I was in New York and a guy asked from a cab how to get to the Metropolitan Opera . I said practice , practice, practice..

Capt Mike

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#11 Jan-27-18 7:58PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I like the Lew's reels too and they are not too expensive.  I have the Diawa Tatula, but have not used it yet.  Key is to set it up right and then keep practicing.  After a couple years off and on, I am just really getting the hang of them.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#12 Jan-29-18 5:25AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger wrote:

The Daiwa Tatula SV TW is a very forgiving baitcaster.

Those reels are amazing. A friend of mine got a few of them last year and let me try one out. I was casting into the wind with no thumb without backlashing, and still getting good distance. My next baitcaster will definitely be a Tatula.

tight lines

#13 Jan-29-18 6:53AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks fellas - that Daiwa Tatula SV TW sounds great and reviews are consistent. How does warranty work if buying through Ebay at a discount vs Bass Pro? What option (103H/HS/XS) do you recommend for widest range of applications?

Last edited by Houli (Jan-29-18 7:00AM)

#14 Jan-29-18 7:34AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Houli wrote:

Thanks fellas - that Daiwa Tatula SV TW sounds great and reviews are consistent. How does warranty work if buying through Ebay at a discount vs Bass Pro? What option (103H/HS/XS) do you recommend for widest range of applications?

American Legacy Fishing, the Ebay seller I linked, is an authorized Daiwa dealer.  https://dealers.daiwa.com/ then type in Evansville, IN and they come up as the first on the list. So you can get your reel serviced by any authorized Daiwa warranty center, 1 year warranty.
They also have a 30 day guarantee return period.  https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/guarantee

For me, it's easier to slow down than to speed up my reeling between techniques. I find the 7.3:1 best all around for me, since I mostly bank fish and sometimes have to cast out really far to hit some spots, so being able to reel slack down quick and set the hook from far helps a lot, but the 6.3:1 would probably just as good and even better for other techniques.

#15 Jan-30-18 6:18PM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks Junger. Just ordered the same reel. What did you spool yours with?

#16 Jan-30-18 7:22PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Power Pro 30lb hi-viz braid, and a 20lb Seaguar fluoro leader on a 7'5" t-rig/light jig rod.

#17 Jan-31-18 6:55AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks! I'm going to pair this with the 6'10" Omen Black casting rod. Do you go braid to spool or use mono backing?

#18 Jan-31-18 6:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Houli wrote:

Thanks! I'm going to pair this with the 6'10" Omen Black casting rod. Do you go braid to spool or use mono backing?

Mono backing for sure...will save you a few bucks. In a year or 2 or 3, you can reverse your braid vs tossing it.

BTW leader is not always necessary unless you are going to be handling the line vs netting or lipping the fish. Braid cuts you easily. We use leader when striper fishing so that we can grab the line to bring the fish in. No other reason.

Glad you are going with the Omen, I will set it aside.

#19 Jan-31-18 7:15AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

BTW leader is not always necessary unless you are going to be handling the line vs netting or lipping the fish. Braid cuts you easily. We use leader when striper fishing so that we can grab the line to bring the fish in. No other reason.

I used to use dark green braid and tied direct to lures, but I'm getting old and going blind so I'm trying out hi-viz yellow this year. Think the fish will care about the color?  I've read varying things about it, and pros and cons of a leader and going to try with one first...plus for some reason I love tying knots. I'm OCD too, so if the knot isn't perfect I cut and retie...fishing will be my demise I think!

#20 Jan-31-18 7:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

I used to use dark green braid and tied direct to lures, but I'm getting old and going blind so I'm trying out hi-viz yellow this year. Think the fish will care about the color?  I've read varying things about it, and pros and cons of a leader and going to try with one first...plus for some reason I love tying knots. I'm OCD too, so if the knot isn't perfect I cut and retie...fishing will be my demise I think!

Ha! Nothing worse that tying a weak knot and watching your lure sail away on your cast.

There are some who will swear by line color, line diameter, mono, floro and on and on. I just want to fish.

Board footer