Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-10-17 6:00AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Poquoson Flats & Ware River 7/8-7/9

Took the boat down to Poquoson Saturday morning to fish the flats. Been wanting to try out this area for years.

I got on the water about 6am and spent the first couple hours throwing topwaters around the marsh banks. I caught several houndfish and C&R'd one 20" speck on a pink spook, but that was it for the surface bite.

https://s20.postimg.org/4eu2gmfod/20170708_064906.jpg

A while later I found a school of little specks popping in a creek and hooked a couple on jigs before leaving to look for bigger fish. As the sun came up I switched to a popping cork on the flats but all that caught was more houndfish. Really surprised I didn't catch some trout and reds out over the grass, cause man does it look good out there.

By late morning the wind was really kicking up so I headed inside the Back River to look for puppy drum. I threw a spinnerbait along some pilings and immediately hooked into a very large cownose ray that snapped my 30lb braid like dental floss. Tied on another and eventually hooked into a fat lower slot red. That was my last bite and I headed in around 1:30.

https://s20.postimg.org/i78hc96fx/20170708_120606.jpg

The wind forecast wasn't looking good for Poquoson on Sunday so I launched in the Ware River instead. I spent the whole morning fishing some beautiful grass but couldn't find the large trout I was hoping for. I did catch one little speck, several schoolie stripers, a bunch of croakers, a kingfish, and more houndfish. Most of the fish were caught jigging. I probably had a dozen bites on topwater but only hooked one small striper, not sure what the others were. The water was ridiculously warm, it ranged from 82-87 throughout the day. I can't wait to get back there when it cools down a bit, cause I'm sure that grass holds a lot of fish at times.

tight lines

#2 Jul-10-17 6:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Poquoson Flats & Ware River 7/8-7/9

Houndfish are cool, great jumpers...and stinky!

Looks like a very nice outing!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-10-17 4:37PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Poquoson Flats & Ware River 7/8-7/9

Very cool!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer