Ernie
Administrator

2016 State of the Bay, Chesapeake Bay Foundation

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jan-06-17 5:59AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 2016 State of the Bay, Chesapeake Bay Foundation

That was very informative, good to see we're on the right path. I especially liked this:

Between 2014 and 2015, underwater grasses increased by 21 percent to 91,621 acres. This represents the highest value in the last three decades and the highest ever-recorded by the Virginia Institute of Marine Science’s annual aerial survey.

tight lines

#3 Jan-06-17 8:46AM

Ernie
Administrator

I talk to JP Williams (Sr. Scientist at CBF) every time I am in the Severn, which is lot in the summer. I report what I see and that is that more grass is prevalent. I don't fish the bay much in the summer but next year I want to do a couple of trips to the islands on the eastern shore. I love that area. Capt. Dennis will be my ride. Should be able to see lots of grass over there. And that's where the specks hide!

#4 Jan-06-17 10:32AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

It's amazing how much life the grass holds. Specks certainly do love it, and so does everything else. I haven't been to those Eastern shore islands but the pics are definitely impressive. We have some decent grassy spots on this side of the bay but I think they get a lot more pressure.

tight lines

#5 Jan-06-17 12:41PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

They need to stop Omega Proteins from dregging up all the menhaden every summer and convince them to head to the midwest and suck up all the flying Asian carp.

#6 Jan-06-17 12:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

You are so right but "they" is a huge ordeal. CCA and other organizations have fought this for years with little success, unfortunately. I've gone to Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission meetings and they get very little done. Bureacracy at its best!

Politics (jobs) in Richmond plays huge here.....

Board footer