Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-25-17 6:38PM

Gforrest3997

Nice bass while froggin

Caught a nice 2 and quarter pound bass today froggin around some thick vegetation. I was out bank fishing for about three hours with not even a single blow up in the afternoon. Right when I was about to call it quits, since it was getting pretty dark out, I got the fish. It was actually my first frog fish, and I have never seen a bass with the amount of belly that he had for his size. He was a legit football, you could tell he's been feeding on them frogs lol. It was a relieve to finally catch one on the frog, especially since the day before I missed about 6 blowups. A couple I set the hook to early and the others I actually stuck them pretty good but they kept pulling out my drag and getting unhooked. So I came in with a new game plan, even though I had 30 pound braid I locked down my drag to about 13 pounds, my baitcaster can lock down to about 20, but with lighter line this wasn't necessary. First off, this improved my hookset and second I got to pull the fish out of the mats so they couldn't break me off. When I caught the fish I actually wasn't watching my frog, as I had seen a wake under a tree next to me. I contemplated for about 5 seconds, do I pitch it over there or just ignore it. As soon I was done thinking I gave my popping frog a couple twitches, while still looking at the tree, and Whoosh something big just swallowed my frog. I waited a good 2 seconds and set that hook hard, the fight was good. It was a strong fish that kept trying to go under but couldn't pull my heavy drag that I had set. I then caught another solid pound and some change about 10 minutes later, but he didn't hurl out of water, he just swiped it quickly. I'd say 2 for 2 on hooksets is an improvement from 0 and 6 lol! Frog fishing is so much fun and addicting.

http://imgur.com/a/khkQH

Last edited by Gforrest3997 (Aug-25-17 6:50PM)

#2 Aug-25-17 6:52PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Nice bass while froggin

I felt like I was right there...way to go!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-25-17 6:54PM

Gforrest3997

Ernie wrote:

I felt like I was right there...way to go!

Lol! Thanks.. it was my last day fishing here for the summer, and I made it count! Up to Michigan I go! Till next summer then I get to start froggin again in VA

#4 Aug-25-17 10:27PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Yep - topwater frog fishing is what rekindled my enjoyment of fishing. I grew up panfishing with my dad so I had never really experienced it before.

I think there is definitely a learning curve for setting the hooks with frogs. My first year with Mike and Dave, I was 1/12 on frogs, and got better each year...this year I've only lost a couple and mostly to snakeheads. The best tip Mike gave me is...just wait until you feel the weight of the fish, then set hard.

#5 Aug-26-17 10:28AM

momusau

Nice job! Yeah cranking down that drag is pretty much a must

#6 Aug-28-17 5:07AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Well done!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 Aug-28-17 1:31PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

I have been frogging all summer.  Most fun i have ever had. 

my tips:

set drag to a million pounds on 30+ test.
rip their lips off when setting the hook.
Never let the line slack.
get them in the boat/shore as fast as possible.

Board footer