Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-08-17 9:14AM

jerrys

Kephart Bridge Landing Question

Ernie recently permitted me to become a member of this forum.  I live in Ashburn Village and have had some success fly fishing the lakes there (not nearly the success that I've been reading here from Curly though).  As soon as the weather cooperates, I was going to attempt some small mouth fly fishing on Goose Creek down by Kephart Bridge Landing (I'm assuming that I'd fish from the Kephart Bridge Landing area upstream heading back towards Riverside Pkwy).  I'm hoping that some of you on this board have fished that area before and can provide me with some additional information like whether it can be waded with hip boots or chest waders or if I'd be better off in a canoe, float tube or kayak, etc.  I guess I could always head down there and do a reconnaissance mission before heading out there with gear and trudging around only to find out that I have the wrong setup but figured I'd ask first.  Thanks in advance.  Jerry

#2 Mar-08-17 10:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Kephart Bridge Landing Question

I've only fished there out of a kayak but I believe that others have waded or walked the banks. Hope they chime in.

Welcome to the forum...look forward to seeing you out there with the long stick.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-08-17 10:56AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Welcome aboard Jerry.  I'm not too familiar with the site either, but this is the place to come for information!  Paul

#4 Mar-08-17 11:20AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

I haven't fished upstream from Kephart, but I've fished the bank from there to the Potomac a few times. Difficult to fish because the path is away from the water for the most part and the bank is fairly steep. There are some spots you can fish, but not many. Once you get near the Potomac, you can fish the bank of either waterway without problems. I tried wading that stretch of Goose Creek, but it was very slippery and treacherous...so I gave up. I've caught mostly smallies in that part of Goose Creek, and an occasional largemouth. I was going to try kayaking from Kephart down, but in the summer, there wasn't enough water to do so without difficulty. Good luck.

#5 Mar-08-17 12:59PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I have fished the bank often

The water flow varies.  I've see it so low you can walk across the creek getting only your ankles wet and I've seen it so high it would be unsafe to enter the water. 

Further upstream are some nice area's to explore along with the confluence ;-)

#6 Mar-08-17 1:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

You can also get down to the Goose from the north western side of Riverside Pkwy.

You have to park on one of the rods in the development.

From the web: To get there, start east of Leesburg on VA 7 and turn north onto Belmont Ridge Road.  Turn left onto Riverside Parkway and cross Goose Creek.   Take the next left onto Rocky Creek Drive, about 100 yards after crossing the creek. There is no parking along Riverside so park on Rocky Creek Drive. 

The access is an unpaved path on upstream side (NW) of the Riverside Parkway bridge.  The path goes under the bridge to the downstream side.  The take-out eddy is about 50 yards below the bridge, on river left and just below the washed-out dam.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Mar-09-17 5:09AM

darbrewe

The Little Falls gauge is your friend. I have found that once it is below 3 ft, alot of water opens up for wading on Goosey.
If you go river right from the parking lot at keparts, you can wade a  hundred yds or so down stream.

#8 Mar-09-17 6:10AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I used to fish from RT 7 down to riverside quite a bit. A few years ago all the fish disappeared. I was out one day and saw a bunch of guys go by casting a net into the water and that explained it. The section from the landing down to the river was good. Nothing huge in the way of fish, but on an ultra-light or fly rod you will be entertained.

#9 Mar-09-17 6:18AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

a bunch of guys go by casting a net into the water

Why I avoid these area's now.

#10 Mar-09-17 8:03AM

jerrys

Thanks for all the good information.  I appreciate it.  I'll make sure to report back with status once I have the opportunity to get down there and try it out.

#11 Mar-09-17 11:56AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I've always wanted to try fishing this area, but just never made it out. Looking forward to the report!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer