Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-29-17 5:37AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

8/28 Quantico 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm Almost a Kayak Disaster

Sorry in advance for the pics....not sure who to host pictures from anymore.  I'll take suggestions though.
Checked the weather and realized I have a small window before the rain comes in, so I take off a little early from work and head home to load the kayak.  I'm in a rush to get on the water so I throw the kayak on the roof and strap it down with a couple tie downs (one on each side).  I head on down to my comfort area when I fish alone, which happens to be where I retired from...Quantico.  I'm taking it easy but decide to hit the 50 mph speed once I get to Route 1 heading to the back gate when just in front of the Marine Corps Museum I hear a snap and see that the kayak is dangling off the roof just off the corner of my truck.  I see a splat of white wood (that was once my center console) spray into pieces across the shoulder and I immediately pull over.  Thank goodness no one was around me. 
One strap had come off the rack and the kayak literally did a flip on top of the rood rack since the other strap was still holding.  It pulled the front of my awning down as well with all the pressure (I have a 7 foot awning that is on the roof rack on the passenger side that can be rolled out for shade/picnics, etc).  Everything turned out to be fine, just my bruised ego for not taking more time securing my yak and not putting on my third strap (which I always did before).  I get everything set back up correctly this time and head off the launch.

The loss of the center console for me worked out pretty good.  I easily staked myself in when I reached an area I wanted to work on.
https://pix.sfly.com/xrio7d

Then I had my first Snakehead blow up and it sucked the frog down hard.  I was not in the right mindset and I reacted like I was bass fishing....big mistake.  The frog came flying out like it had wings!
So I continue to cast and bam!  A second blow up and it takes it down less then 5 ft away from the yak and I count to 2.....nope....still too fast.
I continue to work the area and bam the third blow up and now I know....count to 4!  and wa-la! My first little snakehead.
https://pix.sfly.com/VgZjhm

Had a few bass on and a few other blow ups, but I was just happy to make something good of the bad start.  I paddled back with a great view in front.
https://pix.sfly.com/ZufsSa

Lesson Learned.  Don't rush out.....Don't give up the chance to make a bad start into a great day!

#2 Aug-29-17 5:42AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 8/28 Quantico 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm Almost a Kayak Disaster

I've had that happen too - straps were loose - somehow a strap caught on something on the yak & didn't get cinched down. 

Lesson learned - double check everything

Frog fishing's like throwing a buzz bait bait - as much as you want don't set the hook on the blow up set the hook when the rod bends.  Hard to do, I get it

#3 Aug-29-17 6:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice snakie.....

I've been using imgr even though my Photobucket account is still intact

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-29-17 6:53AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Congrats on the SH! If I get a kayak I'll head out there with you.

#5 Aug-29-17 7:29AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Everyone is always welcomed to come along!  There were two other yakers out there but we were all separate.  One of them caught what looked to be a huge bass (I mean I could see it had a huge head from a 100 yds away) and the second yaker went over to help with a photo.  Can't really do selfies!  I'll go check out imgr ernie!

#6 Sep-01-17 12:55PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Glad you averted disaster, could have been bad. The Potomac is fishing tough lately, guess it's just a late Summer lull.

tight lines

Board footer