Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-14-17 6:25PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Introduction - middle aged guy with renewed interest in angling

Hi everyone, my name is Tom. I've been fishing with Captain Mike and Captain Dave for a couple years now. and they got me hooked on top water fishing, and finally my first snakehead last year. I want to get more knowledgeable about fishing techniques and tackle as I invest more time and resources into angling. I'm not new to fishing, but I grew up mostly panfishing from the bank with my dad, as we didn't have a lot of resources and that's what was available to us. I became disinterested in fishing in my teen years when I started to play sports very seriously and pretty much all of my friends didn't fish, so I didn't either. My dad taught me a lot about fishing, and I want to be able to do that with my kids, if not to just get them interested in stuff other than video games. My fondest memories of fishing as a kid was slaying crappie at Triadelphia Reservoir on a light rod with a red tube jig on a bobber, while my dad would reel in a 40lb carp. That's also why I take my dad on a crappie trip with Mike/Dave every year and he lights up every time we go...he starts asking about it in November. So fishing for other species, such as bass and the techniques and tackle used are relatively new to me because I'm almost starting over at this point in my life.

I grew up in Rockville, MD and I live in Potomac, MD with my wife and 2 boys (ages 7 and 4). I'm starting them off with panfishing at our local neighborhood pond that has a lot of stunted bluegills and mudcats. I'm tempted to throw a SH in there, but maybe just a largemouth or two in the near future. I'm currently scouting out places that are close enough to fish for a couple hours with the boys. My dad is 75 now, and he's showing me the places he used to take me, some of which I don't remember at all. Right now my list is Lake Needwood, Lake Whetstone, and Pine Lake because they have stuff the kids can do if they get disinterested. We also go to Sandy Point a couple times in the summer and I get to do some fishing from the rock jetty's, which I also did as a kid using bamboo rods, using grass shrimp for white perch.

Eventually I'd like to be able to knowledgeably pass down angling techniques to my kids, and take them on longer trips, such as landing a nice 4lb'er with Mike and Dave...don't worry guys, I'll give you a heads up that it'll be one of THOSE kinds of trips... In the meantime I'm thinking of buying an electric trolling motor to use at places that have rental boats to start taking the kids on short trips. Anyways, one step at a time.

Looking forward to get to know some of you and learning from you all.

Best regards,

Tom

#2 Aug-14-17 6:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Introduction - middle aged guy with renewed interest in angling

Tom- there are so many places to fish. Make sure you take your kids to Fletcher's next April. Take them out of school if you have to....world class shad fishing. Get there early to reserve a spot.

I can't help you with MD waters but there are some good lakes up there. Just don't know any that might rent a boat.

But I would suggest that when you take the kids fishing, that is what you do....take THEM fishing. They will get bored f you are fishing and they are not catching.

And of course, keep fishing w/ Capts. mike and Dave, you will learn a lot each trip...and have a good time...and have great BBQ in the summer!

Glad you are here....

CCA MD has a couple of kids fishing events each year, check into that.

Also, NHBA has 2 fishing derbies each year (July) at Lake Fairfax in Reston. Always a great time.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-14-17 7:29PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

Tom- there are so many places to fish. Make sure you take your kids to Fletcher's next April. Take them out of school if you nave to....world class shad fishing. Get there early to reserve a spot.

Very interested in that, do they allowed electric trolling motors? Mike mentioned his shad trips, and I'll probably take my dad on that trip.

Ernie wrote:

I can't help you with MD waters but there are some good lakes up there. Just don't know any that might rent a boat.

But I would suggest that when you take the kids fishing, that is what you do....take THEM fishing. They will get bored f you are fishing and they are not catching.

Yeah, a day of not catching becomes difficult with the kids at their age. That's why I mostly take them to the pond because I know they'll catch 4-5" bluegills and mudcats. That's also why I'm scouting other spots first before I take them. I tried Lake Needwood the other day and it was hot and they became irritant after 30 minutes. So we packed it up and took them out on the peddle boats.

Ernie wrote:

And of course, keep fishing w/ Capts. mike and Dave, you will learn a lot each trip...and have a good time...and have great BBQ in the summer!

Most definitely, the day they have to take my kids out will be a day the REALLY earn that charter. =]

Ernie wrote:

Glad you are here....

CCA MD has a couple of kids fishing events each year, check into that.

Also, NHBA has 2 fishing derbies each year (July) at Lake Fairfax in Reston. Always a great time.

I'll check them out, also do you mind if I start a fishing journal in this forum?  I think it'll be a good way to get my thoughts out and get knowledge feedback from the others.

#4 Aug-15-17 6:50AM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

Very interested in that, do they allowed electric trolling motors?

Yes

Junger wrote:

also do you mind if I start a fishing journal in this forum?  I think it'll be a good way to get my thoughts out and get knowledge feedback from the others.

