Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-02-17 11:00AM

KnightAngler

Anyone have experience with inflatable fishing boats?

Hello all,

So I'm trying to get on the water on a budget and I don't really have storage space at my Arlington apartment for a physical boat. I was taking a look at inflatables recently and wanted to get some opinions.

I plan to fish mostly on Burke Lake, Occoquan Reservoir, Beaverdam Creek Resevoir (when it opens again), and maybe on the Potomac around Fletcher's Cove. Most of the time I will be fishing with a buddy and my balance isn't great, so I didn't want to get a kayak.

This is the inflatable boat I'm currently looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Excursion-5-Pers … ms?ie=UTF8

I figured it's pretty cheap and if it works well, I can dish out some more money to add accessories: motor, motor mount, hard floor with plywood, etc.

I did a little research and for the most part, inflatables seem like a good way to go. The biggest cons being they don't handle well in wind and they can get holes if you bump into rocks or a sharp stump; oh and hooks obviously. I'm hoping the wind issue can be solved with an anchor (maybe one at each end). And I imagine holes will come eventually, but worst case scenario I could just buy another $100 boat.

If anyone has experience with them, please let me know. I'm a bit worried that a catfish pectoral fin would just pop it as soon as I land it haha.

Last edited by KnightAngler (May-02-17 11:01AM)

#2 May-02-17 11:37AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Anyone have experience with inflatable fishing boats?

My sister-in-law's husband just bought a very similar one, but it is the 4 seater model and for some reason twice as expensive haha: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMBTCHW

Obviously it won't handle as well as a kayak but he bought it for the exact same reason you did. No motor and all that jazz for him though, so if you do all that I think it will be pretty nice for those places you listed. He's fit and in the military so rowing isn't a problem for him. An anchor is a must. The times where it didn't catch we were blown around easily, but when it did the boat stayed in place. The material seemed pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't go around running into every rock and driving catfish fins into on purpose tongue If you rig it up with the plywood you should be pretty good to go. The nice thing is the separate chambers so that if you do get a puncture, you're not completely sunk.

We were able to stand on the 4 person version, and this 5 person one I assume is bigger so should be more stable. We still had to be cautious when standing but it was very doable. Also if you install the plywood floor it should be even easier to stand.

It's a good watercraft for lakes and calm rivers. If you're planning to fish Fletcher's or even just being out on the Potomac then I would say a motor is must, otherwise you'll be rowing for HOURS trying to get there. That's assuming you launch from Gravelly Point. I guess with an inflatable you could maybe launch up stream from Fletcher's but then you might have to go through some turbulent waters, then back up said waters.

It's like choosing a car; there are tons of options, some nicer than others, but they all get the job done and it depends on your means and situation. All in all I say it is a good choice given your situation. You'll have a portable boat that won't take up as much space and you can get out on the water big_smile

Look forward to seeing all the fish you land with it!

Last edited by firemunkee (May-02-17 11:38AM)

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#3 May-02-17 11:44AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I would not get one unless you like getting wet. Underwear soaking wet all the time. They hold water inside and no amount of bailing will remove that wet seat.

Also they are not as stable as they look. You will sit down in the water line so casting is not easy.

Hire a guide, rent a boat, Find a used kayak..

My two cents and hope it helps..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 May-02-17 4:22PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I agree with Captain Mike.  I had an Avon (much more heavy duty that took a 4hp motor) and it was a pain with wind and eventually air leaks.  It will last you maybe a year and you will look at something more permanent.  If you just want something for a year or so, go for it and hopefully have some fun with it.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#5 May-02-17 4:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

Hopefully Khahn will see this and weigh in since he has some experience.....some inflatables do OK but most do not, as stated above.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 May-03-17 12:42PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

As a note, my sister-in-law and her husband brought their pit bull on the boat with them and she didn't cause any holes.

#7 May-04-17 7:11AM

KnightAngler

hey guys,

Thanks very much for all your input. I think I'm going to try one out. I've rented jon boats every year, but that cost adds up quick if you like to fish a lot. I'm actually going to get the one that Firemunkee posted. After reading reviews, that one holds up better to wear and tear.

Concerning the getting wet thing, I have a plan. I'm going to cutout two pieces of plywood in the shape of the floor. I'll sand the edges and coat it in something to make it waterproof. Supposedly this flooring should make it more than stable enough to stand and cast. I'll also probably ditch the inflatable seats and get a foldable swivel chair like this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O … E0CFLN81HP

I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

#8 May-04-17 7:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

$118 for an inflatable is cheap - I'd be worried about durability if a hook hits gets close to it, dragging up on shore, or the sun.

