Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-15-17 5:15AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Looking for a Fish Finder for my yak!

I've done some fishing this summer with my kayak and really enjoy it.  Even if I don't get any bites, it's just really calming to be out on the waters.  But, one thing I lack on the kayak is a depth/fish/temp/gps/ finder!  It would be helpful to have some data on water temps, marking, location, etc.  I'm just fishing in the blind right now.

So, the kayak is a feel free lure 11.5 where I have an open pod in order to install a fish finder.  So, I don't believe I'm limited in what to use since the center pod is removable and everything can be placed as a single unit dead center.  In other words, I don't have any limitations other than getting something reasonable in size.  The other thing is pricing....let's not get too pricey! 

So give me your suggestions...pros/cons on what you have and use.  I'm curious to know more. Thanks in advance!!!

#2 Sep-19-17 4:43PM

gonefishing

Re: Looking for a Fish Finder for my yak!

I prefer a larger screen even on my kayayk. The Humminbird Helix 7 is a nice midrange unit. The Lowrance Elite TI series also pack lots of nice features. Also you may want to determine if side scan imaging is important to you or not.

#3 Sep-20-17 3:52AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

gonefishing wrote:

I prefer a larger screen even on my kayayk. The Humminbird Helix 7 is a nice midrange unit. The Lowrance Elite TI series also pack lots of nice features. Also you may want to determine if side scan imaging is important to you or not.

Don't know the significance of side scanning.  I better do some more reading!  Thanks for your feedback!

#4 Sep-22-17 11:36AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I've had a bunch of different models over the years and I have settled on a black and white gps/with maps fishfinder with a 4" screen to best fit my needs. It does excellent on battery life, marks well (although harder to distinguish fish/bait/debris until you get the hang for it), and allows you to easily retrace your steps. I currently have Lowrance Mark 4 that I've been pretty happy with. If you get a larger screen make sure you get more than one battery so you can carry a backup in your truck.

#5 Sep-24-17 4:45PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

gonefishing wrote:

Yup. Helix 7 is an amazing unit. Here's my setup. I added a track rail to my Native Ultimate 12 and use Ram mounts for the unit and the transducer. The whole unit is easily installed and removed leaving nothing but the track during transport. I can also move the entire setup to my Tarpon 120 if needed.

The only reason I didn't go with the Lowrance is that the transducer is huge. Even though it's thinner, I felt like it would have more drag in the water. Both are great units.

https://i.imgur.com/fCT5RwX.png?1  https://i.imgur.com/yAdM2S6.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/kXmuMdB.png?1

Board footer