Go for it!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Aug-15-17 7:04AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Welcome aboard Tom! I also learned from shore fishing as a young child from my father.  I recall not catch much, but loved it right away.  I'll even post a picture of my young self if I can find it!  I stock the pond behind my house through the HOA with feeder fish and ensure there is vegetation for cover.  I even had the company add fish structure when we had to rebuild the run off.  But, I suggest you stick to only blue gills, crappie, catfish and bass for moving fish around.  It'll be enough with some quality ones to really get the kids excited.

#6 Aug-15-17 9:33AM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Welcome,  Tom,  right?   

Get to know the guys on this forum Tom and you'll never want for a fishing partner. (especially if you can occasionally take off during the week...LOL) 

Wealth of knowledge.

#7 Aug-15-17 9:38AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

dave wrote:

Welcome,  Tom,  right?   

Get to know the guys on this forum Tom and you'll never want for a fishing partner. (especially if you can occasionally take off during the week...LOL) 

Wealth of knowledge.

Yep, it's me Dave, yep that's why I'm here, to learn like a sponge!

#8 Aug-15-17 1:24PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger - young one? Sounds German to me.

Welcome aboard to this little corner of the bait shack

Not much into lakes, but anything you want to know about local rivers, I'm here to help

Came to the right coast in '93, started fishing from a canoe & kayak and haven't stopped since

#9 Aug-15-17 3:11PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Welcome Tom to a peaceful knowledge filled fishing board.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#10 Aug-15-17 3:56PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Welcome Tom.  I fish Upper and Lower Potomac and Lakes in VA.  Kids need fast action.  Once you get them hooked, introduce lures.  Once they catch one on a lure, that may spark a passion or even obsession like many of us have.  Go whenever you can and catch what is biting.  Do not limit yourself.  Patterns will materialize.  It is about the experience of being out in nature, forgetting about your hectic life...

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#11 Aug-16-17 7:17AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Welcome, Tom! I grew up in moco then moved to hoco after I got married and that is when I started fishing. I'm really familiar with fishing the hoco area. I haven't fished moco very much but I still try to keep tabs on it. I don't know about the smaller lakes but you can rent boats at Liberty Reservoir. I know it might be further than you'd like with kids but it's a nice place to fish. I think Clopper and Black Hills rents boats as well, but I hear there is a lot of fishing pressure there. I've only fished at each of those places once so I don't have much else to offer about them.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#12 Aug-16-17 10:36AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

firemunkee wrote:

Welcome, Tom! I grew up in moco then moved to hoco after I got married and that is when I started fishing. I'm really familiar with fishing the hoco area. I haven't fished moco very much but I still try to keep tabs on it. I don't know about the smaller lakes but you can rent boats at Liberty Reservoir. I know it might be further than you'd like with kids but it's a nice place to fish. I think Clopper and Black Hills rents boats as well, but I hear there is a lot of fishing pressure there. I've only fished at each of those places once so I don't have much else to offer about them.

Liberty looks amazing, I will definitely check it out, I'll hit you up for some tips when I do! I've been looking up trolling motors, but they all seem to be transom mounts that would be compatible with rental rowboats. I was hoping to be able to buy one trolling motor now, that I could potentially use down the road when I get my own boat (got the go ahead from the wife unit after we renovate the house!), but I don't think that's possible.

#13 Aug-16-17 10:49AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

drxfish wrote:

Welcome Tom.  I fish Upper and Lower Potomac and Lakes in VA.  Kids need fast action.  Once you get them hooked, introduce lures.  Once they catch one on a lure, that may spark a passion or even obsession like many of us have.  Go whenever you can and catch what is biting.  Do not limit yourself.  Patterns will materialize.  It is about the experience of being out in nature, forgetting about your hectic life...

Yep, they're having fun right now and it's a good sign, when I ask them if they want to go fishing they jump. We have fast action at our local pond so we just go there for now. Hopefully soon they'll have enough patience and I'm going to rig a senko and see if they can hook up with a LMB. I'm taking them out on the Bay for some striper/bottom fishing in September too.

#14 Aug-16-17 1:31PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Junger wrote:

Liberty looks amazing, I will definitely check it out, I'll hit you up for some tips when I do! I've been looking up trolling motors, but they all seem to be transom mounts that would be compatible with rental rowboats. I was hoping to be able to buy one trolling motor now, that I could potentially use down the road when I get my own boat (got the go ahead from the wife unit after we renovate the house!), but I don't think that's possible.

I've only been to Liberty once and we didn't do so well haha. I am a shore fisherman so that was my first time trying to apply all the boat fishing knowledge I've only ever read about. Same theory applies to both kinds of fishing but on shore you can't position yourself or get to spots like you can with a boat. The only other times I've fished from a boat was with Ernie, and he knew everything so all I had to do was listen to his advice! lol

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#15 May-03-18 9:04PM

gonefishing

Take your kids on one of Captain Mikes Crappie trips.

Last edited by gonefishing (May-03-18 9:04PM)

Board footer