I have an Outcast Pac800 with upgraded Maxxim toons.  The toons alone list at around $800, but they are solid.

Mike's right, you will get wet, but proper clothing will fix that and in the summer, getting wet's not w bad thing

Here's my boat w/ 8' toons.  Note the ground it's sitting on.  One of those twigs could put a hole in the boat on Amazon.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/Holeinthewallcamping.jpg

With the toons deflated, the fit in a box, and the frame stacks in the corner w/ the oars.  Easy storage.

If you do get the inflatable, get a repair kit every couple years because the solvents & adhesives age, get some quick patch tape for on the water repairs, and definitely get a k-pump to top off the boat on the water because even inflated, with temp changes during the day, you'll need to add a few pumps every now and then.

I'd entertain selling this boat.  I've upgraded the oars to graphite Cataraft, two sets of toons, k-pump, straps, valve tool, valve repair kit, and a k-pump w/ extra gaskets. added swivel piece for the seal and done allot more mods on it too.  This boat will handle class III river rapids like a dream and the seat is a lazy boy on the water.  But no where close to $118.  With inflatables, you will get what you pay for.

And you will get wet in this boat

Last edited by hookup (May-04-17 7:54AM)

#9 May-04-17 10:20AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't know what a k-pump is but the pump the Intex comes with works well and can be carried on board to refill air if needed. My SIL's husband has done that. It actually pumped the air chambers pretty quickly (not sure if the operator had something to do with it haha). Took less than 10 minutes to pump it all up and be on the water. YMMV

#10 May-05-17 7:32AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Best portable pump on the market

http://www.aire.com/accessories/k-pump.asp

http://www.aire.com/images/AIRE_OSG_K_Pump_Catalog_n.jpg

Last edited by hookup (May-05-17 7:33AM)

#11 May-06-17 11:54PM

gonefishing

I'm not a big fan of inflatables. At least not the entry level ones. Another thing to consider is the time it takes to get setup and break stuff down with an inflatable. I've seen a few rafts at Fountainhead, and it looks like a pain in the butt. Also, getting wet sucks, especially in colder water temps. I like to fish year round, so that would not be an option for me.

I'd rather load my fishing gear in my truck, back the trailer into the water and go fish.  Do yourself a favor and get a used Jon Boat.  If you look around you can find a good deal. A riveted jon boat would be good enough for where you plan to fish, and it's also lighter.  They last forever, easy to mod, mount fish finders, rod holders etc. You can also use an electric trolling motor and or gas motor. You can find a used 2stroke Evinrude or Johnson 9.9 for around $500-$600 bucks on craigslist.  These are solid motors with replacement parts still available online. Having a gas motor is very nice for getting to your spot quicker and exploring.

If a gas motor is not in your immediate budget, you can always buy one later. At least with an electric trolling motor you will be able to get around and manage the wind better. You'll be able to the fish electric only parks like Burke Lake and Beaverdam.  Fountain Head allows up to a 9.9 HP motor, but I see electric boats there all the time.  On an inflatable you have to worry more about weight capacity and having enough room for fishing tackle, rods, coolers etc. It's tight enough in a 14ft Jon Boat, it would be worse in an inflatable.

In my opinion this is a much better setup for fishing two people.  Not to mention if you buy a used one, it will hold its value.

Last edited by gonefishing (May-06-17 11:58PM)

#12 Jun-05-17 10:08AM

KnightAngler

So I ended up going with both a entry level kayak and an inflatable. I intend to use the kayak when I'm just trying to get out on the water, and I will use the inflatable when a friend wants to come along. I couldn't possibly swing a jon boat because I live in an apartment.

Here is the kayak I got: http://imgur.com/8nmoIVK.png
It's a Cayman 124 Angler Kayak which I got for $300 from Dicks. I thought it was a pretty good value considering the features. I tried it out and seemed really nice for my first time on a kayak. Only complaints are the seat (not much back support) and it doesn't track perfectly but that's expected with a shorter kayak.

Here is the Mariner 4 inflatable: http://imgur.com/sdWGJ1r.png
I created a hard wood floor which I carpeted, and use a pair of collapsable swivel seats. Also, got 36 lb trolling motor. Setup takes about 15 - 20 min which is a pain but I think I can get it down to around 10 min with some practice and an battery powered air pump. Very comfortable ride and stable.

thanks again for all your input.

Last edited by KnightAngler (Jun-05-17 11:38AM)

Board footer